What should I eat before a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

James.G

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what I should eat after I have an aura which very often precedes a grand mal seizure.

I am 25 and had my JME partially controlled (3-4 months no seizures generally) in the past. However, this last year it has gotten much worse. I have moved onto a keto diet and upped my meds but I am still having the odd seizure or micro which is arm jerks and sudden loss of balance.

If I know that I am going to have a seizure within the next few hours following symptoms that I know from the years always mean it will happen - what foods or drinks may help with either postponing or reducing the severity of a seizure?

I have generally just lay down and necked a pint of water before a seizure but wonder if there is anything more that would make pre/post seizure more 'bearable' / 'manageable' ?

Thanks in advance - any thoughts are welcome :)

James

Hey James, welcome to CWE!

Everyone's different, so there's no way to know for sure what might work for you, or even if it will have any effect on the seizure or the recovery period. That said, I've found that staying hydrated is always a good idea, esp. something with electrolytes (like juice or a water + a banana). That can help lessen the post-ictal "hangover", especially if you don't feel like eating or drinking for a while afterwards. I also take a magnesium glycinate supplement -- mg plays a role in both brain health in muscle relaxation, so it might help you with the muscle jerks.

Assuming it's not contraindicated for you it might also help to take an ibuprofen or aspirin ahead of time to help with possible seizure-related muscle strains. (Marathon runners do something similar -- they drink sour cherry juice the day before a run, since it can help speed muscle recovery).

Finally, worth noting that these are just my anecdotal suggestions; it's always good to check with your doctor first and proceed with caution when making any changes to your diet or taking supplements.

Best,
Nakamova

My daughter is prescribed Clobazam for when she has an aura so as to avoid a full blown seizure and it has worked every time since being prescribed. Would it be worth asking your epileptologist if this may be a help to you I wonder? Before having this an aura would usually turn into a tonic clonic.

Back
Top Bottom