Seizure Triggers

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Question for you all -

Alcohol is definitely a seizure trigger for me. Strange thing, though. I don't get the seizure while I'm under the influence. I usually get it 8-12 hours later. This doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't the seizure happen while my body is metabolizing the liquor? Say, just after drinking to about 4 hours after?

Anybody got the scientific explanation for this?

Dogtor J says that certain foods don't always have a reaction for 4+ hours later. It might also not be the sugar that gives you the trigger, but as with Rebecca, it might be the sudden drop of glucose that triggers an episode.

I have also read that the influence of sugar stays in the system for up to two weeks.

Sugar doesn't seem to be a trigger for me - just the alcohol. I wonder if there is a delayed response from the liver???

Talking to my counselor who uses rapid eye movement therapy for PTSD said she can't use the therapy for people with seizures because it is a trigger. She uses paddles that the patient holds and alternate vibrations which still has a similar effect on the PTSD but no seizure trigger!

Its amazing what I keep learning lately.

thanks again,

John

Seizure Triggers

Caffeine
Gluten / peanuts - including chicken
Not enough sleep
Being woken up (perhaps startle effect)...I need to wake up naturally otherwise I seize upon waking.
Old T.V.'s - can only use a flatscreen or an old one if the room is brightly lit
Not 100% if this is a trigger but it may be...can't sleep with the T.V. on (my husband is finally used to it : )

Endless, When you drink alcohol, it may temporarily reduce seizures for a few hours, but then increases the chances of a seizure as the alcohol leaves your body.

For me it's:
  • stress, through high work loads
  • too much alcohol (usually experience petit mals one day later, possibly more de-hydrated)
  • broken sleep patterns (if I attempt to sleep in longer than I have to)

Does anyone know what can trigger your seizures? What do you usually do to avoid these triggers. My triggers are usually not enough rest or if I forget to take my medicine. Besides me has anyone forgotten to take their medicine?

I have no idea. I have been trying to figure that one out and have been guessing for a long time. Contenders have been alcohol and lack of sleep. But still not sure.

Endless,

The ceiling fan for sure! We have two here at work and I have to have them off when I am in the room. Everyone is very considerate, so it is not a problem. I also found that while riding in the car, the flash of light that passes you when you travel down a tree lined street! I bought wrap around sun glasses and that stopped that one!

Alcohol not a trigger for me, tested it carefully (surprised Dr when I told him no partials if 1 serving when parents visited). Cigarette smoke. Dehydration, low blood sugar, middle of the day medicine even 25 minutes late. If you are considering working out at a gym, beware of pull-ups - for me those induced T/Cs without fail, even with help. Everything else I could handle, if I stayed hydrated, but the stress on my neck was a trigger. Vitamins: 25 mg of B-6 and up and prescription level amounts of D. (Ok, I'm weird, alcohol is not a trigger, but B and D are.) Estate sales - that is not a joke, I used to go to them with my mom. Garage sales - no, estate sales - yes, without fail. Anyone else have that? That's all I can think of for now.

When I drink alcohol - I don't drink much, 1 partial serving, and I am conscious about staying hydrated. Court - I see I am not the only one about the fam......

Flickering or Flashing Light

If you have photosensitive epilepsy, certain types of flickering or flashing light may incite a seizure. The trigger could be exposure to television screens due to the flicker or rolling images, computer monitors, certain video games or TV broadcasts containing rapid flashes, even alternating patterns of different colors, in addition to intense strobe lights.

And surprisingly, seizures may be triggered by natural light, such as sunlight, especially when shimmering off water, even sun flickering through trees or through the slats of Venetian blinds.

Stress

Stress can trigger hyperventilation which can provoke seizures, especially absence seizures. It can increase cortisol, known as “the stress hormone” because cortisol is secreted in higher levels during the body’s “fight or flight” response to stress. And it’s responsible for several stress-related changes in the body which also may influence seizure activity.

Negative emotions related to stress, such as anger, worry or fright, may also cause seizures. This happens because the limbic system, the portion of the brain that regulates emotion, is one of the most common places for seizures to begin.

Lack of Sleep

Inadequate or fragmented sleep can set off seizures in lots of people. In one study, the lowest risk for seizures was during REM sleep (when dreams occur). The highest risk was during light non-REM stages of sleep.

Hormones

For many women, certain hormones seem to trigger seizures at particular times in their menstrual cycle. It can be during ovulation, menstruation, pregnancy or menopause. This is known as “catamenial epilepsy.” If you’re going through menopause, you may find that the hormonal changes at this time make you more likely to have seizures, (although for some women, seizures will not be affected or become less frequent).

Food Allergies

Both food sensitivities and allergies can definitely trigger seizures. Especially foods that are rich in glutamate and aspartame – two very excitatory amino acids. Food allergies may also trigger seizures in children who also have migraine headaches, hyperactive behavior and abdominal pains.

Prescription Drugs

Some prescription medications — especially penicillin, anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs — can prevent your medication from working. It could be caused by the way your system responds to a certain a drug, a combination of drugs, reaction or withdrawal. Make sure all your doctors know everything you take.

Over-the-Counter-Drugs

Certain over-the-counter medications (Advil and Tylenol are fine but never take aspirin!) can make you more likely to have a seizure, if you have epilepsy or a history of seizures. For example, anti-depressants and antihistamines are possible seizure triggers. Also certain supplements — like evening primrose oil — can also be a trigger.

Alcohol

There are two questions that have to be considered when the question of alcohol use and epilepsy comes up. One is the effect that alcohol could have on the medicines used to control seizures. Alcohol can be dangerous when mixed with sedative drugs and can cause coma, or even death. The other question is whether the alcohol itself will cause seizures.

Large amounts of alcohol are thought to raise the risk of seizures and may even cause them. When you drink alcohol, it may temporarily reduce seizures for a few hours, but then increases the chances of a seizure as the alcohol leaves your body.

Cigarette Smoking

Nicotine is both a stimulant and a depressant to the central nervous system. The nicotine in cigarettes acts on receptors for the excitatory neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the brain, which increases neuronal firing.

Caffeine

Much like nicotine, caffeine stimulates the nervous system. Adrenaline is released and the liver begins to emit stored blood sugar. Insulin is then released, and blood sugar drops below normal—a common seizure trigger. And caffeine can be a “stealth” drug, too. It can be found as an ingredient in medications, including some antihistamines and decongestants.

Musicogenic Epilepsy

This is a form of reflexive epilepsy in which a seizure is triggered by music or specific frequencies. Sensitivity to music varies from person to person. Some people are sensitive to a particular tone from a voice or instrument. Others are sensitive to a particular musical style or rhythm. Still others are sensitive to a range of noises.

Individual Triggers

A common trigger is too much heat, internal from extremely excessive exercise or external from an overheated house or apartment. Other triggers include the smell of glue and the color yellow! Many people have their own specific triggers, while others don’t. It’s a combination of possibilities: personal chemistry, biology and genetics.

Resources:

http://my.epilepsy.com/node/355

http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/triggers.html

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/about/types/

http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articl..._help_prevent_epileptic_seizures_000044_9.htm

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/558581/musicogenic_epilepsy_and_other_seizure.html?cat=5

http://drlwilson.com/Articles/epilepsy.htm

http://www.steadyhealth.com/seizure_triggers_for_people_t83761.html

http://www.2betrhealth.com/Medication-Seizure-Trigger.html

http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm

http://www.naturalnews.com/012352.html

triggers

I used to be extremely photosenstive and for some reason Walmarts were avoided or any stores that have those kinda Halogen type lights-
Also There are certain foreign cars that have a light spectrum that is a purple or Blue headlight! Flashing and sunlight is a given.Fans running - Driving through tunnels!Lack of Sleep!
I have had luck since using the Dopamine helper Mirapex has given me the most improvement in 10 yrs eye wise.
I would suggest it worth a try for anyone as now I can go in the Walmart and flashing lights while I avoid them aren't as urgently fearful now.
I also have done some research regarding Dopamine and seizures and don't feel they have done enough research and that could be a missing key in treatment.
I took the info to my old Doc who thought RLS or PLMD might be interferring in my sleep. Hubby says I jerk all night sometimes.

