Vitamin Deficiencies, Seizures and Anti-seizure medicine

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Ive been reading a lot of stuff in the past few hours and found this article. One of several but this one says that some anti-seizure medicines may deplete certain nutrients you need in your body.

Many nutrients you need such as vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Botin, Vitamin B12, & more, canbe destroyed by the anti-seizure meds you take and therefore needs to be replaced. Vitamin B6 believe it or not is a natural anti-convulsant and so is Folic Acid & Vitamin E is known to reduce seizures by as much as 50%.

Anti-seizure meds may also deplete your Vitamin D. This is something I'm very deficient in and I'm wondering if it's because of my antiseizure meds. Hmm, here's the link. Another article says that Keppra is a known anti-seizure medicine that depletes Vitamin B and a vitamin B12 deficency can cause memory problems

http://known-causes-seizures.blogspot.com/2009/02/nutrition-and-epilepsy-go-hand-in-hand.html

Last edited:
From the surgeons at Stanford, the one surely recommended was folic acid. Im sure the others will help in one way or the next themselves. I'd definitely begin taking some of these if I were you. I'm personally on B, D, Folic, and I'd like to try E at one point here.

yeah....I take all of those and my calcium supplement has the added D supplement to it. Had not thought about adding E though. Perhaps I will add that.

Tina

I was tested and I'm deficient in Vit. B6, B12, folic acid, Vit. D and calicum. When I have taken these in the past (over the counter) I would always have a seizure. I learned on the forum about compounding Pharmacies and how I have these compounded. I'm so thankful.

My daughter just got a letter from our insurance company yesterday saying that based on her medical records she may be deficient in Vitamin D. We wondered if they sent it because of the seizure meds she is on, but we had never heard of them depleting vitamin D before. She has been on a folic acid supplement. I guess we better get her levels tested.

I think you are being smart by getting her levels tested. Vitamins are like any thing else you can get to much.

bandmom, I'm very vitamin D deficient, normal is 30 to 100 and mine when first tested was 5.9. I think the anti seizure medicine I'm on has partly to do with that but I also don't have a colon so that takes stuff away too. It's good to get those levels tested regularly. Before I started seeing my current primary doctor, my other doctor did maybe 5 blood tests in the 10 + years I saw him and I have kidney issues and I need those tests.

I just saw a doctor today cause I was concerned about the hoarseness in my voice and bloating I've been having. So he did a chest x ray and blood work. I have a heart condition that in the beginning enlarged the heart and caused fluid around it and in the lungs. Glad to say that the heart is normal, normal size and no fluid in the lungs or around the heart. "WHEW"

I will get the blood work tomorrow to see if it's my Thryoid causing my symptoms since it's been abnormal for awhile.

Anyway, I DID ask him if my anti seizure medicine can cause a lot of vitamins to be depleted and he said YES!! A lot of vitamins can be destroyed by the medicine I take and it doesn't help having no colon for me, so I can be twice as deficient.

He recommended a B complex vitamin and DID say that Anti-seizure medicines CAN cause a lot of vitamin deficiencies.

Rebecca's test says that normal is within the range of 32 - 100.
Her recent test clocked her at 32.7, and she takes anywhere between 5000 and 10,000 IU depending on the time of the year. Her doctor said keep doing what I am doing.

I think it is also a matter of how healthy your gut is, and how well the body absorbs the vitamins and minerals

She does not take any anti- seizure meds.

I take about the same amount, and I have not had a cold or fever in over 5 yrs. Is it from the Vit D? I have no clue, but it seems to be the best culprit.
I also remain migraine free for over 8 yrs, due to my magnesium supplementation

Well, I don't have a colon anymore due to Ulcerative Colitis but I think my small intestines are healthy. Of course the doctor said that since I don't have a colon, my small intestines may not absorb ALL the nutrients I need cause I can't reabsorb water and so fourth.

I'll have to tell my cousin about Magnesium cause she's had migraines for years

The doctor recommended B complex vitamins for me today and I picked some up. Nature Made Super B Complex. Has Vitamin C, Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), Vitamin B6, Folic Acid , Vitamin B12, Biotin (B7), Panthonic Acid (5).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom