What Should I Expect When I Go See A Neurologists?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
So I m goin to see a Neurologists in about manybe a month and I m just wondering what shoul I expect? It's for my seizures and I'm afraid that he/ she wount beleave me.
Why kind of questions is this person going to ask etc?

what kind of seizures are you experiencing? Are you losing consiousness? I will have to ask my parents what was done when I first started having seizures. I was an infant, 18 months old when I had my first grand mal seizure. My mom got so scared, she called the ambulance, who took me to a childrens hospital and I guess thats where they began the testing process on me. All my life, I remember taking seizure medications, having appointments, and tests, such as EEGs, MRI's. Alot of that stuff.

I would assume that the dr would want to hear how the seizures are. If you are aware of whats going on during them, what you remember, what you're feeling at the time, etc. To determine what kind they may be. I would think they would want to run some tests too.. probably a EEG to see if any activity were to show up. Just write down any questions that are concerning to you.

My husband has typed up two reports saying everything he seen during one of my seizures and they sound like Tonic Clonic to me. I don't remember anything during and confused after a seizure. And sometimes I feel like I can tell I m going to have one.
Im just unsure if I even want to go see this doc becuase I m afraid they wount beleave me so I m still deciding If I m going to go or not.

I would go. Who cares what they think about the seizures. Give them the reports your husband typed up and let them review it. That will help them out alot. I wouldnt give up yet. Heck I remember having tonic clonic seizures and I would be out for a couple of days. I recall being so confused, tired and just feeling terriable. I wouldnt no way want to go like that any day.

I would definetly go to your appointment,its a long road you are going to travel and seen a nuero is on that road.He/She will be more specific than your local gp.The reports that your husband has prepared will help him imensley,they are there to help,not judge and with luck diagnois you,then find suitable medication.

Please dont waste this appointment,in my book see the nuero as soon as possible.

Im just unsure if I even want to go see this doc becuase I m afraid they wount beleave me so I m still deciding If I m going to go or not.

You won't know unless you try. If the neurologist understands and can help, that's terrific. If for some reason they dismiss your symptoms, find another neurologist who can help.

You won't know unless you try. If the neurologist understands and can help, that's terrific. If for some reason they dismiss your symptoms, find another neurologist who can help.

I agree. I would at least give it a shot and see what they have to say. :)

I would definetly go to your appointment,its a long road you are going to travel and seen a nuero is on that road.He/She will be more specific than your local gp.The reports that your husband has prepared will help him imensley,they are there to help,not judge and with luck diagnois you,then find suitable medication.

Please dont waste this appointment,in my book see the nuero as soon as possible.

I'm with Neil all the way, it really would be a waste. They can take so long to get into as it is, and this way if your seizures at any point get worse you are already a patient, rather then really needing one and then going for a consult (when it gets bad we don't have time/patience/mental status to handle that well. No waiting).

For now try your best not to second-guess yourself and hang in there until the appt. comes. If anything it is a form of trial and error, and not only in general life is that important, but ten-fold in epilepsy. Good luck sweetie.

-and that is SO great about your husband's reports; doctors appreciate that little boost of help to figure it out. Good on him.

And sometimes I feel like I can tell I m going to have one.

That is known as a simple partial seizure (many refer to it as an aura, same thing). Please be sure to tell the neuro, that is very important in figuring this all out.

Haha good!! A supportive and involved partner is CRUCIAL when dealing with epilepsy. Sounds like you got yourself a keeper...!

Back
Top Bottom