So Emberessed, Seizure At Chruch.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
At chruch today we had like ten min left of church and I had a TC seizure. It was so emberessing.
That got my husband from his class and he waited till I wasn't seizing anymore and wasn't as stiff and I sighed, thats how he knows I m breathing normal again, and pick me up at took me home.
Im so emberessed there was about maybe 20 ladies in the room.
Has this happened to any of you? Did anyone think you were crazy?
The chruch I go to is The Chruch Of Jesues Christ Of Ladder Day Saint, AKA LDS, Mormon.
I feel like I don't want to go back. My husband told me when I woke up that he knew what was going on when they told him to come to the room.

One should never feel shame for their health issues
What will show your braveness is to show up as if it never happened.:twocents:

I agree with rich956 100%. When I was younger I was shamed of my epilepsy, my husband told me to never feel shame and always keep your head up!

Last edited:
I've had E for 30+ years. I've suffered CP and TC seizures at home and in public. I've never been ashamed of epilepsy. Sure, I've been embarrassed from the seizures at times, but not ashamed. It's a medical condition and no one thought I was going crazy.

Yes, please don't feel ashamed. I've felt distressed or disappointed or angry that I had a seizure, but not ashamed. I say this a lot, but I think it can help remove the shame/stigma if you think of the seizure as an asthma attack -- scary, serious, unpleasant to undergo or to witness, disruptive, yes -- but shameful? Absolutely not.

I've had a good bit of seizures in public places and I've never been embarassed about it so you shouldn't be.

I had a grand mal at a huge flea market once. Everyone just walked by me staring as I was laying down in the dirt shaking, I still go back to that flea market. I had a partial once in the line of a grocery store where I just sat down indian style in the check out line and wouldn't move. My husband had a heck of a time getting me out of that line so the 10 people waiting behind us could check out, I still go shoping there.

If these people are church people then it should be ok with them that you had it and not have different thoughts about you and treat you in any different way now. They should be there to help you through it and not talk about you doing it. I'm not a religous person at all but if I saw someone have a seizure I would still think of them in the same way and not think of them any differently, and this was before I had epilepsy.

Last edited:
I have a dark sense of humor so please don't take offense when I make this wise crack -

Thank GOd this didn't happen in 1601

I have a dark sense of humor so please don't take offense when I make this wise crack -

Oh Andrew, I just had to comment on your dark sense of humor....I was told once by a "church lady" when I had a seizure that it was the demons in me!

:roflmao:

And never be worried about what others think, they should be glad it's not them.

I had a t/c in the shower once, my husband laid my naked body on the bed and called 911. Apparently the hospital was busy or didn't care that night...I woke up naked, covered with a sheet in the hallway of the ER.

Everytime after that when 911 was called I'd wonder if one of the responding emt guys had seen me naked!

Eli

I m glad none of them said I had demons in me
The last part made me laugh. About if you ever wonder if the EMT guys seen you naked. I sometimes wonder the same thing:)

All you need to do is stand up and say "Ta-da" and bow, exit stage left

And I had a seizure at church once and was told "I need to pray more." :ponder: Not that the prayers did any good for my seizures.

And thank god they didn't happen in 1601 or even back in the 1970's for that matter.

My friend's sister thinks that someone in my family's past sinned against God and that is why I'm suffering through these seizures and that I should pray for forgiveness.

Maybe next time you go to church everyone is going to be so understanding and sympathetic! No shame! And hey, you added a little drama to the service and another chance to say halleluyah when you came around!

This was when the witch trials were JLogefeil

My family says this to me all the time! We think it's pretty funny. Guess we've got a dark sense of humor too.

This was when the witch trials were JLogefeil

My family says this to me all the time! We think it's pretty funny. Guess we've got a dark sense of humor too.

If you're talking about the "Salem witch trials", they were in 1692 and 1693.

If you are wondering about the EMT's seeing you naked, I have several good friends that are Firefighters, Paramedics and EMT's and I can tell you that the things they see everyday in so many situations, these guys have seen it all and when they are in that medical / rescue mode, it is all business. And they do everything they can to be modest so patients won't be embarrassed. So I wouldn't worry about it in the least.

Last edited:
Personally I think after talking to some ultra religious (creatures) there would probably be burnings going on today and probably do in real backward countries.
Check this out. It wasn't long ago we were being victimized. Check out the collegiate times site type in google "Collegiate times Day Recognizes epilepsy disorder"
pretty scary but we've come a long way. Still more to do though.

Back
Top Bottom