There is a cure for epilepsy...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Send me 12 pounds of it my way please
Mr. B!

popeyespinach.gif

:roflmao: @ Mr. B

I love Spinach and I grow it (along with
Collard Greens). But to top it off, I take
Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9) because of the
birth defect..

So I can "Pig Out" on this stuff.

:woot:

As for me overdosing on Beets and Dark
Greens
; not possible. While everyone else
is at the:

:flushed:

Not me!
:rock:

I am finally starting to understand the difference between the compounds and the mineral itself. That is why the ionic works so well for me. However, I am again using the chelated form to move Rebecca's body functions. At the neurologists suggestion I have increased her intake again to 1000mg. She (the Doctor) had no experience with any type of magnesium other than magnesium oxide. She suggested to do research and find what I was comfortable with...hmmmm

Other factors that may deplete the body of magnesium are stress, coffee, sugar, alcohol, soda, tobacco, diuretics, diabetes, low thyroid, medical drugs, and high perspiration. Many products are now fortified with calcium in an effort to combat Osteoporosis and other health related problems. But, without the proper balance of calcium and magnesium, the problem will likely worsen.

It's important to understand that many of the mineral supplements and mineral-fortified foods on the market contain powdered rocks and metals. These rocks and metals (mineral compounds) are mined from the earth and pulverized into powder and added to supplements and foods.

The human body cannot adequately digest these compounds - and with increasing difficulty with age. In fact, even plants rely on soil microbes to pre-digest mineral compounds so that they can then assimilate them.

To realize how ill-informed the public is about minerals, consider the questions that are often asked about mineral supplements. For example: "What type of calcium or magnesium should I take." The fact is there is only one type of calcium and one type of magnesium on the planet: the actual elements calcium and magnesium.

Magnesium citrate, magnesium sulfate, magnesium oxide, and even magnesium chelate are compounds, not the pure, actual elemental magnesium.

Magnesium, calcium, and other minerals are available in pure, crystalloid, ionic, water-soluble, non-compound, elemental form.

http://www.worldimage.com/blog/archives/000058_magnesium_deficiency.html

Can Magnesium be stored in your body because it's a mineral? Or does it need to be replaced every day like Potassium?

I'm guessing all excess gets eliminated in your waste like other minerals.

Magnesium

will, as Bernard guessed, be eliminated through waste........Think about it this way. If you start taking too much of it, and suddenly start getting the runs (sorry) you know your body is getting rid of the excess Magnesium.....

It's gross, but trust me, my body has proven that fact to be true time and time again...........:noevil::twocents:

I finally found a store that sells Liquid Ionic Magnesium (Whole Foods). I'll be curious if it feels any different than Magnesium Oxide.

It does not get stored. Calcium does though.
I have never done a test between the two., But I can feel it if I don't take it.
All I know is after about a month I never had migraines again.
Well ... that isn't true. I thought I would test the system, and went without for a few weeks.
I had a three day migraine, threw up and all, and missed my brothers 40th surprise wedding anniversary.
I will never do that again.

Hopefully your intestines will know the difference.

Last edited:
I don't think there's a cure for epilepsy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember Hawke... Epilepsy is only a label. For many there is an underlying cause for their seizures. Many can work very hard to find the triggers and reduce them or eliminate them. Does this cure Epilepsy... Epilepsy is only a label. It certainly might cure the underlying imbalance, or deficiency. If one balances hormones that might eliminate seizures. If one gets blood pressure undercontrol, that might eliminate seizures. If one balances unstable brain waves with neurofeedback, that too might eliminate seizures.

I do understand there is some damage that will never be healed, but we are learning that neurofeedback, can improve the quality of life for many having daily seizures. Many are able to reduce their dependancy on drugs and live without brain fog, or extreme fatigue.

We just need to encourage our conventional medical institutions to look at alternatives more often, and not rely on meds and surgical therapies.

Here's an interesting question: If you are taking Magnesium to the point that it gives you "loose stools", does that mean your AED's are getting flushed out of your body faster than they would have moved through your digestive tract had you not had "loose stools"? Has anyone ever asked their Neurologist this question?

No, they're

not, because even though you SWALLOW them, they dissolve into your BLOODSTREAM........and that's a whole different system.......

Well... I might think they they could be. Only my opinion here, but if the capsule does not have a chance to dissintegrate before it is flushed out of the system, then it could possibly cause less of it to be absorbed into the bloodstream.

This happens to vitamins all the time. I also have wondered if the "gut" is too acidic, does this affect the reliability of the med as well?

Here's an interesting question: If you are taking Magnesium to the point that it gives you "loose stools", does that mean your AED's are getting flushed out of your body faster than they would have moved through your digestive tract had you not had "loose stools"? Has anyone ever asked their Neurologist this question?

I asked my Neurologist this exact question. He said that my Keppra and Topamax levels would not be affected but he did say that the Tegretol XR levels could be affected. So I decided to stop taking the Magnesium and go back to taking the Great Earth Vitamins Multi-Mineral supplements which include Magnesium.

Last edited:
Symptoms of low levels of Magnesium.
The following is a list of things we can watch for concerning low levels of magnesium in humans:

1. Sleep disorders
2. Insomnia
3. Fatigue
4. High Blood pressure
5. Tensions of the body
6. PMS
7. Kidney stones
8. Bone Spurs
9. Osteoporosis
10. Muscle cramps
11. Irregular heartbeat
12. Backache
13. Headache
14. Irritability
15. CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, partial in many cases complete)
16. CVND ( Cardiovascular Nutritional Deficiency)
17. Depression
18. Constipation
19. Lack of mental acuity
20. Accelerated aging
21. Eye and facial Tics LMR (low magnesium relationship)
22. Tourette's syndrome LMR (low magnesium relationship)
23. Heavy metal poisoning due to low magnesium levels
24. Oxygen deprivation due to LMR
25. Compliment to Omega 3-6-9 fatty acids acting as anti-inflammatory being denied due to LML (low magnesium levels)

It is not completely clear what long-term damage is being done to the body by having low levels of magnesium.

wow, my eye twitches quite often (left), especially when I blink. Not to mention this time last year I went to the emergency room urinating sand-like stones! They said those were formed from uric acid? Anyone know if there is a connection between uric acid and seizures?

this is an interesting exerpt about uric acid headache and the connection to seizures:

Thanks Robin, that's a very interesting find. Not too long after that my whole left side of my face would twitch too. I attributed it to stress from my new job and it gradually went away.

I think we all just forget what a fine tuned machine we inhabit. It can withstand quite a bit but there is a tipping point. You might look at the thread that I started on Liver Function. I am beginning to think that this is a first level of healing that we all need to consider. Even if the tests don't show elevated numbers.

Back
Top Bottom