Weird smells part of aura...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Has anyone ever smelled burning things or rotting things as part of their aura before a seizure? I keep having these before CP seizures and they're rather unpleasant :huh: Just wanted to know if I was alone in this....

Hi, Rainbowbright,

You have lots of company, so you aren't alone!

Smelling strange things is a type of simple partial seizure. It's not just an aura - it's a seizure. It's a fairly common one for people to have. No matter what I smell, it has this strange acrid undertone to it. Ick.

Oh yeah:eek:

The first couple of times it happened, I thought that some random bad smells brought on a short-circuit feeling in my head. But then it continued to happen even when there wasn't anyone around to smoke 50 year old cigarettes or burn tires:lol: I finally realized that it was a sort of aura or seizure. Like Endless, the smells are always acrid though I think I do remember one case of a rotting smell.

Hi "RB" - No matter wot the Sz type I always smell burning garden rubbish type aroma just B4 onset of Sz proper

I have the stand-alone type of smell seizure. I smell burnt popcorn most frequently but will smell burnt paper, insulation, wood, melting wax,etc. I also smell rotting meat w/ an underlying hint of charcoal which is particularly nasty. Its quite unpredictable, I can go for awhile without having one and then be bombarded for a whole day or week.

Back
Top Bottom