Memory and Cognitive Functionality and Issues

Memory loss / Issues and Cognitive Functionality

• Anti-epileptic drug(s) worsens the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • Anti-epileptic drug(s) does not change the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Surgery worsens the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • Surgery improved the Memory / Cognitive issues only after some therapy(ies) to a degree

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Surgery improved the Memory / Cognitive issues only after some therapy(ies) nearly completely

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • VNS improved the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • VNS with Anti-epileptic drug(s) improved the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • VNS worsen the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • VNS with Anti-epileptic drug(s) worsen the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • None of the above applies

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brain

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
This poll here is PRIVATE out of respect for others.

Anti-epileptic drug(s), Surgery, Seizures, Genetic, Mitochondrial,
just to name a few - can impact individuals with Epilepsy with
their memory and/or cognitive functionality.

In this poll, is very simple question with simple answers,
and you may respond to all that applies without any worries
anyone knowing who voted for what; for as implied: it is
private.

There are many Neuroscience, Neurology, Pharmacology, and
even to Psychiatry - which expounds on Memory Loss and
Cognitive Function in association with Epilepsy.

For the first time - I am not posting any articles pertaining to
such as the matters are so vast and broad-spanned it would
consume pages just to post the various never-ending articles
pertaining to such matter! I am leaving it as it is; solely up to
the voter to vote as it pertains to them.

I freely

admit to having had memory issues both from the AEDs, and the bloomin' seizures. In particular, my lovely t/c's. For me, my t/c's are almost the equivalent of a stroke.......I turn into a 2 year old for about a week. And sleep for 18 to 24 hours after the fact.

I still don't remember portions of my childhood, or my children's for that matter. If I see pictures......I can pull parts of it out, but it's not particularly easy for me to do. Quite often it brings tears to my eyes doing so........:paperbag:

You are not alone ... certainly not alone!

Boy can I relate to that!! it is a good thing my hubby and I have been married for so long, he reminds me by filling in the gaps. Gee even our dog has learned to compensate...he rattles his bowl when I forget to feed or water him. :banana:

Other than during and immediately right after a seizure my memory is quite good.I thought my memory issues were E related but my WADA test came back very good. My Dr said my memory in both sides is great and my Hippocampi are very healthy. So I guess its mostly middle aged forgetfulness that I suffer from.

I have problems with memory issues and also stumbling over words alot, which the problems have seemed to get worse over time. I have wondered if it is my seizures causing this or my meds as I am on 3 different meds currently along with the RNS. I really wonder though if it is my seizures as my focal point is right where my memory and speech functions are. Has anyone else ever had the same experience? My Hippocampus is one of my focal points and the other is the temporal lobe.

Last edited:
I have problems with memory issues and also stumbling over words alot, which the problems have seemed to get worse over time. I have wondered if it is my seizures causing this or my meds as I am on 3 different meds currently along with the RNS. I really wonder though if it is my seizures as my focal point is right where my memory and speech functions are. Has anyone else ever had the same experience? My Hippocampus is one of my focal points and the other is the temporal lobe.

I've had the same thing for 28 years, I strongly believe it's because of the meds.

Randy

It seems like over the past couple years my short term memory is going. Ask me the names of my elementary teachers I can list them off. I could even tell you their hair color, and if they wore glasses or not. But ask me what I had for breakfast, lunch, and dinner yesterday I couldn't tell you.

s10sleeper said:
I have problems with memory issues and also stumbling over words a lot, which the problems have seemed to get worse over time.

I do that occasionally, but I believe it's a case of Dysgraphia. It's like Dyslexia is a way, just in reverse. IE: Instead of having trouble reading, the problem is writing correctly. Here is an couple example for you.

ex. A person wanting to type this sentence may type the following:

A peirsen wontin to type is sentenc may type he following.

I've always had this problem. But I was never tested for it. I can read and process the text fine. The problem lies when I want to write or type. In my mind I know what I want to write or type. But it doesn't go that way. Somewhere along the line the wires get crossed. I end up typing the wrong words, miss words, or completely different things altogether. While I typed the above text after the example I had at least 10-20 errors.
Unless I type slowly and get spell check help, those errors would have been posted.

I don't think the AED's have added to my memory problem. IMO I blame the beast itself for the problem.

