Seizure Triggers

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

So i got diagnosed about 2 months ago... and the doctor im going to didnt tell me what kind of epilepsy i have or anything but kept me on a 1000 mg a day of keppra. that stuff made me insanely depressed and suicidal so he swiched me to Vimpat about 3 weeks ago. I lost 10 lbs just since i started vimpat because it caused me to lose my appetite. i think from not eating enough, i got sick. this last weekend it was like i had a cold and like 10 or 11 of the listed side effects for vimpat. I got really annoyed at having to take medication with all these horrible side effects so I havent taken in to for 2 days. since I dont have seizures very often, It luckily hasnt impacted me yet but sleep is definitely a big factor in my seizures. For me, i only have seizures when I havent slept enough, Im hungry, and I have a headache, THEN something can trigger it. like strobelights or someone lightly touching my skin will trigger one for me.

I have a few clear triggers; watching PC/TV screens. If there's a backlight - I can endure it a little longer. Also the motion of driving fast in a car, or even walking fast. Caffeine and cigarettes trigger my seizures if I am in a bad phase. My menstrual period. And mental stress. I also have a very "loose neck" from two car accidents - so whenever it "falls out of place" I get bad series of seisures with loud buzzing sounds in my head - that in turn (I believe) gives numbness, needles & pins sensations in the skin and terrible headaches.

I've often thought that my neck problems had something to do with my seizures. My Neurologist and Chiropractor don't agree with me though.

---

Last edited by a moderator:
It may well be.... as for me, after having been in here a couple of days now, learning about epilepsy the REAL way.... and not from any book, I am starting to wonder if i have had a very mild epilepsy since my first car accident when i was 16. I am now 38 and after the last accident in 2001, it's only got worse. I remember when taking my drivers licence, my mom was terrifide because the instructor had been watching my eyes while driving and he told me I would "space" out now and then. I, on the other hand felt I had full control. I did not notice. Also I have had periodic jerks in arms and legs since then. Also that's when the sleep paralyzis started, the vivid dreams and the "bad moods" in the morning. A feeling of dread when waking up. Maybe I already back then started to have nightly seizures. Hugs!

Last edited:
I don't know my trigger(s). I've had epilepsy for 8 years now, and I have yet to figure out what a specific trigger is. I am not photosensitive and sleep deprived EEGs with flashing lights have shown nothing. However when I was at Mayo clinc, after four days of being sleep deprived and off of medication, I had a seizure. But I feel like anyone would have one at that point.

I hope to figure out something specific someday!

:( my e key just fell out

My triggers for Drop Attack Seizures and Myoclonic 'tick' Seizures are:

Lack of sleep
Alcohol withdrawal (hangover)
Lack of protein or fiber ("good food") -- in the morning
Stress - irony due to working a Real Estate / Foreclosure law firm

I'm currently on Lamotrigine, and am having symptoms related to the drug and not my actual seizures, such as:

Fluorescent light/vision sensitivity
Drowsiness/tiredness -- only in the morning

Side note: I drink coffee consistently and it doesn't trigger any seizures

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom