Perhaps symptoms we have with seizures tell us where in the brain it comes from

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was thinking that since a lot of us including me often don't know what part of the brain the seizures stem from, perhaps based on our symptoms, that's where they originate. Such as speech problems, maybe they originate in the temporal lobe, memory loss, maybe seizures happen in the frontal lobe and in the Occipital lobes that receive and process visual information contain areas that help in perceiving shapes and colors, maybe if we have vision problems, seeing colors and such, maybe the seizures are in that area. And perhaps if we have a series of symptoms from each area, the seizures affect entire brain.

I'm thinking the seizure I had comes from the frontal lobe since I experience memory loss and have atrophy and maybe it also affected the temporal lobes since I sometimes have trouble with speech. Perhaps doctors should do visual tests after experiencing a seizure during an EEG, such as after you recover a bit, do a memory test, speech test and stuff like that and maybe it'd tell them more about which area of the brain it comes from.

When I saw my Neurologist for the first time, he did visual tests such as having me follow his finger with my eyes only, had me touch each of my fingers to my thumb forward and backward, felt both sides of my neck and so fourth to see if I had nerve damage.

Maybe do a couple of tests like memory and stuff right before the EEG and right after if you have a seizure or even if you don't, perhaps you have an aura during the EEG and then it affects your memory or vision.

Here's a link on the brain and what parts control what and how it functions and even symptoms that can occur after an injury.

http://www.brainline.org/multimedia...n_brain.html?gclid=CN320-vd5rICFQrhQgod2nUAaw

Last edited:
My neurologist asked me questions to try to figure out where mine were beginning. He also had an intern in there that he was quizzing when he was asking me what type of things I experienced, so I absolutely think symptoms come from location.

My seizures stem from the left temporal lobe, specifically deep in the hippocampus. They found this out when I was preparing for brain surgery for the seizures with the WADA tests and many other tests. My symptoms are memory loss, speech problems (aphasia), dyslexia, depression (which is very common when coming from the left side).

Others have temporal lobe epilepsy in the right lobe with hippocampus damage or problems in the amygdala area. Both are common with TLE.

Here is another useful website for TBI's and the brain:
http://www.neuroskills.com/brain-injury/brain-function.php

My Neurologist doesn't know where mine come from yet. He, I may never know but since I've had several frontal head traumas, that may be where they come from and what caused the bleed. Maybe when I tell him about the traumas and the atrophy, it'll shed light on everything for both of us. Thanks for the link too.

Back
Top Bottom