Ive had Epilepsy for 31 years so Ive got alot of experince with anticonvolsants. In the begining the only Meds availible were Dilantain, Phenabarbitol and valium. Ive tryed them all! I think that the drugs that work with G.A.B.A in the brain cause postictal Phycosis in my case because when I take those drugs and seize I would go through a posticial period for about 45 min. after the seizure just trying to escape from I dont know what. All I can remember of the episodes is the extream fear or excitment.

That sounds very scary Mike.
I know the meds changed my daughters behavior quite a lot. I am glad that she remains med free.

Fear of the unknown is the worst part of the seizure!

I would love to be med free but I dont want to rock the boat! Im having really great control over my seizure disorder on my meds and nerofeedback therapy. I dont ever want to seize again! Seizure freedom is like a new chance at everything....LIFE

Hi I'm new here, but memory issues are a big part of why I'm here. I have complex partial seizures, and under 3 medications. Taking Trileptal/Zonisamide/Keppra. Since I been under Keppra passed 3 yrs it's been weird with my moods and anger. I'm about to go to college, but the way my memory is I don't know if I can get through it. I don't really know what's worse having a seizure or taking the medications. What's really hurting me more? That's my questions, and I don't know if the doctor can even help. I'm really into getting info on surgery. I believe that's the next best thing. If anyone has any information for me I'm up for that about anything. I really like this website. Wish everyone the best.

Hi I'm new here, but memory issues are a big part of why I'm here. I have complex partial seizures, and under 3 medications. Taking Trileptal/Zonisamide/Keppra. Since I been under Keppra passed 3 yrs it's been weird with my moods and anger. I'm about to go to college, but the way my memory is I don't know if I can get through it. I don't really know what's worse having a seizure or taking the medications. What's really hurting me more? That's my questions, and I don't know if the doctor can even help. I'm really into getting info on surgery. I believe that's the next best thing. If anyone has any information for me I'm up for that about anything. I really like this website. Wish everyone the best.

Surgery is a desperate last resort for intractable seizures IMHO. Complex partial seizures certainly affects ones life, but unless there is an identifiable lesion in your brain for your docs to remove, I think you risk trading a bad situation for a permanently worse situation. I have a friend who had surgery for outlandishly bad grand mal, and it has diminished his capacities, permanently.

Thing is, as time and research go on, the odds are that a safe and effective treatment will be found. Better to wait sez I.

"No one wastes so much time as a man in a hurry."
-Unknown

Wishing you, lilmegzy, and all of us, the best of luck.

:pop:

I would love to be med free but I dont want to rock the boat! Im having really great control over my seizure disorder on my meds and nerofeedback therapy. I dont ever want to seize again! Seizure freedom is like a new chance at everything....LIFE

Mike, please let us know everything about your situation before and after EEG neurofeedback. Any chance of you starting a thread on this topic?

:clap:

I will tell everything, Ive had surgery It altered my life in some ways. My focus was right temprol lobe so they removed 2/3s of it. It changed the way feel about certain things like God. It didnt work for me but if I had it to do again I would still try because seizure freedom is so cool!!! The surgery sent me on a quest to find somthing that would work for me. I elected to have this surgery because meds didnt work for nearly 30 years. I wish that I had found Nerofeedback before the right temprol lobectomy that only made things worse before it got better. By the way ever hear of Keppra Rage. I believe that nerofeedback helps to counteract this in me also. I have loged every thing since 1998 when I had the brain surgery. I would like to start a thread on this topic, Im sure someone could find some usefull information. Isnt that why were here, to learn from each others experinces? I would really enjoy helping if thats possible. It would give everything we go through some meaning. suffering makes no sence to me at all unless of course its for the benefit of others.

Boy can I relate to that!! it is a good thing my hubby and I have been married for so long, he reminds me by filling in the gaps. Gee even our dog has learned to compensate...he rattles his bowl when I forget to feed or water him. :banana:

My budgie has worked out that if he flies past me enough times and clips me on the head with each swoop, then i'll remember to come feed him :p

The female one is lazy and lets him do the work :pfft:

My memory is getting terrible. Long term seems to be fine, but anything in the short term just doesn't stick in there. I get into trouble at work for forgetting to do stuff, and get called "daft" or "silly" a lot.

your luckey you have someone with you and me too,remember that. Some people go through epilepsy alone. Thats a scary thought.

Back
Top Bottom