There is a cure for epilepsy...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I do not have Grand Mall Seizures, I have Partial Complex Petite Mall. Do you think it would help me as well?

FutureAndAHope

please do not refer to seizure as fit, its just not OK

and reply to positive as well as negative

glad u r on board!

"My friend has seizures around 4 am while sleeping." sounds so familiar...

Last edited:
You mention the assumption does not apply to my theory. Yet consider the following, any feature in the brain is controlled by multiple cells. If my theory is true that blood loss fires the fit, then consider the following. If 100 cells were responsible for fitting. If only 10% experience blood loss, only 10 will fire causing a mild seizure, and you will not fall over. If 50% experience blood loss the seizure will be more intense, but you might still remain upright. But if 80% fire it might trigger the type of seizure which causes you to fall. So my theory still works for all seizure types.

Just because the brain is controlled by multiple cells does not mean the seizures are caused by multiple cells. It only takes 1 neuron to misfire to cause a seizure- convulsive or not, also blood loss effects all cells so those numbers you gave made no sense & have no relevance.
You also have to realize that the body doesn’t function as straightforwardly as a mathematical equation might. Counting the number of neurons & blood cells might be interesting but there are so many things that are more relevant like how easily seizures are triggered in the individual, how stressed has the individual been, what other things might have increased the probability of a seizure etc. As well we all differ that way so using math equations to make such predictions is really moot.

But it is interesting to note people with poor blood flow do have seizures that are so similar to epilepsy that doctors say they can't tell the difference.

Interesting CV disease is linked to aggravated seizures, again related to blood flow.

Many things are interesting but you seem to imply that because something is interesting it proves something. Remember, it’s only interesting. You have to realize that any body function that is unbalanced may increase the likelihood of a seizure and blood flow is just one of those functions.

But they are dead or inoperable cells, which could do as I said in my post restrict blood flow. But so I can improve my understanding of brain damage how am I wrong.

Dead blood cells do not restrict anything. The red blood cells are filtered by the kidneys for recycling & excretion and white blood cells are only produced as they’re needed then used up. Like I said before, take an introductory biology course. Do you mind if I ask what level of education you’ve completed?

So at least in part what I said is true Triglycerides have been used in the treatment of Seizures.
The problem is that it has been found that using the Ketogenic diet only certain types of triglycerides (medium chain) have helped children with epilepsy but they need to burn the fat the way we burn protein. You associate metabolizing fats with effects of blood flow & the two are totally different. Saying that because fat can help during ketosis does not mean that blood flow will affect seizures as you are implying.

So so far I made the claim that the following things could help Seizures:

• Increased Blood flow - is true for Syncope based Seizures

• As I’ve said before, there is no reason to assume that just because it can cause a seizure in a non-epileptic doesn’t mean that it has something to do with someone who has persistent epileptic seizures. Also, should low blood flow/pressure trigger a seizure does not mean higher blood flow will stop epileptic seizures. You don’t seem to get those concepts.
    [*]Triglycerides - is true for treatment of children with Seizures
    Only medium chain triglycerides are used in this diet & only for children. I’ve explained how that has nothing to do with your claim
    [*]Magnesium - as the author of this thread suggests, and others I have read helps with Seizures
    As I’ve said before, there is no proof that Magnesium helps and as I’ve also said before anyone can post anything. That doesn’t stand up as proof. Numerous “diseases” that never really existed have been claimed on the internet. Like I said before, something should not be considered proof just because someone said it on a forum.
    Ever heard of adrenal fatigue? Wilson’s temperature syndrome? If not, there’s a good reason: They exist only on the Internet
    http://getbetterhealth.com/debunking-fake-diseases/2010.09.20

[*]Sodium - is the only claim that I make that has not yet been proved to help. Yet think of Sodium Valporate. It is Sodium that is used as a carrier for the Valporate component. What if it is the Sodium not Valporate component that is actually helping.
Like I’ve said before, Sodium is not salt. When two molecules join to form a larger molecule it changes the properties of both molecules. To give an example if you take a molecule of the element sodium & attach it to a chlorine molecule (remember that poisonous gas from WW I?) then you get table salt- a nice spice. Another example is to take a carbon molecule (as we are a carbon based life form) and attach it to an Oxygen molecule. Despite our life form being based on Carbon & needing Oxygen to survive, attaching the two molecules creates a Carbon Monoxide molecule- very poisonous.
I think it is good to look into all forms of Seizure, blood related Syncope, and brain damage related, and see if there is a link.

