You know you have epilepsy if...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

you know you have epilepsy...

When you show up for work unscheduled...when you don't show up and a manager calls you and you just think they are asking you to come in on a day off, but you are supposed to be there! When you show up late because you read schedule wrong and greet everyone in a friendly manner and they look at you weird...oops my bad!! A manager has to tell you the same instructions over again in small increments...and again. Bleh. If I only had a brain! My employer knows I have E.

Or when you show up 2 hours early. I work along so I could have easily gone home and no one would have realized but I logged in to the computer and send my boss my regular report.

You know you have epilepsy when:
* When you realize that you are sleeping on a bath mat covered in just a towel as a blanket and it is the most comfortable spot in the world.

I love it - don't you just love being awoken by the paramedics and some family member, or something, and they're 'screaming' to you "you've had a seizure... just stay calm" and all I can think is "then GTF out of my FACE... and LET me... sleeeEEP... here... on the sidewalk... of the highway's frontage road........ oh... maybe I shouldn't stay here..." but it's the most comfortable 'head-space' in the world, in a way... and I don't want to move at all!
in that regard, being bothered post-ictal is the worst part of epilepsy, IMHO

when remembering the past few days, one of the few people you refer in the third person is yourself.

lol - I've referred to 'myself' as "it" often
not as in Addams Family cousin, but as the whatever it was

when you have a seizure at work at a restaurant and none of the staff knows what to do, but one of the customers who was trying the place for the first time has seen you have a seizure before in a different restaurant.

When you purchase a hoodie that says 'coping with epilepsy' for $50 but only wear it at home while having seizures.....

LOL!!! Screamy do expect my dry cleaning bill through the post,im covered in coffee after reading that first thing!!!

you have a medic alert bracelet to match all your clothes

You purchase a medical bracelet. Then purchase a medical bracelet. And purchase a medical bracelet.

So true. I have lost mine. The ear bashing I am getting at the youth centre is unbearable.

Q

The paper in my medic alert necklace has had that much tipex on it to cope with my changes in drugs it now just flakes off.........in need of new paper I think

...when you've thrown up so hard you may have 'hit' your prostate gland.

PS: YES I CAN READ THE SMALL FINE PRINT!

:pfft:

==============================

BRAINY's TOP 10

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE EPILEPSY WHEN ...

10 ) You're on a conversation on the phone and suddenly
you've seized and you've either lost your train of thought
and forgotten what you've said or you're repeating yourself
like you've just called them!

:embarrassed:

9) You come "out of it" and tell everyone that you want
to go home and YOU ARE HOME!

:paperbag:

8 ) It's in your head but just doesn't come out of your mouth
when you want to say it

:noevil:

7 ) It's in your head but when you want to WRITE it, well,
umm - I'll stop here.

:agree:

6 ) Your Neurologist and Epileptologist tells you it's all in
your head as if .... we didn't already know that?

:ponder:

5 ) The most over-used line in Neurology is " Here, Let's try this"
in regards to AEDS ...

:giveup:

4 ) Medical Personnel & Medics as well as others who freaks when
they see a seizure in action and don't know what to do?

:eek:

3 ) Being wiped out as non-epileptic; and only to find out you're
in the local ER with a major tonic-clonic or went into status or
back-to-back after being misdiagnosed because they couldn't
find anything and all results were 'normal' including the EEG's?

:mad:

2 ) Having all abnormalities from Scans to EEG's - but only to
be slammed in the face in being told you can't have surgery
and you're refractory / intractable?

:razz2:

1 ) Video Electroencephalograms seems to be a cure-all for
people with Epilepsy ~ hardly ever seem to ever land any
seizures no matter how hard everyone tries to provoke one,
but the moment the patient goes home ... Shish-ka-boom-bah,
go figure - patient gets the seizure (and it's not unusual either)!

:huh:

That video electro-encelphalogram thing? I totally thought that was just me. I spent a week feeling sleepless & terrified, then felt hugely guilty for making my friends sit beside me in shifts 24 hours a day while nothing happened. Then, a couple of days later, I'm in the same hospital's ER having had multiple tonic clonics in the ambulance. So frustrating!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

whenever you have anything wrong with you people say "is it your tablets?"

eg for the past week I have had nose bleeds.

Last edited:
You know you have epilepsy when:

1. you've busted your nose in the shower.

2.fallen hit a chair in ur bedroom busted ur head open and don't remember a thing.

you have a collection of hospital wristbands

(they are for next years halloween costume, I will be an angel of death)

your students tell you to have "notepaper" lines tattooed on the back of your hand and up your arm.

I write notes to myself in the only place I know I won't lose them. I can't keep of track of most of the things they ask for or about.

Back
Top Bottom