Can They Diagnose You Even If?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
I have a question! So if I do everything that the doctors tell me to do like keeping a diary about your seizure, talking to a psychiatrist, taking the medicine they prescribe to you, ect, if you do the stuff they want and your psychiatrist writes a letter saying that the diagnosis that the doctors thought it WAS, is NOT the right diagnoses to him, and that is his professional option.
If you do the stuff the doctors wanted you to do and you still have seizures and the test that the do like the EEG is not showing really anything but you have all the physical signs and symtoms of seizures, can you still get the diagnosis even if they can't see it on the test?
Thank you for you answers :)

I was diagnosed without a test but I had 2 tonic clonics.
Really? That's what I have and the test show really nothing d
So they though it was psudoseizures but my psychiatrist thinks that there not psudoseizures. So that's y I was wondering if I can be diagnosed with out having the Proof but have all the physical symptoms.

I was lucky enough to have my husband witness the first, and thee second I was sure happened because I collapsed outdoors in a white coat and the marks on the coat, the loss of bladder control and the pain and sleepiness afterwards confirmed that one. I also get those seizures where you are aware but can't move or speak. Since I was diagnosed I can't get my gp to acknowledge any of my simple partials though...

I was lucky enough to have my husband witness the first, and thee second I was sure happened because I collapsed outdoors in a white coat and the marks on the coat, the loss of bladder control and the pain and sleepiness afterwards confirmed that one. I also get those seizures where you are aware but can't move or speak. Since I was diagnosed I can't get my gp to acknowledge any of my simple partials though...
So your husband was there when you had your first three seizures. But you doctor doesn't want to help you or not want to believe that your having partials seizure?
The seizures that I have I don't remember any of them.

I think that you just need to push to see another neurologist.
Usually you have to go to your regular Dr. (your GP) to get another referral since of course, the neurologist thinks that they are right. Or if you can, see if you can see a neurologist who specializes in epilepsy. An epileptologist.
I went through 4 neurologists before I got anywhere.

If there's a negative EEG, an experienced neurologist might still make a diagnosis of epilepsy based on the clinical evidence alone. (The clinical evidence is your actual symptoms). Then if medication is prescribed and helps control the symptoms, that can provide secondary confirmation of the diagnosis.

Diagnosis takes forever but keep doing what you're doing. If any of your friends witness anything, get them to record a statement on your phone and describe what they saw. Keep up your hospital/doctor visits to keep a history up and eventually you'll get somewhere. I'd definitely recommend you see an Epileptologist or Neuro at the very least. Push for it and remember, you know your body best. And to play devil's advocate, even if they are psuedo seizures, they still need to be investigated as they can still be dangerous. I too have seen a Psychologist to rule out and psychological basis and I still see her occasionally for relaxation and hypnosis techniques. She can't find any evidence of psychological issues. Good luck and keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom