Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello Me again!

Just wondering what I should be looking out for: I'm presently on topamax 150mg a day and my neuro just added 1000mg of generic keppra a day to the mix, I would like evryones input on what I should expect. Now A little back ground on my dianosis, and history indepth more than before, sorry if it gets long.
I had a bicycle accident at 15 (31 going on 32 soon) had 3 subdural hematomas put into a chem induce coma) as a baby had feb seizures, right before my accident a witness who no cop got the name of ( not suprisingly) said I had seizure actitivity on my bike and collapsed) and they didn't do any work ups or follow ups in the hospital or afterwards, and then in 2008 talking to my shrink the med giving kind she thought I had complex partial becuase of my lost time black outs that I still get every now and then, mostly get SPS in 10-30 sec time fram and grand mal type in the night with urination after being with my wife (wink wink) and have and after talking to my neuro he had me do MRI, CT's and EEG, AEEG's, and all came back clear, so then I talked to the EPI doctor and she told me I have PNES, which my wife and I both though was kinda funny since the topamax has calmed my day and afternoon seizures, I've read alot about PNES and most of it dosen't fit me my seizures haven't changes over time my stress level has gottens less, my deppression has pretty much gone away, my anexity has gone by the way side years ago, I've neer been abused by my parents the taught me to never be bullied or be a bully I'm a male never been sexually abused ever, took my soda to about 1-2 cans a day now and still have the same symptoms as before and had a bad seizure in walmart that almost made me collapse in the bathroom with my kids with me today, had a electric shocking by my eyes last night and this morning and my neuro wrote it down and still wants to only send me off, please give your thoughts, I'm planning on getting a 2nd opnion on tuesday or after I see my primary doctor and see what she thinks, just for a fresh idea. You all have been a great support thank you for being a 2nd family.

Mike

Mike --

If the Topomax and Keppra help control your symptoms, that's a pretty good indication that your seizures are epileptic in nature rather than PNES. All the meds can potentially have side effects, so you just need to pay attention to how you are feeling, and make sure the side effects aren't too problematic. Topomax is known to make people feel slow ("Dopomax"). Keppra is known to make people cranky ("Kepprage") -- so those are some things to look out for. It can also take awhile to adjust to a new med, so it's worth giving it a little time before ruling a med in or out.

Thanks Nakamova,
so far so good, day and a half, mood is good seizures are contoled, other than the night of than the ones I get after being with with my wife (which may take a little more time to build up in my system) I felt one come on last night came and went with in half a sec with no seizure I was happy, so talking with my PCP on june 11th about having her talk to me about PNES to my neuro about PNES and my thoughts about them as well and how the combo of meds are calming them down.
thanks again Naka.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom