Music\auditory stimulus and the Epileptic brain

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I accidentally discovered another great CD that has a combination of Bach and jazz. Try 'Bach to Brubeck'. It's absolutely brilliant. Dave Brubeck's son Chris Brubeck made a great arrangement in the 1st track. It is a combination of piano solo, guitar solo and orchestration equivalent to or as good as the London Symphony. And, they play the Bach with incredible accuracy, contrapuntal and a great full sound with deep but not overwhelming bass. Kind of like classical guitar with a twist. The music following that track is more contemporary with little or not dissonance.

Bach to Brubek...

I couldn't find a YouTube version of anything off that album...but I found the album on Amazon.com and listened to the previews.

I REALLY liked it! I especially liked the Lute Track (I think it was Track 3), but the first one ('Variations of Bach Themes' I think?) was very nice as you mentioned.

Good suggestion Aliveandwell!
:rock:

Interesting, that one......

At first it was like, "What? Muppets?..."

...and then I was like, "Okay, the music is kind of growin' on me..."

...and then I was like, "Wait a second, what were those lyrics again?...this was a kid's show right?...at the risk of being accused of having a high school boy mentality here---you can read stuff into some of that, right?"

Well, staying true to past history with listening to new tunes---I have really never paid much attention to lyrics anyway, so I choose to comment on this one solely on musical merit....and I REALLY liked it!

...but the Fraggles are still creepy!...hehehe!:rock:

I never claimed this was normal. The introduction with Sprocket on some of the Fraggle songs seemed out of place. I discovered this song on a VCR tape and lo and behold, my favorite Muppet song was on Youtube!
I'm still searching for the singing trash heap. That was always pretty good with the Muppets.

I haven't decided if the instrument was an oboe on this one. It sounds slightly different to me. It almost sounds like a wooden instrument, but then oboes have a double reed. The singing is definitely off key, but the instrument and background music is right in tune. I suspect that Jim Henson probably sang this one, but I'll never know.

Last edited:
Hmmm?..........

...to some degree, I think the quality of the recording may be fooling us here, but it sounds like an Indian instrument to me? The oboe is different to me somehow.

I think that's Jim too!

oboe

I agree. It does sound like a wind instument from India.

Here's one of my all-time favorite classical pieces by Debussy:

Last edited:
Oboe is a woodwind.

Oboe is a woodwind, just like a Bassoon,
Clarinet ... but it is more difficult to play
it than a Bassoon or Clarinet.

My lips used to go numb playing it, because
of the reed.

---------------------------

Some people compare an OBOE to a Hippie's
Era "Recorder" (aka Fluteophone) - to which
I still have my 1960s Yamaha Original, but it
is NOT the same however. And some people
have even confused the OBOE as to a Pan
Flute (which is a totally different instrument).

Warning: Musician jokes:
What's the difference between cutting up an oboe and cutting up an onion? You cry when you cut up the onion.
How can you tell an oboist is at your front door? By the Domino's Pizza hat.
Why did the chicken cross the road? To get away from the bassoon recital.
What's the difference between a bassoon and a trampoline? You take you shoes off when you jump on a trampoline.
How many oboists does it take to change a light bulb? One, but by the time he gets done shaving the tip, you won't need it.
Why do clarinetists leave their cases on their dashboards? So they can park in handicapped zones.

I wish I had an updated list of these. The 1 and 1/2 pages of musician jokes I have dates from the early 1990's. Usually the only people who have heard these are the musicians themselves. Ask any professional musician and they will have more and newer jokes then these!!!

Oops, I forgot one!
How do you get two piccolos to play in tune? Shoot one.
(Yea, I was originally a flutist and I still have my piccolo and flute).

Last edited by a moderator:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3091595.stm

Neurofeedback monitors brain activity through sensors attached to the scalp which filter out the brainwaves.

These filtered brainwaves are then 'fed back' to the individual in the form of a video game displayed on a screen.

The participant learns to control the game by altering particular aspects of their brain activity.

This alteration in brain activity can influence performance.

A panel of expert judges found the 97 Royal College of Music students improved in a number of areas, including musical understanding, imagination, and communication with the audience.

The technique has already been used to treat epilepsy, alcoholism, attention deficit and post-traumatic stress disorders, according to the researchers from Imperial College London and Charing Cross Hospital who conducted the study.

But Dr Tobias Egner said: "This is the first time it has been used to improve a complex set of skills such as musical performance in healthy students."

And Professor John Gruzelier added: "While it has a role in stress reduction by reducing the level of stage fright, the magnitude and range of beneficial effects on artistic aspects of performance have wider implications."

I used to be able to listen to music but that just drives me more nuts now as people tell me I don't know anything and have no connections. It just sickens me and all i can think of in response to this thread is, "The [M Fers] act like they forgot about Dre."

Sincerely,

Gen. Andrew F. Strasser

Van Gogh's Starry Night

Van Gogh's Starry Night by Don McLean
Wow :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :piano: :star: :wave: :rulez: :rock:

Just an update!...

There's been many links added to the top of this thread over the last few months...and I like the fact they are kept together in an 'easy-to-find' place. Unfortunately, just because I add a link doesn't mean this thread shows up as 'fresh' again...so...

Just letting you guys know there may be new stuff since you last looked!

Peace!
:rock:

Back
Top Bottom