To Wear or Not to Wear~Medical Bracelets

Do you wear a Medical Bracelet/ID?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have one, it's a black silicone band. Like an awareness bracelet. If I am ever somewhere and I don't want it seen, I flip it inside out, so only the black side shows. But, I guess I'm not too worried about it. I have TCs with no warning, so I have to wear mine. The only time I don't is if I'm at home or won't be separated from my husband in a public place.

I'm going back and forth with it. My tonic clonic ones are spread 6 months apart, but you never know what could happen. Then again, I don't want everyone asking me if I'm diabetic or something.

I started wearing one; I'm allergic to Dilantin. In event of status, I need it; they use Dilantin for that. The sheriff's office gave me one as well. They sponsor a program for people who may become neurologically incapacitated at times. It's November. Let's rock it! :)

Wearing one has probably saved my life. I have worn one since I was diagnosed. It's just makes me feel more confident when I'm out alone that I can be identified and they know who to call

id probably choke on or break a necklace I will find something that works but those options on tuat sight and their prices don't work for me. I'm not going to choose between my food allergies,epilepsy and osteogenesis imperfecta as all 3 need to be known and don't really fit on small things I do have other issues to but they are not something that parmedics would need to know asap but those 3 are.

It is hard to break the necklace, unless you intentionally tried to break a necklace.

I just cannot bring myself to wear them. I was diagnosed a few weeks ago and my brain is not accepting it yet. I am going to start carrying a card with info about my problems speaking though. Anyone else do that? I read it can be helpful.

I purchased the medical bracelet that opens. Inside it holds a small sheet of paper with all the info on it. I figured that she would most likely have many med changes and I didn't feel like getting engraving done everytime.

Hubby and I were having a difference of opinion regarding the Medical bracelets. I thought that she SHOULD wear one at school because there are so many people around that may not yet be aware that she has Epilepsy. Also, because she is an active child I may not always be with her. The bracelet (theoretically) and the information inside will help others know what to do and how to contact me. Hubby feels that (like epileric) that it would label her at school. He worries about how she will feel if her bracelet gets unnecessary or unwanted attention.

In the end though I felt that taking one more precaution to ensure her safety was more important than any irritation it might cause. However I was unable to find a bracelet small enough so I ended up taking off the "chain" and replacing it with a pretty beaded section. Today, is her first day with it on at school.

Very good idea! I highly suggest starting her now with wearing something... Saved my friends life one day! Highly recommend it no matter how low of a risk, if you have a risk, wear it

I'm in two minds about buying one for while I'm away on holiday on one hand I'm off to egypt so who's gonna be able to read it an while on holiday I doubt ill be more than 20yrds from the rest of the family

I just cannot bring myself to wear them. I was diagnosed a few weeks ago and my brain is not accepting it yet. I am going to start carrying a card with info about my problems speaking though. Anyone else do that? I read it can be helpful.
I:

1. Wear a necklace with all physical health problems listed, and what EMS needs to be aware of electronically.

2. Wear a RoadID velcrove bracelet(I am a cyclist) that says to look at my Medic Alert necklace

3. Have a card in my hippack with a list of emergency #'s n' contacts

I'm in two minds about buying one for while I'm away on holiday on one hand I'm off to Egypt so who's gonna be able to read it an while on holiday I doubt ill be more than 20yrds. from the rest of the family
That is marginally justifiable. Arabic is not the only language spoken in Egypt. Also, Epilepsy is not confined to only those in the English-speaking world.

You didn't state your age. So being in a foreign country, maybe your family will 'keep you on a leash'. Then again, being in a foreign country, and getting separated for even a moment, could end up being very bad.

I was born in Germany, back in 1967 to American parents who both could speak German fluently. When I traveled to Tunis(Tunisia) in the 1970's, communication was a bit of problem since that is an Arab-speaking country in North Africa. But I was 10yrs.-old, and traveling with my mother and two of her friends. So they were always close by. When I traveled to Amsterdam, then Rome, when I was 11yrs.-old, it was the same situation. People do speak English in those countries.

When I traveled to back to Germany, then to Switzerland, Poland n' Hungary, when I was 24. The same situation applied. But in Germany n' Switzerland, I could communicate in German, since I had learned from learning about my birth country. Poland n' Hungary do have English, but it is not as wide.

So get one ASAP, regardless of any reservations concerning your trip.

Was the wifes idea not to bother but I think its time I did after all its not just then I am on my own when I'm out doing falconry displays in this country so yes time to ignore the missus and buy one anyweay lol

I recently started wearing a medical ID lanyard with a card stating all my meds, contact info and how long it takes for me to be coherent (i had a problem with the school calling an ambulance even when told not to and taking it as "implied consent" when I wasn't coherent enough to answer all their questions. my hospital bills from being rushed out from the school were more than my tuition!) and it stands out. Hopefully it works because I'm sick of the hospital when it isn't needed

Was the wife's idea not to bother but I think its time I did after all its not just then I am on my own when I'm out doing falconry displays in this country so yes time to ignore the missus and buy one anyway lol

I wouldn't say 'ignore' your wife but, 'convert' her to understanding the benefit.

I haven't been diagnosed with epilepsy, but I have Grand Mal seizures. Last night I woke up after being in the shower for 2 hours, so definitely getting worse. I am allergic to latex too. Would it be worth it to get a medic alert bracelet?

I haven't been diagnosed with epilepsy, but I have Grand Mal seizures. Last night I woke up after being in the shower for 2 hours, so definitely getting worse. I am allergic to latex too. Would it be worth it to get a medic alert bracelet?

Absolutely!!!! Because the gloves in an ambulance n' hospital, are made out of latex. Unless the medical supply companies have somehow created a new surgical material for EMS n' doctors, that will protect them from STDs. Yet, Allow a patient's health to be addressed on scene, without causing an allergic reaction due to the gloves.

Should I put that I have seizures on it along with obviously the latex allergy? And how much do they cost? Or does insurance cover them?

I'm just looking at them on ebay as I went into a jewers yesterday and was told only buy either titanium or stainless ones as its too easy to smash the other ones

Should I put that I have seizures on it along with obviously the latex allergy? And how much do they cost? Or does insurance cover them?

Yes, Also have Epilepsy listed(obviously). Because EMS, otherwise, wouldn't know if your seizures were from Epilepsy, or Diabetes.

Back
Top Bottom