This is an old thread, but I thought this was the best place to post this.

I've had a flurry of more intense seizures lately, including some suspected TCs in my sleep, which I've never had before, and multiple CPs (which I usually only have once every 9 months or so).

What I couldn't figure out is why. Now I finally think I know why. My PCP (Primary Care Physician) ran a blood panel, and saw that I'm <still> in metabolic acidosis, and in fact, it's gotten worse. That explains my stomach cramps, constantly speedy heart rate, exhaustion, bone pain, etc. But a surprise to me, when I began reading about it, is that seizures are listed as a symptom.

Talk about an unexpected seizure trigger. I guess the wisdom that I wanted to pass along is if there is a change in your seizure type or frequency go see your PCP and get checked out. Something else in your body could be causing it.

Oh - I'm on a med (diamox) that can cause acidosis, and I can't quit taking it. It's mandatory. I've been on it about a half year, and during that time the acidosis has been a reoccuring problem. So I'm on a boatload of potassium citrate, and I take a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda every day. (gag) I really hope it fixes things.

Last edited:
I agree -- metabolic acidosis sucks, and yes, it can cause seizures.

When I was on Zonisamide, I started suffering from what I think may have been metabolic acidosis or a prequel to it. I didn't know what was going on, but my stomach hurt so much that I researched acid and base foods to find what I could eat that would cause the least amount of pain. I was at the point of asking my neuro about switching to another AED, when I had a massive seizures (and was then switched onto Lamictal).

Since then, the FDA has came out with a warning on Zonisamide saying that it can cause metabolic acidosis, and that patients should be tested before and during to make sure that isn't happening.

This might sound radical, but has your doc considered intravenous bicarbonate?

Intravenous sodium bicarbonate (trade names including Baros) is a solution for intravenous administration that increases plasma bicarbonate, buffers excess hydrogen ion concentration, raises blood pH and reverses the clinical manifestations of acidosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intravenous_bicarbonate

Thank you for the thought.

Yes, it was considered but the intravenous route has it's own side effects and dangers. It would require hospitalization. Oral administration is the safest route, unless the acidosis is so severe that one's life is at risk. It's self administered, too, so no hospital. My doc said that if the oral bicarb doesn't work, then we'll have to consider other options, one being a hospital trip and the intravenous bicarb. My next blood test is in two weeks, so lets keep our fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I'm laying low. Until my chemistries are fixed, taking my meds on time and not stressing my heart is my #1 job.

alcohol and sleep depravation,also self iduced flashing lights meaning closing my eyes while watching the sun flickers.

at morning closing my eyes,but its not a seizure trigger anymore since im on keppra

Oh, darn it. Bicarb not going well. I just started it a couple of days ago. It's made me EXTREMELY THIRSTY. I've had over a gallon to drink just today (no kidding) and have only *ahem* gotten rid of about a cup of it. My body is soaking the water up like a sponge. And my blood pressure is way up. I don't understand why. I'll call my doc on Monday and see what to do. He'll probably say quit the bicarb. Don't know what we'll do after that. Drat!

Last edited:
Whisles

My biggest trigger are whisles. It dont matter if it a tv show, songs on the radio, or out in public. I can tell if someone whisle on the other side of wal-mart. The first sign I am in trouble is the small seizure that starts in my face after I hear it. My seizures can last 10 days at a time. I live it a control silent environent. After a seizure the noise from a/c or disher washer is the worst. I have extreme virtigo non stop. I am trapped in my home. And I get attacked more in my home than public. My boyfriend loves football, my youngest loves tom and jerry. No exscape for me

Back
Top Bottom