Needs loads of help for college.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Skater

New
Reaction score
So i study media in college that focuses on photography, filmography and so on.

We are mostly on computers at college the only times we're not on computers is when we do maths and english or doing photography but that creates a trigger. I'm finding it hard to work as i have seizures 24/7. the seizures causes my memory, speech, spelling, thinking, intelligence to malfunction. It affects me real bad and i end up going home and usually takes 3 days for my attacks to go when resting.

I noticed that at my college no one really knows how to treat epilepsy and there's no place to go for help. the first aiders there are only trained for bruises etc. and the support there is usually for bullying, smoking and drinking, disabled people etc. I do not feel safe there and when i go to my Pastoral Support Tutor she just tries to get me to stay at college and accuses me of bunking off.

Can any one give me advice on how i can become sane there without having seizures that stop making me feel sick. Is there away of getting someone in that is specialized in epilepsy?

I also had an injury not long ago that caused me to fall and hit my head on concrete and i believed that has made things allot worse.

yes it does, the kind of docs you can see, and who can help, for cheap or free,

also deep or quick thoughts, or sometimes trying think about too much at once, or exploring certain memories can be a trigger for me, which can be an issue even more so since i write code, I have to learn how to focus and relax and stay level headed to keep my seizures at bay.

Stay in college, take advantage of the fact you are there. I am published photog to, and loved that world, the people I met, and the stuff I saw.

It was harsh at first, but one of the things I did, was force myself out my comfort zone a lot, it forced me to seizure, but also trained my body how to deal and fight it. and this is probably some of the worse advice, but if it is all you have. you may need to go with it. I used to have to deal with aphasia and dislogia more often, granted, I am still both like hell, they are a lot less of a problem because my body has been trained to deal with them and no longer have as much of a chemical reaction. it also raised my threshold, because I got out my comfort zone more often, so there was less of an adrenalin rush from it, so it was no longer an problem, and no longer a kick. Do things you would not normally do, I walked down the stage at a fashion show, you can imagine how my heart was beating, I am shock to this day I didn't kill over die, just give a few speeches. just get your self used to adrenalin it will raise your threshold a bit.

Sorry for delay, but if your not UK what I know probably isn't useful, but as you are I might be of some help.

Primarily focusing on college, first aid and them seeming to not know what to do?

Do you have an individualised care plan, which you have had involvement in drawing up?

In which way do you feel the first aid is inadequate? Do you feel staff need additional training? What happens after a seizure? What do you need them to be doing?

The college has a duty of care to you and have to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate your disability and you are covered by the 2010 equalities act.

Q

Back
Top Bottom