Seemingly regular seizures (also experiences w/ vinpocetine)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Eggbertx

New
Reaction score
I had another seizure this morning in the shower. Luckly, I was almost done and had a really powerful aura, so I was able to quickly finish up and lie down on my bed before the seizure hit me. I've noticed that I seem to have a seizure every four to five months on average, and looking at my records, my neurologist noticed this as well. Has anyone else noticed a semi-consistent "schedule" like this?

Also, rather than making another thread, and since this is semi-relevant anyway, I've recently started taking vinpocetine for its memory and anti-convulsant properties. I haven't been taking it long enough to notice a huge improvement in the latter, but my memory does seem to be improving a little bit. Considering this morning's seizure seems to be right on schedule, I doubt the vinpocetine triggered it, but my question is, has anyone else noticed a correlation between vinpocetine usage and powerful auras? I'm just curious as to whether it had an effect on the aura, or whether it was likely just a coincidence.

Hi Eggbertx,

I'm not sure if I told you but my Epileptologist told me that hot water hitting a persons head can sometimes trigger a seizure for some people. Just like you I would have seizures in the shower at certain times of the month when hormones were changing. My Dr. said the hot water fires up the neurons in the brain which in turn can trigger seizures for some people.
I've seen a pattern in my seizures for yrs. they often happen the 1st and 3rd week of each month and most of the time they happen early in the morning or later in the afternoon. I don't take vinpocetine but I do use medical marijuana (CBD) twice a day and I've seen a great decrease is all of my seizures. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I'm on here kind of sporadically, but I don't think you did. I sometimes joke that I prefer my showers to be scalding hot, but while that's a bit of an exaggeration, I do prefer hot water, and that's never been an issue.
I do sometimes take marijuana recreationally, but I only used CBD a while ago when I was dealing with a lot of stomach issues (which turned out to be ulcers)

I tried vinpocetine a long time ago. Didn't seem to help in anyway, and it messed with my digestion.

Since I haven't been taking it long enough for it to have a huge effect, I'll give it some time and then make my full decision.

Back
Top Bottom