I agree all forms should be looked into but one of the reasons they are categorized as different forms is because what causes, effects or prevents one form of seizures does not affect another form.

I have a real fascination with knowing when seizures occur most commonly in epileptics. Are there any symptoms, or situations that trigger your epilepsy. My friend has seizures around 4 am while sleeping. Which could be related to blood flow, because blood pressure drops as you enter deep sleep. But I am interested to know.
Blood pressure does drop when sleeping but it starts to rise again a few hours before we wake http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-pressure/AN00391. If low blood pressure is causing seizures then why would they not happen before it starts to rise? Also, why would it happen at the same time each night as opposed to within the low blood pressure time zone? You also have to consider that the majority of people have seizures when awake so the low blood pressure theory seems irrelevant.
It looks more likely that someone slamming their car door shut outside at the same time when going to work is triggering their seizures.
I see you definitely have an interest in this so I would suggest taking introductory chemistry and introductory biology courses just for fun. You will definitely get a better understanding of how things work on a molecular level as well as how they apply to the human body. It will also give you access to people with greater knowledge of this subject for you to ask questions about your theories to.

Last edited:
epileric

hi ya!

"Dead blood cells do not restrict anything."

what about - red blood cells malforming/distorting, because that is what we seen meds was doing to my Son..in short 3 years...

input welcome.....please.

epileric

hi ya!

"Dead blood cells do not restrict anything."

what about - red blood cells malforming/distorting, because that is what we seen meds was doing to my Son..in short 3 years...

input welcome.....please.

Hey Chaz.

I do know that blood cells in sickle cell anemia can block blood vessels and that their function is impaired but they have a shorter life span & still get processed once they die. At least dead cells aren't blocking the blood vessels.

I am surprised because all the red blood cell diseases I've read about are thought to be inherited genetically so I find this rather interesting.

I'm really sorry to hear about your son though. I hope he's not going through too much pain or discomfort.

This is a very interesting thread! I am needing to point out that I am very active and have found that during intense aerobic exercise i started having temporal lobe seizures. So blood flow must increase my potential? Ironic too that I am a 30 year vegetarian and not one pound over weight but am diagnosed with super high Triglycerides and High Hdl and Ldl cholesterol. Doc's have had me also take meds for hypertension that they believe i 'inherited' I take magnesium every night for a variety of reasons including the theory that it can only help seizure activity. Curiously; for decades I had random, intermittent, varying in strength temporal lobe seizures. I chose to live with them and not treat. I would just blank out and have out-of-body experiences until my doc told me that they can grow to much worse seizures and should be treated. So I start taking different meds and start having big T/C sustained seizures. Now it seems that Keppra is the only thing that works and I can't stop it or grand-mals occur.
What do ya think o' dem apples?

This is a very interesting thread! I am needing to point out that I am very active and have found that during intense aerobic exercise i started having temporal lobe seizures. So blood flow must increase my potential?

Now I am not saying my theory is has to be true. But in regard to intensive exercise, blood quality drops over time, as energy is drained. Also combined with irregular heart beat, causing spasmodic or wave like blood supply to the brain. Could account for fitting in this scenario.

I am absolutely appalled by the term "fit." I get plenty of healthy exercise during the day and about 80% of my seizures are nocturnal, which means I'm laying down. Healthy heart, healthy blood flow, and healthy diet.
Epileric, if I could have "liked" your responses 100 times I would have. Thank you for taking the time to include a thoughtful post.

I am absolutely appalled by the term "fit."
:agree: To me, a "fit" is when a spoiled little brat screams, yells, over-reacts, when they don't get their way. I've never had a fit. I've experienced seizures.

It reminds me of when people with Epilepsy were confined to insane asylums and treated torturously out of ignorance. Those old terms need to be done away with! ;)

Back
Top Bottom