Weird smells part of aura...

Reaction score
Has anyone ever smelled burning things or rotting things as part of their aura before a seizure? I keep having these before CP seizures and they're rather unpleasant :huh: Just wanted to know if I was alone in this....

Endless

Even Keel
Reaction score
Hi, Rainbowbright,

You have lots of company, so you aren't alone!

Smelling strange things is a type of simple partial seizure. It's not just an aura - it's a seizure. It's a fairly common one for people to have. No matter what I smell, it has this strange acrid undertone to it. Ick.

Reaction score
Oh yeah:eek:

The first couple of times it happened, I thought that some random bad smells brought on a short-circuit feeling in my head. But then it continued to happen even when there wasn't anyone around to smoke 50 year old cigarettes or burn tires:lol: I finally realized that it was a sort of aura or seizure. Like Endless, the smells are always acrid though I think I do remember one case of a rotting smell.

ColmanMac

New
Reaction score
Hi "RB" - No matter wot the Sz type I always smell burning garden rubbish type aroma just B4 onset of Sz proper

Zoofemme

New
Reaction score
I have the stand-alone type of smell seizure. I smell burnt popcorn most frequently but will smell burnt paper, insulation, wood, melting wax,etc. I also smell rotting meat w/ an underlying hint of charcoal which is particularly nasty. Its quite unpredictable, I can go for awhile without having one and then be bombarded for a whole day or week.