Which AEDs give you the worst side effects?

Which AEDs gave you the worst side effects?

• Depakote / Valproate/Valproic Acid/Divalproex Sodium

Votes: 108 25.4%
  • Dilantin / Phenytoin

Votes: 84 19.8%
  • Keppra / Levetiracetam

Votes: 133 31.3%
  • Lamictal / Lamotrigine

Votes: 81 19.1%
  • Neurontin / Gabapentin

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • Phenobarbital

Votes: 41 9.6%
  • Tegretol / Carbamazepine

Votes: 78 18.4%
  • Topamax / Topiramate

Votes: 79 18.6%
  • Trileptal / Oxcarbazepine

Votes: 37 8.7%
  • Zonegran / Zonisamide

Votes: 35 8.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Mel. If that is ok. I am on Keppra. And I was on Tegretol as a child. My mom said I acted nuts. Oh and you came to the right place. Keppra is a pretty new drug, but not the newest. Mood is a big one in Keppra. Some people call it Keprage. If that gives you a hint. And if your mood is off, your weight is bound to step in. Talk to an epileptologist about this. Sometimes other drugs can surprise you. Like topamax, or lamictal.I have hard time working out to because I will have a seizure.You will find a lot of people with a lot of expieriences to share. Research every med that the docs may want to put you on. Remember, it's your body and if it were your child that had this you would know it all. Own it;)

My parents loved tegretol because it made me so dead to the world I wasn't hopping around and being crazy like my siblings. I think that's part of why they didn't want to take me off of it.

Do you think the neurologist I'm seeing next month would be able to reccommend to to an epileptologist? If it gives you any idea of how uneducated I am I didn't even know such a thing existed. I'm glad I joined this site so I can hopefully learn more and be much more educated on epilepsy itself and the medications involved.

Mary, I'm sorry for the delay in replying, I'm too busy drowning in self pity! I'm pretty disgusted with myself, but now I've finished the temp voluntary job, I'm shuffling around the house like some lonely mad woman, I hate it, I've never hated life as much as I do right now!!!

I don't know of any books on bio feedback, I've got loads of books on all different aspects of epilepsy but not that specific. I hope life is treating you better right now, and I often wish that we all lived close by to each other, the computer is a great comfort but you cona't beat real company, I just don't really have any friends around where I live, associates not friends, and no family at all.

I never thought I'd end up in this mess, I just have to try and get a positive outlook on life, I miss my dear mum every day of my life, but I know she would have helped me so much.
xx

I'm shuffling around the house like some lonely mad woman, I hate it, I've never hated life as much as I do right now!!!
I never thought I'd end up in this mess.

:agree:

hugs lainey, and yeah we should all be closer :(

This must be a girl thing. I was feeling sorry for myself so bad today. Just sitting on Easter day making myself miserable. But I went to my mom's house (feeling sorry for myself again) I acted so stupid. How did I end up this way? Well I ended up talking to my mom and I felt so much better. To much on my plate. not able to work a kid with epilepsy, I was being a big baby. But after I talk to her. I felt so much better. We have to stay close, this is the best place in the world for me to come to when I feel I'm gonna break. Thank you everybody for being hear. and for being my friend.By the way you have every right to feel that way sometimes. We need to get it out of our systems.

Hi all, I came back to this page because I am back on keppra now. This is because (per my request) the doc started me on a trial of 'new-to-me' lemectil and I had several big seizures while doing the transition. He had me very gradually decrease keppra while gradually increasing lemectil. After a "sustained" seizure, that does not stop until they tranquilize my body in the ER, I said NO SIDE EFFECT WAS THAT BAD I JUST WANT TO GO BACK TO KEPPRA.
I never did try others though, except for dilantin years ago which i still have tooth/gum problems from and wont go back to.
I think these meds are all making me dumber too! And I'm not paranoid or anything but I know the BIG PHARMA co.s are doing the government's request to dumb-down the nation by making sure they give me the dumb-pills.

I hate that drug that makes your teeth and gums bleed and swell up. My mom worked for a dentist. They gave me free gum surgery. But my teeth still bleed bad sometimes. the best thing you can do it use is salt water every night.You will see results immediately.

It has to be keppra, im on 1500mg of keppra atm and the side affects are just unreal, i was on lamotrigine was having not nice thoughts on these but keppra has so many side affects i dont know where to start with them.

Im still on keppra now. It makes me feel tense all the time anxious makes me very angry. Makes nybmemory worse makes me feel like am going insane. And to top all that off therevnot helping seizures but making em worsre.

Keppra was by far the worst for me. I was OK on 1000mg a day. I went up to 2000mg
5 months ago and went absolutely crazy. The worst part was it took about 3 months to realize it. I called the Neuro and he sort of dismissed my claims and referred me to a psych. Psych prescribed antidepressant which made things a lot worse.
Finally went down on Keppra and started to feel a lot better. I told the neuro I wanted to stay in this lower dose, but he insisted on switching to lamictal.
I got much worse during the tapering process and ended up in the psych ward a the hospital.

I am still not fully recovered but I am sure it was the Keppra. I was a normal person before.
I did not experience rage at all. For me it was severe anxiety, depression, mood swings, strange thoughts, near psychosis.

This si how i feel on keppra like am going insane but my ep nurse says theres not much she an do apartf from speak to my neuro but thats all theya re doing speaking and dnot atking action or trykng new meds and its strting to get on my nerves now. Its more rage with me and mood swings. im fed up of it but like i say they wont try me on different meds and i dno why.

vimpat... all the way. i HATE this drug. won't go on my prescribed dose either (i usually warn greatly against that) however i got just over the half amount and was walking into walls. it makes me uncomfortable, spacy, feels like i just smoked a whole joint, can't stand straight. grrrr. not sure tho if it's the vimpat itself or b/c it's mixed with carb and lamot.

For me,funnily enough i always used to big up Tegretol while i was on 800mg.Then i was put up to 1200mg and the problems started,crazy dizziyness,double vision and vomiting,never again as long as i live.Although once i put myself down to a 1000mg all side effects stopped.It just goes to show it's a fine line,bloody aeds!!!

i know crash its stupid aint it? im on the highest dose of keppra 1500mg morning and night some days are worse than orthers for side affects but the meds arent controlling my seizures but neuro will not get back to me.

Back
Top Bottom