You know you have epilepsy if...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

You know when ...

In hospital under observation you wake up thinking your taking your A level English exam and write an essay on Sylvia Plath. Later nurses hand you 2 sides of A4 covered in unintelligible scrawl.

Q

As part of your employment you're trying to send an urgent email to the city to get a building permit and you can't remember how to spell "sketch" and you can't even come close enough that spell-check will correct it so you save it in the draft box until later. You remember the email a week later when the contractor calls you about the permit.

When someone accuses you of not listening to them and asks you what they were talking about. Oh, guess I wasn't listening. I really thought I was...

When you're talking to your boss on the phone and he says "What?" It suddenly dawns on you that you don't have a clue what either of you are talking about and you have to ask him what he just said.

When you wake up in the morning and find a bunch of empty food containers in the trash can or on the coffee table that were not there when you went to bed. Then you ask your husband about them and he tells you that you got up and ate everything.

Or before you go to sleep you pack up all the snack food and ask your husband to hide it.

When you realise you've just chain-smoked a packet of 10 cigarettes

When you go to get dressed for work and come down still wearing your pink sheep pyjamas (did that this morning)

When you rush to work because you're late, and then get there to be told that you're either two hours early or you weren't supposed to be there at all.

Oh I have done that. Gone in 2 hours early, sent my boss an email, realized what time it was and sent another email that I was going back home for awhile, Also have started to got in on a Saturday when I realized I only work Mon-Fri.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should maybe tell my boss what is going on. I'm almost afraid he is going to think I am drinking.

When you work in an office (mostly alone) and keep most of the lights off and frequently even wear sunglasses inside. When someone does come in and gives you strange looks you just claim you are trying to avoid a headache. Somehow that sounds more acceptable than saying you are trying to avoid a seizure.

You frequently wear sunglasses at night because the car lights bother you. I have also noticed my 3 1/2 year old grandson (autistic) will put his sunglasses on if we go for a ride at night. He always wears them during the day.

Yes sunglasses indoors on moderately cloudy days, people think your loony when you try to explain that indoor lighting feels like a super nova.

Q

Wondering why your Subway sandwich is suddenly laying on the floor across the restaurant. :banghead:

You know you have epilepsy when.....

You wake up in bed covered in vomit and walk to the kitchen to see your pillow soaking wet in the sink......but don't remember putting it there.

When family members, friends and valued collegues have pet names for your myclonic jerks everything from 'the windmill' a double arm twitch to 'Elvis is in the building' leg twitch with hip thrust.

Q

That even in dreamland you have to take a break and pop your meds!!!

Happened to me last night. 1st time ever!! I dreamed I was building a sandcastle with my daughter, looked at my watch and saw that it was "pill time" and grabbed for them in a backpack ....

:what:

Or when being questioned on whats going on and you explain you have been having severe complex partials that sometimes are turning into toni clonics and the er doctor just looks at you like what on earth are you talking about.

Or you have seizures snf because as you were coming out of it you realized they were trying to turn you so you decide to help and they say it was just a pseudo seizure until your next seizure and them not being able to wake you go 'now that looks like the real thing'

Lol

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

when memories from two years ago come clattering back like a Jacob's ladder, precisely to the vowel... precise, but still jumbled

you know when...

Mum say's you've "chucked a wobbly" :woot:...

your loving brother has said to others "leave her, she's fine" to which they are shocked at how "heartless" he is being. He knows you have to let me just ride them out then see what they can do for me...

you remember being at a certain place and then find you are several blocks away and get slightly freaked out coz you have crossed 2 kinda busy roads :uh-oh:

You know your epileptic if you think you should get a 2nd opinion before calling the fire department because you smell something burning.

Mum say's you've "chucked a wobbly" :woot:...
I have a family member who calls my partials wobblys LOL

I have an American friend who refers to me having a seizure as going Goofy lol.

Back
Top Bottom