Modified atkins vs low glycemic

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

specialneeds

Reaction score
I am trying to decide which diet to do. My dietician has given me a choice of each one and I am wanting to get some feedback on how effective they have been to any of you on them. I have mixed generalized seizures which are primarily Myoclonic.

Does any know if one is more effective than the other. I am also trying to lose weight due to the medications I am on. I also have celiac disease.

Thanks

Diana

Would your dietician consider the GARD ?
http://dogtorj.com/http://dogtorj.com/

Personally I think you can take the best aspect of each one and make up a nutritional plan which is best for you. That is how I have approached it with my daughter.

Hi Diana --

If you haven't already, you might want to check out the threads in the "Diets" sub-forum: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f39/

I haven't tried any of the diets myself, but I think in general the best approach is to transition slowly onto whichever one you choose and be as patient and disciplined as possible. Working closely with your dietitician should help.

Best,
Nakamova

My wife has had best results on a pseudo-LGIT diet.

Lgit

Of course I can't decide for you and your type of epilepsy, but I've had good success for about the past month pursuing the low glycemic index diet. Moving toward the modified Atkins diet I just felt like it was too much fat and it was making me sluggish. I feel energized on the LGIT.

It is trickier than just recommending complex carbs, which I mostly ate in the past. Brown rice cakes, for instance are pretty high, as is millet and winter squash. Barley is very low. Bananas depend on the level of ripeness. Potatoes are high, but yams are low. Beer is a no-no, which correlates with my experience. Fortunately there are websites which give the values of different foods and some useful books probably available at your library.

It is also known as the South Beach Diet and many of the books you find on that make no mention of epilepsy.

Only South Beach Phase 1 is compatible with LGIT

It is also known as the South Beach Diet and many of the books you find on that make no mention of epilepsy.

Because of your post I looked into the South Beach diet. If I understand it correctly most (all?) South Beach phase 1 recipes would be compatible with LGIT. However since the other phases allow more carbs they probably wouldn't be compatible with LGIT.

Back
Top Bottom