Nobody understands postictal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Laura

New
Reaction score
Does anybody else find this? Apparently I say weird things when I'm postictal and people ALWAYS take it seriously, like, I had a seizure at work and apparently when I 'came round' I was saying 'I haven't had a seizure' so the nurse (I worked in a nursing home) was like 'what on earth was you doing then? It's not something to joke about you know?' What? I don't even remember saying It lol.

Another time I had a prolonged seizure at a concert so an ambulance was called, when the paramedics arrived I was postictal and they asked me what medication I take for my Epilepsy and I apparently said 'medication? I don't take medication' so this silly woman decided to ring my mum and tell her that I haven't been taking my medication so I'd had a bad seizure.

Anyone else have any similar experiences?

Oh Laura, how frustrated you must be! I too have issues with speech following seizures along with the over all muscle and brain pain. You're right, it is hard for others to understand what is really going on. Maybe if others knew you were prone to that, they could help you out?

Yeah, the people who I see on a regular basis are all informed about it, and they are also informed that whether I have a seizure on a comfy bed or in the middle of a road or even on a public bus, I WILL be having a nap afterwards where I landed. Lol I get all irritable if people try to move me, although, it isn't always practice to nap where I am, not that postictal me cares.

Are you the same? The muscle aches and headaches are probably worse than the actual seizure aren't they? Do you have 'episodes' often? Xxx

What? I don't even remember saying It lol.

I don't remember. ;)
Seriously, tho, I don't remember what I've said or done postictal, either. Others have said that I've said some pretty nasty/bizarre things that I would never say in my "normal" frame of mind. But they know it is my postictal stage.

I understand it. I've witnessed it far, far too many times.

My "go to" test to make sure that someone isn't post ictal is to ask them what they remember about recent events (like, do they remember anything leading up to or after the seizure). When my wife is post ictal, her short term memory is fried and questions like that will just confuse her. When she's back in full control of her faculties, she can answer those questions responsively.

Sometimes it can be amusing hearing people tell you what you have said/done whilst postictal. You wonder whether they are actually talking about you. You have to laugh right? Xxx

I try to find humor in it... it's better than crying about it all the time.. which also.happens sometimes

Does anybody else find this? Apparently I say weird things when I'm postictal and people ALWAYS take it seriously, like, I had a seizure at work and apparently when I 'came round' I was saying 'I haven't had a seizure' so the nurse (I worked in a nursing home) was like 'what on earth was you doing then? It's not something to joke about you know?' What? I don't even remember saying It lol.

Another time I had a prolonged seizure at a concert so an ambulance was called, when the paramedics arrived I was postictal and they asked me what medication I take for my Epilepsy and I apparently said 'medication? I don't take medication' so this silly woman decided to ring my mum and tell her that I haven't been taking my medication so I'd had a bad seizure.

well - I've definitely had "disbelief" symptoms after seizures..
I can recall times when I've been coming to with various medical personnel in my face and blurred perception saying the likely obligatory "just relax, you've had a seizure!" thing they probably are taught.
I'm a shy and solitary type person who does not like really being the center of attention. So when I hear this type of thing, and start noticing I'm the center of attention regarding this "issue" all of a sudden, I start freaking out and going through a mental "what? no - not me - nope - I'm fine - let me just stand up and go about my day and OWWWWWW I can't move and it feels like someone just kicked me in the nuts and is standing on my stomach" type of thing, that gets expressed in a fashion I have no clue about.

what's going on in my head during this type of mental processing probably comes out of my lips like "bluhhhbbbbluhhhh"

and then there's some point where my mental capacity comes back enough for me to realize that I need to just chill out and that it's OK.

I've thought about this mindset before and thought it might be some sort of relation to the base emotional state that can compel people to run inside of a burning car to help someone else - a type of selflessness that compels one to act despite clarity of action, despite of pain, despite of what may be considered sensible from an external point of view, but what is noble for the good of all. For the good of the situation I try to respond and be "normal", but there's no way I can be, and as my layers of consciousness rebuild, my self-awareness rebuilds too, and can just make the situation more and more awkward, because I start realizing more and more how screwed up the situation is.
Maybe a fight-or-flight type thing.. as in "ok you won, I'm getting the fuck out of here" type pain-sensory thing.

