Memory loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I agree with others posters, it's so nice to have found a forum to express feelings and thoughts to others who understand because of similar experiences, and who are not just listening to make me feel better and seeing it from the outside.

I've only been on Keppra for 3 months (been at 1000mg twice a day for about 6 weeks now) and I have problems with my memory now. My short time memory can get really bad when I'm medicated, and I have a real bad time with word recollection. This is especially troubling since I have to facilitate a lot of meetings in my job and convey information to others on a frequent basis, and often using technical lingo. It's very weird, frustrating and sometimes scary to experience memory problems and not being able to think of a simple word, let alone say it. I've started to have slight panic attacks when I can't talk and get some information across, and I really worry how stupid I seem to the other party.

Even now, I've forgotten the name of the poster who started this thread and things like that I could normally remember. I really do hope that as the months go on, I'll adjust to the meds and these side effects will start to fade. Fingers crossed. Just don't forget what you crossed them for!

I was on keppra and it was the worst meds ever for me. It made me feel like i was going crazy but the neuro thought i was just been paranoid. Im not on it now and i feel great. I felt very depressed and down on keppra and i just wasnt me. But now i have been off it 3 month and i feel great. My memory is a ittle better but its still not great.

I don't know how long I should give it to see if the side effects of the Keppra fade out. I'm also not sure how much I want to change either. Maybe I'm too attached to the Keppra since it's given me the first relief from the seizures that I've ever had.

I asked my bf b4 posting, he laughed cuz my lack of memory is a standing joke in our house. I have a keychain that says "Keys I haven't lost YET". I'm lucky everyone understands and I have a tendency to collect things. I find that holding items helps jog my memory.

I guess the only advantage of Memory loss in my case is that I get to watch several movies over and over. My boyfriend says it's like "50 First Dates".

British guy the side affects got worse with me even though they stopped my seizures. I cudnt stand the side affects. The memory loss is a disadvantage and people think im doing it so i dont have to listen join in withconvo etc but its actually happening.

My memory is ok somedays, and somedays its really bad. I dont take meds either. Somedays my memory plays tricks on me, like de-ja-vu. Im not always sure. I keep a small planner with me most of the time, especially when I got to see the doctors or when Im at work. I hate the feeling that Im forgetting something important. I sometimes panic because I think I have forgotten and dr's appt or to do something at work. I have not been diagnosed as having auras/seizures yet. My memory loss/episodes may be related to brain surgery. I dont know and neither do they (dr's). I hope you find resolution to your memory problem. I wish you the best : )

Thanks maryltyme. My memory is getting a little bit better but i dont know. I have the deja vu feeling as well and it makes me feel sick. Hope you get sorted too. Keep in touch maryltym and let me know.

British guy the side affects got worse with me even though they stopped my seizures.

You said earlier that you used to be on Keppra and then stopped it. Can I ask if you are taking anything in its place for seizures? I'd be happy to try something other than Keppra if there is a chance it might work for me. I've read about Topomax and Depokote, but the potential side effects of both of those sound a little worse than the Keppra to me, especially since they both come with the memory and word recollection problems.

I'm glad your memory is getting better though.

Its comforting to find out its just not me I can relate since I forget even my name and where I live whom I am married to all of which is important. This happens when I have auros or seizures. I do finally come around and remember these facts. I have forgotten alot of my childhood I have 5 siblings so when we walk down memory lane I don't remember most of what they are talking about which is very disconcerning. I have tried to remember these facts but to no avail. Now the meds seem to make things harder to remember I believe.

The meds were terrible although they were stopoing my seizure the side ffects wer unreal. Neuri would not believe me. My memory has good and bad days. I think its gettin better slowly and i hope yours does too.

I guess the only advantage of Memory loss in my case is that I get to watch several movies over and over. My boyfriend says it's like "50 First Dates".

I know about that. I can watch all the Tv repeats that are on in the summer and it's like a whole new season for me!

My girlfriend is going through this and it's really upsetting her.

I hope I can get her to visit this site to meet you guys and be able to relate. I can only do so much not having Epilepsy myself :(

hi aaron it will upset her it upset me when i first found out. i dont know how she feels but i know exactly what shes going through, yeah keep trying to get her to visit this site. its helped me so much, its nice to know i can relate to others on hear which is a blessing in itself. if you need any advice please dont hesitate to ask me. ill try my best to help you. b

Hi crazychick, Thanks for the reply. It has been 3 years but I finally think she is ready to start accepting it.

Hopefully will be heading to the next support group in our area on the 15th Feb. If she isn't ready for it I will be heading there myself just to get more of an understanding and talk to people myself.

In saying that, I've been having trouble accepting it as well, hence only having joined this forum now rather than earlier.

i must admit im a bit scared to go to the support groups myself, i dont know why i just am. i was only diagnosed last march. what meds is your gf on?

I too have memory loss, not sure if it is from my brain lesion or seizures? I don't remember anything, I too don't remember what people tell me. I am vimpat and Gabapentin and plus alot of other meds. I have multiple sclerosis and that is the problem so it could be that or many other things, but can totally relate to having memory problems.

I take Vimpat and Gaba, too, although I'm coming off the Gabapentin. I have a poor short term memory. My short term memory is also not great (har har). When I was on Tegretol years ago, my boss in work would ask me to do something, and I would forget all about it within 10 seconds. That was one of the reasons I had to leave my job. Things aren't quite as bad as back then, but it's still dodgy enough. I think to myself that there's something I need to do, then a few minutes later I can't remember what it was.

Sorry to veer off topic for a second, but the main problems I have found with Vimpat & Gaba are not being able to find the right word (Vimpat), ie. getting stuck in a conversation, can't complete a sentence, and having waaaay over active reflexes, especially when I trip up (Gabapentin).

Back
Top Bottom