Seizure Alert/Response Dogs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The barking in the Kennel I don't believe is seizure alerting.

Your dog coming to you twice on the floor is a good sign. You need to give him treats when he does that.

The concern is naturally there when he went to you.

What did he do when he came to you?

But you need to make this a game to keep him interested and good rewards for responding to you. Lots of praise and treats are the best rewards.

You later can train him to bring a pillow, your pills, call 911 etc.

Truthfully, on Saturday one of my dogs called 911 on my cell phone after I seized. It is funny that the police and rescue said that all they heard was HHHHHHHHHRRRRR! (Beagle speak.)

This is interesting!

Service Dog 'Justice' Allowed in Federal Court

MADISON, WI- A man claiming Madison police violated his rights will have Justice by his side during a trial in federal court, a judge ruled Thursday.

U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb said she will allow Stephen Bottila to bring Justice, a German shepherd mix Bottila says is a seizure-alert dog, into the courtroom during the trial that begins Monday.

Bottila, who has epilepsy, claims police improperly prevented him from taking his service dog into a Downtown restaurant and a city park.

The city of Madison had asked the judge not to allow Justice in the courtroom, saying whether he "is a bona fide service animal or merely a pet is a disputed fact in this case" and that the dog’s presence "would imply to the jury that the court believes the dog is a bona fide service animal."

But Crabb said, "If I say the dog can’t be in here, it’s as if I’m saying the dog is not a service animal."

Crabb agreed to tell jurors that she has not concluded that Justice is a service animal.

Back
Top Bottom