psychic symptoms.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mylo

New
Reaction score
for the past year or so i've been "guessing things" from time to time.

i'll think of a movie i want to see, turn on the TV and it's there, works quite often. i guessed the meal for the quinceñera i was at 2 nights ago. yesterday i got my first tattoo who i knew my friend's family would disapprove of and i knew they were going to be at the gas station to criticize me, and when i got there no one was there but as i payed for my drink, they walk in. this one is a bit more obvious, but i knew which one of them would text me something rude, as soon as i got home, it happened.

it's not like i think "this is what's going to happen", more like it just comes to my mind then a few minutes later it happened. it's kind of starting to make me paranoid, especially with my religious friends telling me that God's given me a gift (i'm buddhist, personally). my girlfriend is one of them and she's been praying that i learn to master it, however it's kind of a scary thought, being able to see things before they happen.

not sure what this has to do with it, but usually i get these "visions" after i have my usual dose of caffeine, abstinence from caffeine makes it go down.. am i just going crazy? paranoia of some sort? i've actually had these symptoms since i was in the 4th or 5th grade, i'm 17 now and they're getting stronger..

first of all, it's not that hard to guess what foods will be at a Latino party :) (that was an attempt at humor)

caffeine isn't recommended overall. it can cause paranoid type thinking.

but... I know exactly what you're talking about... and not just deja vu - like, I had dreams about Nixon and Watergate, the next day I read a "this day in history" blurb about it being the anniversary of Watergate. I'm not a historian for sure, and it left me pretty wowed.
I have anxiety too, mind-reading type of experiences (I'm not sure are accurate, but very prominent), future-telling experiences very often (about completely unrelated things, like Watergate, and NOT like "so and so usually does such and such and so I figure that will happen again" like, guessing which barista will be working at Starbucks or whatever), even guessing a surge in a particular stock (guessing CSX would peak at 27 a couple of years ago.. look it up! and I'm not an investor or Wall Street type, it just "came to me" - and the stock hasn't been that high since!)
I've also had theories about being under some sort of hypnosis such that doctors could interact with me throughout normal society, unbeknownst to me, because "they" have abilities to "hypno-zap" me somehow whenever, wherever... theories about being under hypnosis is a big one, but it also feels like some sort of "secret agent" kind of thing, or that I'm undergoing some sort experimental hypno-treatment. That last one helps to keep me going, myself being keen to the idea of being a sort of lab-rat...
Or that aliens use us with epilepsy as theoretical space-time travel "stations" for technology they haven't quite perfected, except that they have discovered seizure-states are effective space-time catapults of a sort...

the gamut of some pretty crazy stuff

I think that thinking some of these types of things may be helpful psychological coping mechanisms: thinking oneself special in special ways, and we ARE special, for being able to cope with this crap.

but then again, I do think that seizure states could be a reasonable key to these space-time sorts of thoughts, regarding adjustments to brainwave patterns such that they could be frozen and transmitted elsewhere... too bad we never saw Star Trek characters as "postictal" when emerging from the transporter beam. That could have been funny... but probably more plausible.

The Buddah speaks of the power of now. Where is "now" during a seizure? Because the brain processes "now" during normal brain activity.
But I think seizures exemplify a lot of what are historically illustrated as religious experiences, everything from witch trials to seeing holy fire, to contacting God.

People can call it crazy, but at times I consider it just "altered" or spectral, as in experiencing a wider spectrum of brain action and function(disfunction).

are you used to your types of seizures? I'm finding out lately (diagnosed 2008) that I still am definitely not.
there is a lot I personality to different seizure types, even if they knock you out like mine do, there is much more, I'm finding, to seizures than just "shaking" like I figured while I was growing up. A lot of mental stuff goes on.

I'll avoid the "did you check your med levels? did you tell your neuro? did you recently get a med adjustment? did you eat something strange?" route because you'll probably get more answers stressing these points.

once I think an ictal period went psychotic, and ever since I've had a lot more of this psychic type of thinking. I've never believed in palm-reading "psychics" quite, but since I've developed epilepsy I've grown to have a lot more respect for the unknown (an not just medical shit I don't know) and the thought process, the process of processing thoughts, and experiencing the variations I guess.