My body and mind are so abused after a seizure my motions and emotions are obtuse, pathetic, sluggish, laborious... so what I intend and interpret is probably far from what the hell is actually going on, but I'm just trying to go about my normal day, when suddenly it's 9/11 up in my head and it's mind-blowing, literally.

There's no way anything immediately postictal should be considered gospel to anyone. I hope that emergency response paramedics know this - I'm sure qualified ones do. Average Joe Citizen does NOT know this. That's one thing that scares me to death.

Luckily I've had one public seizure incident where I was completely alone and on the train and then *bam* I wake up to paramedics again, and everything worked out pretty well, all things considered.

But seizures suck and there is no way to explain it to anyone - but I think I can relate to your having a toggle between your postictal state and your struggle for normalcy at that moment.

After any seizures I feel that no one really gets where I am mentally unless they have seizures themselves. At times it is upsetting, when your babbling about something only to realize you had little to no idea what you were saying. Just the lack of control can be so hard to deal with. Everyone on CWE gets it, and I hope you'll start feeling better.

I'm so glad that people understand how it feels, well, I'm not glad that other people have to go through this roller coaster they call Epilepsy but glad that I'm not alone in this.

Apparently in the back of the ambulance just before I had my status crisis I was postictal and had tubes and wires etc as I'm sure you all know far too well, well anyways, I had a red wire on me, held my partners hand and the red wire was leaning against his arm, I saw this, thought it was blood running down his arm, heard the sirens blaring out and went into complete panic thinking that the a,balance was for him and he was going to bleed to death or something, lol silly. Xxx

Its unreal what the mind can do to us. Before during or after a seizure. The ambulance thing makes me recall when I had to be hauled off. It all felt like a dream. But looking back on my thought process is kind of funny. Like you said Laura trying to find the humor sometimes is all we can do at times. I have a phobia of needles so even though I was in an ambulance mumbling away, when I caught sight of the needle I freaked. So I can relate. The ambulance is scary enough as is haha.

Oh no :( a needle phobia on top of everything else, that must be so difficult! It's an odd feeling going into/coing out of a seizure isn't it? I always thought it was a bit like a very very vague memory of some hint that happened ten years ago. I guess it can't really be described and it's different for everyone. I was once postictal for 48 hours, that was strange but got us some good EEG results lol xxx

Yeah its bad phobia to have when you need blood taken, get IV's from time to time but so is life I guess. I think a lot of the confusion for Dr. or people who don't have seizures is the understanding of what we explain. It can be radically different for each individual. 48 hours, wow im sorry. At least they got the EEG result so thats a good thing.

Yeah, I agree, it can be quite frustrating when people act like they understand when they really don't. Have you had any kind of therapy for your phobia? Xxx

A lot of people do try to relate. I just have to remind myself of how I felt before the seizures. I am pretty confident I would've said the same things.

Hopefully soon I can seen a psychiatrist more specialized around seizures. A neuro psyche. I don't know, so many types of Docs I get confused.

I have had similar. When I come too, it is almost impossible for me to speak or move. Every time I come to, my husband starts right in with questions, and pushes me to sit up. I want to scream at him to shut the hell up, but I can't speak at all. lol I guess he's trying though.

Have you tried explaining to him (whilst not in a seizure or postictal) that you just need time to come too afterwards? I guess he is just doing what he thinks is helpful xxx

I hate that postictal phase. I can get very hostile and say things I wouldnt normally say. Not to mention that I often have no idea where I am or what day it is. The dizzy and disoriented feeling is the worst. My former roommate said that I had a noctournal seizure, went into her bedroom butt naked and tried to use her closet as the bathroom. I don't remember any of that. But it is kinda funny.

Hate post ictal, worse is when you just want too sleep and people won't let you sleep because they think youf still unconscious but your nit just wanna sleep !!

Back
Top Bottom