Migraines and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've taken magnesium daily for several months now. It really hasn't helped me much, at least that I can notice. I take a bunch of supplements (approved by my doc). More than I want to list here.

I talked with my PCP about the headache and she has no suggestions except for taking painkillers or a prophylactic drug. Drugs aren't my preferred solution for a constant daily headache. I'm dizzy, too, so I suspect it's the Lamictal. These are two pretty common side effects. (and yes, I'm drinking plenty of water and my blood pressure is fine) I left a message for my epi. We'll see what he has to say.

I've also been getting sporadic dizzy spells from the Lamictal. I was in 2 elevators yesterday and noticed after going down-- woah! I felt like I was gonna fall off the planet. Going up was OK though.

My headaches have been constant, but usually not super painful that I'm down & out. Just enough to be annoying-- I guess I should consider myself lucky. No migraines the last few days, thank God!!!

Lilmiss- I hear you on the Lamictal issue. I would definitly blame the Lamictal if it weren't for the 4 day long horrible migraine one week before seeing my neuro. Ever since then its been getting worse- I started Lamictal that day and got off of Tegretol XR over the next few months after that.
I thought the Lamictal was giving me some type of reaction but it isn't. I did some research on Butalbital since I take it for migraines and then Lamictal. Lamictal is under the FDA approval process and they say it reduces pain and can possibly be used as a migraine treatment. Weird!
I will be complain to neuro when I go later this month. I can't deal with migraines that make me so sick. I do not vomit but I wish I could. My mouth waters up and my jaws get tight just like youre going to get sick. I hide out in my studio in the dark and sometimes I will play my keyboards to get my mind of of things but I feel so bad that I can't get far.
I can't believe the difference after the migraine goes away and how much more energy I have!

Oh, I tried an experiment and I know I would get my chewed out if I told neuro- but lol I skipped my Lamictal for a day and was thinking to myself: "Well lets see if its really the Lamictal or not."
I didnt notice a thing and only had two very short CPs- my fault, but nothing happened related to migraines. My roommate and Twin thought it was Lamictal related but I wasn't on it when I had the severe migraine. I went to ER it was so bad. I was sick and wanted to pace the room because it hurt- but I knew that I would look weird just walking around. I think next time, I won't care. LOL
So. I haven't had any migraines since the 1st of this month. And its been about 3-4 migraines a month which is much more than I really thought! I have an app that I can log my migraines in and the MIDAS score comes up and the results of the questionare will give you more detailed info about what type headache you had. I like it a lot because I can start adding notes to it too- so when I go to neuro, I can either read it myself or show him what I've logged and what I've written- as in what happened, just like a seizure log.
I took a Butalbital as soon as i got the aura and then another one a few hours later. I was sort of off balance and a little high as I call it lol.
Its insane to have a migraine just come out of no where- but my aura to it lasts an hour before sometimes shorter. Sometimes I don't notice it in time and the medication doesn't help out as much as I would like. Once the pain is already started, its harder to get it to settle down if I don't take it asap as it starts. So I will mention that to neuro as well.
Anything and everything that I've noticed, I will mention. I hate complaining about anything at all, but once something is painful like that, you can't help it. My poor Twin and roommate are probably saying inside: "SHUT UP ALREADY!" lol. But they are so good to me and willing to help me as soon as something happens. I go and hide out in my studio and they find me later on and help me out if I need it- just as when a seizure happens.

Thank you guys for the imput. I think I'm learning a lot from you guys, past experience and current.
I am glad I'm not alone- this is a new diagnosis for me- well in January it was and I didn't really believe it was migraines. But I learned otherwise! LOL. I've had migraines in college but didn't realize what they really were- didn't think it really was that and would blame it on stress or exams or lack of food or good diet and sleep issues. Neuro put me on Rozeram which didn't help much..

Eveyone take care,
Sorry for such a long responce but thank you all for listening and sharing with me.

-Crystal and her guide dog Umbro.

Crystal,

I'm sorry about your migraines. They stink. I'm a fellow sufferer and I know how bad they can get.

But don't go off your lamictal for a day. Seriously. Lamictal is a different animal than all the rest. You can get seriously hurt by just not taking it, cold turkey. Even if it's only for a day. The seizures could have been a lot worse. And the last thing you need is more seizures.

Give Umbro a hug for me. <<<hug>>>

Well I do know how reducing meds can be because I was stupid and reduced my Tegretol down because I felt fine and felt like my seizures weren't bothering me as much. Well ended up in the ER with two CPs close together and postictal forma long time. Had six people in my dorm room trying to take me to EMS. Not good. I've learned my lessons the hard way. I'm an Aries too so I tend to be very stubborn. Anyway I was really worried it was the Lamictal and when you're worried, you'll do what you think is necessary to figure something out. I had reaction to Tegretol when I took it alone. I was a little psycho and worried and cried all day. So when something that could be a side effect comes up, I freak out a little. I'm fine with the two meds I'm on. But was worried about the Lamicatal. No issue with Lamictal though. Migraines aren't caused from that which is a good thing.
Going to nuero on the 21st with questions and comments.
Boy migraines are such hurtful things. At least during a seizure I'm out of it and don't remember much and sometimes infer a migraine after a seizure but I sleep after longer seizure. During a regular migraine I suffer. I can't sleep or settle down at all.

I am very happy that Lamictal is working well with the Keppra xr.
It feels good to not have as many CPs as before. Don't realize how much time is taken away by a seizure and now migraine.

Back
Top Bottom