Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Since starting treatment for epilepsy I have noticed spells of paranoia. Sometimes it becomes pretty bad and lasts for long periods, others times it is almost absent. I have temporal lobe epilepsy. Does anyone know much about a connection, if any? I take Depakote to control the seizures, as well as Parnate for Depression and A.D.D., and Vistaril as needed for anxiety (If that helps). I appreciate the feedback in advance. :(:brain::twocents:

Temporal lobe epilepsy can express itself through paranoia and other emotional/cognitive effects. It's also possible that it's a side-effect of the Depakote. This is something to talk to your neuro about.

occb has

a good point. There are a number of people on here whom have TLE, and can tell you more about their experiences. I'm sure that they'll be around soon...just be patient. :)

TLEinBoston22
I think paranoia has been part of my e. from day one. When I first had started having seizures I would get this feeling that someone was behind me. I would turn around in circles like a dog before falling. Some of the meds made it worse but I just ignored it, knowing it was a side effect. It did get bad enough at my last job that I had to leave. In fact I have never been the same. For the first time in twenty years, I am not working at a job.
That is my particular situation. Everyone is a little bit different. I take Dilantin (maxed), Tegretol, and Topamax.

Oh, by the way occb , I have "Oh Starry Night" as a desktop background. Hows that for paranoia.

a good point. There are a number of people on here whom have TLE, and can tell you more about their experiences. I'm sure that they'll be around soon...just be patient. :)

I have been having feelings of paranoia - Like i'll think that everyone at work was talking about me, and that they don't want to be with me, or that everyone secretly puts up with me just because they have to.

Then i get random feelings of guilt or embarrassment which come from nowhere, leaving me paranoid that i've done something really bad and just can't think what. Kind of like that feeling when you've had a lot to drink the night before and you're SURE you've done something stupid, but you don't know what it is. This only last a few seconds, or perhaps a minute at the very most, and then i think "whoa, where did that come from?"

The feelings are sort of going now though, although they crop up every now and then. I have TLE.

Back
Top Bottom