Wootwootwootywootwoot!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'll vote that maybe he had a complex partial or absence and lost track of the time. Or didn't remember most of it for some reason. Maybe he fell asleep during the relaxation?

Maybe Scott ended up on an Oceanic flight (with the folks from "Lost").

When I had my first sleep-deprived EEG (the kind where you have to stay up the night before) I told the EEG tech "I'm sorry I didn't fall asleep for the EEG" and they said "Are you kidding? You were out for 20 minutes!"

Maybe he did nap. Or he had one of his "naps". That's what we call his sudden, unplanned moments of bed time, we use air quotes and all.

If I didn't know any better, I would have thought he had survived some traumatic incident -- he was totally in a dissociative state when he left the EEG. He's still having aftershocks. He was lying on the bed at home, awake, and suddenly muttered "What am I doing here?" He told me a moment later that all of a sudden he didn't know where he was.

I hope he feels better soon, it sucks that the tests made him feel lousy. When do you get the results?

hehe, my EEG, the lady kept telling me to "relax" and I kept arguing with her that I was relaxed. Until she asked me who I planned on punching and I realized my hands were balled up in really tight fists. I wonder what would happen if you punched the stupid strobe light? teehee

Nak --from what I can gather, the neuro will get the results in a week, and then however long for him to interpret them. I figure a few weeks before we hear from his office, maybe?

Yeah, I thought maybe he would feel nauseous after the EEG, but I definitely wasn't expecting this. Poor guy. I swear, if I hadn't been there, he might have wandered the halls for a while. I don't think he would have found his way home for a good long while :lol:

Inaara -- you totally should have punched the light :lol:

Huh. Now he suddenly stopped talking mid-sentence and began tidily arranging things on the table.

He doesn't recall that he had been talking. Hmmm. This test really did a number on him. Yeesh!

Well I guess you've just identified another trigger of his -- annoying EEG tests.

monitor those. was he responding when he was tidying? and maybe make him take a nap

I didn't talk to him when he was tidying, so I don't know. I was just staring and waiting for him to continue. He looked at me and was like what? I'll be keeping my eyes open for similar behaviour in the future. He's moody today too, but he woke up that way.

He doesn't want to nap, and napping often makes him feel worse, so I just let him relax a bit and didn't kick up a fuss over his staying awake. He seems much better now.

He probably had a mild seizure if Scott stopped talking in mid-sentence. Also, the "crabby" behavior you're describing is more than likely the result of the seizure activity Scott exhibited during the EEG. Further, if Scott was sleep deprived when he had the EEG and was also experiencing back pain, that combination could explain the seizure-like movements (complex partial) and the effects of the long & short bursts of the strobe lights which I described to you. The abnormal movements Scott experienced if he were alert enough to observe them accurately would be correct.

OCCB, this period of feeling crabby, especially after having a seizure is known as the post-ictal state of the seizure. It may not last very long, but one can feel angry or out of sorts. That Scott doesn't feel sleepy isn't necessarily the same for everyone. Different people experience different things. If I have a seizure, the first thing I feel is very sleepy, possibly b/c of the type of partial complex seizure's focus in my brain. Please keep a journal of all that has happened!

Last edited:
I'm definitely journal-keeping. Thank you McGill! Now let's hope something showed on the EEG *fingers crossed* He gets the crabby behaviour when he wakes up often as well (especially when he scratches and chomps in his sleep), which makes me think a fair amount of his night-time activity are likely seizures.

I have made him bacon a few times today, for making his brain hurt moar during the test. I swear, I had nothing to do with that! :lol:

Maybe you didn't, but possibly the bacon did! Not joking, b/c the bacon is cured and there are usually some preservatives besides salt in the bacon.

Maybe you didn't, but possibly the bacon did! Not joking, b/c the bacon is cured and there are usually some preservatives besides salt in the bacon.

Wait...bacon is bad? This makes me terribly sad. On the plus side, at least I now know (from the earlier post) what the crankiness is all about. I thought I was just having mood swings. :/

It's the preservatives in the bacon which can cause problems, along with some of the food dyes. Other processes which bacon is put through to get the desired taste and type or style of bacon - back bacon vs. side or loin bacon which has more fat than the back bacon, has to be considered. Unless you're on the ketogenic diet, it's not wise to eat too much fat for a number of reasons!

Okay seriously your telling me that Bacon is bad .... :cry:
I've been reevaluating my food choises coffee chocolate now bacon DOH!

Hope Scott is feeling better today. I know when ever I go in for tests they always make sure I have someone with me so that I don't wander the halls aimlessly afterward.

The basic food groups are fat, sugar, salt, and caffeine right? So you take away bacon, chocolate, and coffee and life gets hard...

By last night Scott was doing much better. He was all perky and chatty. He didn't seem to have more spells after the tidying one, so yay for that. He also seems to have slept like a log.

A life without bacon, coffee, or chocolate? Count me out! Anyway, if the bacon affected him, it was after the eeg -- we both forgot ot eat before we went.

On the subject of chocolate -- real dark chocolate anywhere from 70-90% cacao always makes Scott feel better. It seems to help a little with his nausea. So chocolate isn't so bad, but candy bars are out.

I'm glad he's feeling better. Do you think the empty stomach was a factor? I know that low blood sugar can put me over the edge.

I like a bit of dark chocolate too, along with a tiny sip of red wine. Chocolate has three stimulants (not including the sugar). There's the caffeine of course, but also theophylline, and theobromine which are supposed to affect the brain in similar ways to feeling "in love". And I think dark chocolate has anti-oxidant properties too, right? The perfect food.

Back
Top Bottom