Will 3D viewing trigger sizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I think that it is the parents right as a care giver to restrict any activity that they believe is harmful to the child, as long is no other harm is being done in the process. There really is no such thing as a normal life. I wasnt allowed to watch much TV growing up, because everyone said it was bad for your eyes. So my parents bought me some outside toys to go play with me friends.

I think having friends requires social and physical interactions as opposed to sitting infront of the TV.

Although in that respect, the flat screen TV is way better for our eyes, as it does not flicker the feed as a tube TV did. So who to say that when these new 3D screens come out, that they will not be better. Smoother, less choppy images are better. and in my guess, if it looks more real, it might trick the brain into NOT having a seizure, as it is something shown very similar in "real life" *not sure if I am explaining that right...*

example: you are watching rain in the 3D technology, you can see it in your peripheral vision, and you can see it infront of you. rain falls at varying speeds and sizes. 3D images in Avatar show the rain drops as tiny spots of static, so that is what set me off. as the rain drops flickered instead of acting like natural rain. Now if this technology were to improve, they may be able to mimic the natual fall of rain. Therefore I would not have a seizure, as real life rain does not bother me....

did that make sense?

EDIT: I agree with Robin as well. please re-read my previous post.

Robin, thanks for your response. It seems I have stirred up a hornets nest however I do not apologize for my passion.

Here is something about me so that "you can get to know me"

I am 55 years old and live in Adelaide, Australia.

Iam not sure why I have to justify my reasons for wanting to contribute to this site, or any other site relating to epilepsy however you have caught me in a good mood - hopefully the following will help me pass your test. (yes frustration again)

My exposure to epilepsy is via my daughter who is now 23. She was diagnosed with Complex Partial Seizures (formerly generalised as Grand Mal) at the age of 6 months old and has suffered with them since. I will keep this shost and to the point otherwise I could write a book about her / our as parents experiences.
Firstly she was misdiagnosed as having fibrile seizures - next day she was in hospital and suffered over 100 complex partial seizures in a day. There are lessons to be learned about "challenging" a doctors diagnosis when it comes to seizures - I/we learned the hard way.
In addition to a form of epilepsy that is the hardest to control my daughter has intellectual and physical disabilities, however I will put those to one side and concentrate on her epilepsy.
I really believe I have some experiences in dealing with avery young child diagnosed with epilepsy, things like medications, talking with doctors, researching and other things that may help parents of young children with epilepsy.
The "tips"I can offer relate mainly to the "pitfalls" and the "myths" and believe me there are many.
And in now adulthood my daughter suffers side effects from many many years of muliple drug therapies (hers is 3 different drugs, some of which have changed over the years as new drugs became available) - the effect of taking so many drugs at different doses over a long period of time does not do the body organs any good at all - and some of these effects are not listed in the "side effects" sections of the individual drugs and even many, if not most neurologists are aware of the cumulative effects of such a drug regime over extended periods. Just as they have no definitive answers on what causes epilepsy they also do not have answers to other issues.

Most neurologists / pediatricians rely very heavily on information provided by the patient or the patients parents to make certain decisions - why? - because they do not have all the answers.

So Robin I have said my piece, I could go on for hours but will desist - I hope I have passed the test, if not I have many other epilepsy sites I am contributing to that keep me very busy.

cheers, Mike O'Shannessy

Robin - have you read the article I tried to post as a url ? - if you have then you have definately missed the plot - if you haven't then you should. Your comments are not in sync with the subject.

cheers, Mike O'Shannessy

I feel for you Mike,
You and your daughter and your family must have been so frustrated with all of it. and I do understand. it felt like my life was ripped out from under my feet in October of last year. I'm 20 years old, and never understood or acted on what turned out to be seizures.

I am now really passionate at learning about this disorder, but from what I gather, nobody is the same. everyone is different. like snow flakes. it will just never happen on finding 2 identical cases. and because of that i think it is hard to fight for something and say its for everyone, when everyone is unique and has their own views on their disorder

But I am going to need to bow out of this discussion for now. I'm off to bed. its pretty late here. 11:39pm, and my sleep schedule sucks. But I think your discussion is warranted, but policies and procedures are put in places for several reasons. some of which we might not ever understand. but all the same they are rules. We all have to start at the bottom of a ladder and work our way up. it has alot to do with trust here

unlike most forums, this is more- as the Nakamova and RobinN put it- like a dinner party.

perhaps you may find this useful for you. it may help with the frustration:

Party Crashers

Good Night

Last edited:
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. :hello:

New members are not allowed to post live* links or images. It's a policy put in place so CWE isn't low hanging fruit to the dregs of cyberspace. See the "Party Crashers" discussion Rae linked above for background on why it was put in place.

*You can post links if you replace the periods in the link with spaces. A moderator will review the link and generally fix it with a live link after verifying that it is OK.

That said, new members who use their first post just to post a link are generally viewed as a spammer trying to promote their site/page and not interested in becoming part of the community. No dinner party host wants a guest who arrives suddenly and starts trying to get people to leave. We are all here because we enjoy the conversation and comradery.

You are welcome to start a new discussion about 3D tv and photosensitivity issues if you don't find the existing Avatar movie discussion suitable. This discussion seems to have moved in a different direction.

Back
Top Bottom