take it easy brother

try this:
a glass of chocolate milk
two bananas
a small handful of almonds
some chocolate (a couple minis/a bar)
4-5 figs
add some coffee if you want, or even a tablespoon of unground beans
blend until smooth
then add some ice
blend until mushy
add more ice as you go
adjust it for flavor

try to add (more of) these to your diet:
figs
bell peppers
mushrooms
kale (also good in the blender, maybe with some low sodium V8)
apples
cheese/milk
Emergen-C packets (or a drugstore generic)(recycling a Gatorade bottle is easy)
liquids (especially now- summer- and caffeine is a BIG BIG dehydrator)

add more fiber and vitamins to your diet. you may think of fiber as an "old age constipation" type of thing but hardly is it just for that. neurons are very fibrous and can not grow or heal without fiber.

figs have a TON of fiber
they're in fig newtons too - 😏
but I like blending them with banana/chocolate too - they make 'chocolatey' very GOOEY when blended. good stuff.

gracias! and by the way it was cordon bleu :p

NOT a mexican dish and i guessed it!

first of all, it's not that hard to guess what foods will be at a Latino party :) (that was an attempt at humor)

caffeine isn't recommended overall. it can cause paranoid type thinking.

but... I know exactly what you're talking about... and not just deja vu - like, I had dreams about Nixon and Watergate, the next day I read a "this day in history" blurb about it being the anniversary of Watergate. I'm not a historian for sure, and it left me pretty wowed.
I have anxiety too, mind-reading type of experiences (I'm not sure are accurate, but very prominent), future-telling experiences very often (about completely unrelated things, like Watergate, and NOT like "so and so usually does such and such and so I figure that will happen again" like, guessing which barista will be working at Starbucks or whatever), even guessing a surge in a particular stock (guessing CSX would peak at 27 a couple of years ago.. look it up! and I'm not an investor or Wall Street type, it just "came to me" - and the stock hasn't been that high since!)
I've also had theories about being under some sort of hypnosis such that doctors could interact with me throughout normal society, unbeknownst to me, because "they" have abilities to "hypno-zap" me somehow whenever, wherever... theories about being under hypnosis is a big one, but it also feels like some sort of "secret agent" kind of thing, or that I'm undergoing some sort experimental hypno-treatment. That last one helps to keep me going, myself being keen to the idea of being a sort of lab-rat...
Or that aliens use us with epilepsy as theoretical space-time travel "stations" for technology they haven't quite perfected, except that they have discovered seizure-states are effective space-time catapults of a sort...

the gamut of some pretty crazy stuff

I think that thinking some of these types of things may be helpful psychological coping mechanisms: thinking oneself special in special ways, and we ARE special, for being able to cope with this crap.

but then again, I do think that seizure states could be a reasonable key to these space-time sorts of thoughts, regarding adjustments to brainwave patterns such that they could be frozen and transmitted elsewhere... too bad we never saw Star Trek characters as "postictal" when emerging from the transporter beam. That could have been funny... but probably more plausible.

The Buddah speaks of the power of now. Where is "now" during a seizure? Because the brain processes "now" during normal brain activity.
But I think seizures exemplify a lot of what are historically illustrated as religious experiences, everything from witch trials to seeing holy fire, to contacting God.

People can call it crazy, but at times I consider it just "altered" or spectral, as in experiencing a wider spectrum of brain action and function(disfunction).

are you used to your types of seizures? I'm finding out lately (diagnosed 2008) that I still am definitely not.
there is a lot I personality to different seizure types, even if they knock you out like mine do, there is much more, I'm finding, to seizures than just "shaking" like I figured while I was growing up. A lot of mental stuff goes on.

I'll avoid the "did you check your med levels? did you tell your neuro? did you recently get a med adjustment? did you eat something strange?" route because you'll probably get more answers stressing these points.

once I think an ictal period went psychotic, and ever since I've had a lot more of this psychic type of thinking. I've never believed in palm-reading "psychics" quite, but since I've developed epilepsy I've grown to have a lot more respect for the unknown (an not just medical shit I don't know) and the thought process, the process of processing thoughts, and experiencing the variations I guess.

take it easy brother

i know what you mean though, i've never had a tonic clonic or anything but when i'm having those dreaded anxiety "pausing" episodes, it's pretty hard to focus on "now"... it's confusing, but buddhist philosophy has helped me A LOT with my anxiety and accepting these disturbing whirlwinds of thoughts in my head.

Mylo,

You are not alone! It's not unusual for people with epilepsy to experience "psychic phenomenon." It's especially true for people with temporal lobe epilepsy. In fact, deja vu, felt presences, a feeling of connection with god are sometimes listed as types of simple partial seizures.

Now's the part I haven't seen explained - a lot of times people are right about their premonitions. If what they were experiencing was a seizure would their premonition be true? Check out this thread:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f27/do-you-experience-psychic-phenomena-9235/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom