Controlling Seizures With Raw Foods

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
We're currently controlling my son's complex partial seizures with a high-raw diet. He eats mostly fresh, raw fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds. Occasionally he will have a homemade salad dressing that may contain one or two non-raw ingredients. He may also have a baked sweet potato or steamed veggies (without spices or condiments) once a week or so. He doesn't complain about eating this way. He's not singled out. Our entire family is eating this way as well and we've seen loads of benefits. I just wanted to start this thread to give a place where those of you with questions can feel free to ask them. I also wanted to share this video that I found this morning. Another girl cured her epilepsy and came off medication by changing over to a raw foods diet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obj...e" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm not saying that everyone's results would be just as successful. You must do the research involved to see if this is the right path for you. I also don't advocate stopping meds cold turkey. Use wisdom.

Zoe questions from 'Epi Improved w/gfdiet' thread:

Originally Posted by LivingFruity:
I do not include sprouted grains or beans in my diet, but some people choose to do so. There's no special nutritive value in raw sprouted beans or grains that I can't get elsewhere. They just don't appeal to me.

Originally Posted by Zoe:
Thanks Sarah,
Sorry I'm just getting this. I asked about the beans and grains because of their phytate content. I'm interested in more details about what you do eat during a typical day and does it provide you with all the nutrients you need, minerals, vitamins, amino acids, protein, fiber, carbohydrates?
I stick pretty close to a gluten free diet, lots of veggies, very little meat, tofu and eggs for protein along with some soy powder. What about bread?
I'd like to understand more what it is about the diet that leaves you feeling so much better and is helping your son with his seizures.

Last edited:
My Reply from Epi Improved thread

Hi Zoe,

I've spent the last almost two years of my life researching diet and nutrition and the human digestive system. I don't claim to be an expert, but I feel confident that I am making the right choices for my family based on what I've learned and how our bodies have responded to the dietary changes we've made.

I don't believe grains and legumes(beans) were ever intended for human consumption. We lack the digestive enzymes necessary to break down and assimilate them. Birds and a few other animals do have the digestive enzymes necessary for grains and beans. This is why so many people have digestive issues (gas/bloating) and disease (celiac) from the consumption of bean and grain products. As humans we feel entitled to eat whatever we want, but that doesn't mean our bodies were designed to eat whatever we could manipulate into a tasty meal.

My breakfast typically consists of a quart-sized fruit smoothie made with fruit, ice, and just enough water to blend. I always include bananas in this smoothie to give it a sweet flavor and creamy consistency. My breakfast is usually 500-700 calories. Lunch is another quart-sized fruit smoothie along with some celery, cucumbers, grapes, or some other finger food that I might desire to munch on while I sip the smoothie. This usually provides around 700-900 calories. My favorite, well rounded dinner consists of a smoothie made with more acidic fruits like pineapple and berries, a raw soup, and a salad topped with tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, nuts, and a fruit of some sort (grapes, pineapple, or clementines). Dinner usually provides between 300-600 calories. The bananas I consume at breakfast and lunch provide a lot of calories for those two meals, which is ideal because I am more active during the day than in the evening hours. I snack on fresh fruit if I get hungry between meals. I would say that snacking averages into another 100-200 calories a day. I average between 1800 and 2500 calories. I use www.nutridiary.com to track my calories and nutrients. I don't enter them in every day, but I will do that every so often just to make sure I'm getting what my body needs. My food varies depending on my mood and what's in season. Some days I may make a fruit salad at lunch instead of a smoothie. Some evenings I may prefer to make a dip and eat veggies and dip instead of a salad.

I get all the nutrients my body requires from the food I eat. I haven't needed supplements since beginning this way of eating. I've had my blood checked three times and each time it has come back perfect. The first time it was checked my insurance premiums were lowered because I was so healthy. My protein levels are right where they should be and my blood sugar levels remain consistent. My blood pressure and cholesterol is perfect. I've always been anemic and I've been on iron pills for this issue in the past. My iron levels now remain normal as well. I don't have to take multi-vitamins and calcium pills anymore. My PMS symptoms, heavy, painful menstrual cycles, and extreme painful ovarian cysts have been relieved. For the first time since puberty, my cycles come regular, they're lighter, and without the debilitating pain I once suffered. My regular headaches have disappeared. My energy levels have soared. My heart rate has come down(used to race). My joints don't creak when I move anymore. I felt like I was much older the way my joints used to pop and creak every time I walked across a room. My seasonal allergies went away. I haven't been plagued by my annual sinus infections anymore. I haven't even had so much as a cold since we changed our eating habits. All body odor left. I really have no need for deodorants anymore. Bad breathe is gone as well. My hair is healthier, no longer dry and brittle. My emotions and moods stay balanced. I can think clearer, like a brain fog lifted. Really, I could go on and on about the benefits. The more I think back to how I was two years ago and how I am now, I'm amazed. I lived on ibuprofens for cysts, headaches, cramps, back aches, etc. I haven't had a pill of any kind in more than 21 months. On top of all of this, I released over 55lbs of excess weight. I went from being lethargic and obese to being healthy and energetic.

The changes I've seen in Elijah have been just as amazing. He used to be tired and listless a lot. He didn't want to do anything and rarely had the energy to go out and play. He just wanted to sit around and play computer games or watch videos. He rarely sits at a game now. When the weather is nice (or even when it's not), he is begging to get out and ride his bike or play with the neighbors. He would cry whenever we had to go to the grocery store because it hurt him to walk around. At the age of 5, he still had to sit in a cart or stroller because he could not keep up. Now we can't keep up with him. His physical abilities have really improved on this diet. Besides that, he hasn't had seizures while adhearing to it. The only seizures he's experienced since being diagnosed 19 months ago was when I let him indulge in some processed foods over the New Year holiday. I have read many, many success stories of adults and children who have healed from many diseases (even epilepsy) by this same diet. I also have a personal friend who came off of 6 different seizure meds with raw foods.

I believe what makes this diet work isn't what I am eating, it lies in what I am NOT eating. When you remove the products that your body can't digest well (grains, beans, dairy, etc) and remove the products that cause adverse reactions in our bodies (MSGs, preservatives, sugars, additives, etc) then our bodies can function as they should. We have more energy because our bodies our not using as much of it's energy on digesting hard-to-digest foods. We feel better and think better because our brains aren't dealing with the assault of excitotoxins. We don't suffer from common colds, viruses, and infections anymore because our immune system isn't weakened by improper diet. When our bodies and digestive systems are functioning as they should, then they can absorb vitamins, nutrients, and minerals much better than before.

I hope this answers some of your questions. If you have more, feel free to ask. I actually started a raw food thread, so I may move this conversation over there so it will be easier to find in the future.

Raw Food Diet

Kudos for doing raw foods. I've done a raw food diet for 3 months now (I used to be a raw foodist and backtracked for some odd reason) and absolutely love it. Another way to get some fat and calories is to get either the organic food bars or the pure bars. They are both gluten, soy, and casein free as well as being raw. They are also the only bars to be certified as raw.

I'll do one of those in the morning and in the evening. They help a ton. Add to that raw veggies (still not a lot of fruit as I have some gastro issues). Yet, this diet has helped me to control (along with other things) my seizure symptoms.

There are great sites out there dedicated to raw food. I, personally, would like to see one dedicated to E. and raw food along with other natural therapies (yoga) as it's amazing how they complement one another.---LMT

Hi LMT :) It's great to meet someone else who's used raw foods to control seizures. I'm actually an active member in a couple of online raw food groups and I have a raw blog called Living Fruity where I post health tips and recipes.

I've tried the Pure bars and Lara bars. They taste amazing, but they don't seem to digest well for me. My children love them and have them fairly often. I haven't eaten one in ages. I feel better when I eat less fat anyway. I'll eat a few nuts or some avocado with my salads in the evening, but I don't like to eat nuts or seeds earlier in the day.

It would be great to find a raw forum dedicated to natural healing for E. Who knows, maybe I'll start one some day ;)

Hi Fruity...

Love your blog! I just read through it and had to take down your dip recipe. I love avocados and eat them daily. I agree with you regarding the bars...Pure bars have more nuts and on a tough day I can't eat them. Yet, the Organic Food Bars are something I can eat at any time---they're much different than the other bars.
Dr. Graham's site is fabulous and I really like his 80/10/10 lifestyle. Unfortunately, I have some issues with fruit and had to wait to follow that plan. I spend time on Alissa Cohen's site as I have her book and enjoy it.
By the way, do you have either a vitamix or a blendtec blender? I've been trying to decide which one to get. I'm just finishing Victoria Boutenko's book Green for Life and she's got me convinced about the health benefits of green smoothies.
My daughter loves the veggies and will eat just about anything:woot:. Yet, my son is a different ballgame altogether:paperbag:. Mine are both 7 as well. Props to you for getting your son to LOVE veggies.---LMT

Hi LMT, I am not familiar with the blendtec blender. I bought a Vitamix 10 yrs ago. I was introduced to them by my 86 yr old neighbor who'd had hers for decades. They are versatile and really do hold up to a lot of use.

Love your blog! ....By the way, do you have either a vitamix or a blendtec blender? I've been trying to decide which one to get. I'm just finishing Victoria Boutenko's book Green for Life and she's got me convinced about the health benefits of green smoothies.....---LMT

Thanks, LMT! I hope you enjoy the dip as much as we do.

I'd love to have a vitamix, but have not been able to afford one. Right now I'm using a cuisinart blender and an old GE food processor from the 70s (was given to us by my husband's grandma). A Vitamix is definitely on my wish list. I'm not familiar with the blendtec. I had a friend suggest that as an option as well. We need to invest in a good blender. I'm currently on my 5th blender since we started this lifestyle less than 2 years ago. I work them really hard ;)

Green for Life is one book that I'd love to read. We definitely enjoy green smoothies in our house. Spinach is the green that blends the best with our fruit smoothies. I typically eat almost 2lbs of greens a day. It's a wonderful way to get B vitamins, protein, iron, calcium, and many other nutrients.

I am also one of those who are "In the Raw";
I prefer raw over cooked if all possible; one
of the main reasons why I grow a garden and
have practically "murdered" all my blenders!
LOL!

And speaking of blenders ... I need a new one!

:?

One "cheat code" - it DOES help to put the root
food in the food processor before you put them
into the blender (ie: carrots after you wash and
peel them, unless they are baby carrots which
won't take much ado over it).

I am also a big fan of steaming food.

Moreover ---> people do not realize they can also
make "broths" out of these things - like one Food
Network or PBS Cook had said long time ago, "Cook
them suckers out" where all the nutrients are out
and into the pot, and now you have veggie broth;
and then you boil it until it becomes concentrated.

You can actually "divide" these into batches into
glass jars; if you have a pressure cooker and know
how to seal them, that's wonderful - but I freeze
mine in the ice cube trays and then put them into
containers so I take out what I need - it's great for
stuffing them inside of - Chicken, Turkey, or even
crushing them and putting them on top of fish for
example...

In addition - when it comes to fruits, it does pay
to buy bulk and work out all the efforts and freeze
them (and YES, use real sugar, you do not need to
use a lot). One of my favorites is MANGO!

I have a Mango Tree - and the things that I do
with Mango - from puree to even juicing them, and
surprisingly, I do buy pure vanilla ice cream, and you'll
be surprise that ice cream doubles up in batch when
you add the Mangos to it (you get Mango Ice Cream)
or even more so - toss Bananas in it and you'll have
Mango-Banana Ice Cream! Wonderful thing to have on
a summer day! (I shy away from "imitation" Ice Creams).

Here's another trick with Fruit Juices - Make Popsicles,
not only will you save $$ in the long run but you will also
know you're getting the most purest form of fruit juice
sans all the additives and gunk - and while I will admit,
depending on the fruit, I do add a small amount of sugar
unlike what they do to packages bought at stores.

I can't stand salt or sugar to the overload (except southern
ice tea - you can't take that southern out of me in that
part there).

One of the keen tricks here, while people believes this to
be a major PITA - but did you know you can actually
throw in GREEN BEANS in fruit puree?

:huh:

As Gomer Pyle would say ... "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!"

You'll be in a treat on this one - while you might have
'second thoughts about this one', just wait until you
try it.

One of my highest recommendations is adding Wheat Germ
or Barley (if you are not on the gluten diet), I find it works
wonderful during the spring summer, but such it is difficult
for me to locate and find during fall/winter, since they
become so costly! Their shelf lives are not very good once
it is opened and even though it does not say, I recommend
you put it in the freezer to keep it fresh. A tablespoon per
16 oz can last quite a long ways; but I will add - it is
expensive for the purest form.

I would be interested in seeing what Zoe would have to
remark in this area of Wheat Germ / Barley. My seizures
are actually DOWN during this time frame.

In addition - when it comes to fruits, it does pay
to buy bulk and work out all the efforts and freeze
them...

I have a Mango Tree - and the things that I do
with Mango...

or Barley (if you are not on the gluten diet)...

I buy my fruit in bulk, especially bananas. I bought 80 lbs yesterday. I was ecstatic to get them for $14 total. :banana: I freeze extra for yummy fruit smoothies, sorbets, or parfaits. I don't use any sugar when freezing or eating. I find that fruit is sweet enough as long as it has ripened properly. I also bought 24 lbs of organic red delicious apples for $8 last Saturday. :woot: I search for deals and I'm now on friendly terms with my local produce manager.

I absolutely LOVE mango. It is one of my favorite fruits. I could only dream of having my own Mango tree!!! :rolleyes:

My family is gluten free, so I don't use wheat germ or barley.

I have a vita-mix (highly recommend it) and make myself fresh vegetable and fruit smoothies fairly often. I do seem to have problems with intestinal bloating and gas (sorry) when I eat too much of it. Does this go away with time?

I have a vita-mix (highly recommend it) and make myself fresh vegetable and fruit smoothies fairly often. I do seem to have problems with intestinal bloating and gas (sorry) when I eat too much of it. Does this go away with time?

Why not look closely at what foods you are putting in the vitamix and whether one of them might be causing the gas. As with beans, I think if you start slowly, not too much at once, your body will be able to adapt to larger doses when you pace the way you add them.

All this talk is inspiring me to look at including more raw foods in my diet, very little of that now. Looks like it may help with chronic inflammation and GI distress.
:mrt:

[SIZE="3

or Barley (if you are not on the gluten diet), I find it works
wonderful during the spring summer, but such it is difficult
for me to locate and find during fall/winter, since they
become so costly! Their shelf lives are not very good once
it is opened and even though it does not say, I recommend
you put it in the freezer to keep it fresh. A tablespoon per
16 oz can last quite a long ways; but I will add - it is
expensive for the purest form.

I would be interested in seeing what Zoe would have to
remark in this area of Wheat Germ / Barley. My seizures
are actually DOWN during this time frame.[/SIZE]

You raise another good point, Sharon.
Look into the gluten content of wheat germ and barley. i like them both and barley tea is good for digestion. I'm off of them now to keep with my gluten free diet and would like to add them in again if possible.

How about detox???

I find that at least once a month my body goes through a mini detox....gas, bloating. Let's face it we are putting "foreign" substances in to control seizures and the body has a "curious" way of yelling at you.
That being said, I've found that the longer I'm raw the less detox I go through:woot:. I'm completely without gluten, soy, etc. and just on fruits, veggies, and some (albeit very few) nuts. It takes some getting used to, but it is well worth the time and effort!---LMT

BTW--If anyone has a great raw recipe, let me know. I'd love to try!

Improper food combining will cause the foods to ferment in your gut, causing gas. I'm not saying that this is what it is, but you may want to check into it. You could read about food combining and look at a chart here. I have to be careful when making smoothies, or the wrong combination will leave me bloated and gassy.

Beans ... Beans ... Beans - how to take the GAS out of them

Let me explain something about BEANS here:

You CAN eat BEANS if you know how to cook
them properly (this is one of the MOST biggest
mistake people make!) This is why I cannot
stand canned beans ...

(the only exceptions EXCLUDED are lentils
and peas - frozen or dried - they are quick
cooking and nary a gassy product unless you
plan on eating 20 pounds of this stuff in one
sitting?)

All others - DRIED:

When you wash them ... and get the "floaters"
out and lift the colander and all the tiny rocks
and sand will go down the drain.

THEN transfer over to the pot - add water until
it just COVERS the beans (do not fill it all the
way up) - put lid on it - bring it up to a boil,
then turn heat DOWN - and let it simmer for a
half hour, then turn heat off and fill it up to
3/4th full (depends on the beans - if large,
like chick peas aka garbanzos or Lima Beans;
or tough ones like Northern (yes those are
tough beans) - you want to fill it up with at
least 3/4th full - NEVER EVER add salt, and
always do this like at least around 10:00 PM,
except for Chick Peas / Garbanzos - do that
around 7:00 PM)

Then let it sit overnight.

THEN - bring it up to a boil, turn heat DOWN
to simmer for half hour and STOP. Then drain
only HALF of the water OUT. And add broth
of what you are going to use (chicken broth
works great with ham, lamb, chicken; while
beef & veggie broth works best with beef)
NEVER EVER add tomatoes during the cooking
process! These are the "last hour/half hour of the
cooking phase" - this is what and why it makes
beans so "gassy" - it's the tomatoes. You
never want to add Potatoes. (Hold that train
of thought for another type of beans which
will follow below)

Then after you add whatever BONES you
add into the pot and seasoning, only add
salt sparingly, maybe just a small palm full
and that is it. Stop! Let it simmer all day
in a crock pot or slow cooker if you have one
or over the stove. Only stir it 2 or 3 times
during the whole entire process.

NOW Onions are "gassy", so keep this to
the "minimum" - I only use 1 medium Onion
QUARTERED - that is it. I use at least 3 or
4 Bay leaves (make sure you throw those
out) - or you can make your own Herbs
de Providence, or whatever seasonings
you prefer. If you ever use Leeks - HOLD
that off - but it is strongly recommended
to go ahead and cut them up and put into
colander and let it soak in water in a bowl
and put in refrigerator - all the sand will
automatically sink to the bottom (but
remember to cover it with foil or saran
wrap unless you absolutely adore a nice
smelling onion refrigerator!)

:D

While it's cooking - half way through it,
NOW add the onions and garlic (Garlic is
also gassy - but it is wise to smash it down
or use the powdered type if you prefer).

If the meat has already fallen off the bones,
no worries, ignore it. If it needs more broth
and you have it, add more, or just add water.
And if you are using LEEKS - now is the time
to add the leeks.

At the LAST hour of cooking if fresh tomatoes,
add that, if canned tomatoes - add that at
the last HALF hour of cooking.

There is your soup and you won't be gassy!

PS: don't forget the cornbread!

;)

==========================

Now for String Beans, Pole Beans, Snap Beans,
etc - it is strongly recommended to SNAP the ends
(not cut) and peel the strings off and then slice
in half or cut with scissors.

There is such thing as "Turkey Bacon" and it
tastes just like Bacon - the real thing!

First, add the bacon - cook it over a skillet or
microwave it until it is partially wilted but not
fully cooked and cut that into chunks and toss
in BOTTOM of slow cooker, crock pot, or
a big pot (depending on how much beans you
plan on cooking). Add finely chopped onions,
and believe it or not, some Red Pepper sparingly,
and a palm full of salt and add water until it
hardly covers the beans. Let it simmer at least
5 hours! (Sorry folks, the smell is going to be
so tempting that you are going to want to
keep sampling!)

The longer you cook it, the better it is, it's
great for those who works all day, so throw
in a Ham Hock or a Ham bone if you want,
and keep the crock pot or slow cooker on
low and go to work!

The length of time you cook it removes the
Royal Gassy-ness OUT of the beans and you
get the nutrients that you need! And the
bonus is - if you take that broth - and let it
sit over night in the refrigerator you can skim
off the fat and viola - you have a nutrient rich
bean broth that you can use for variety reasons,
you can even use it in lieu of water in rice,
and toss in some beans with your rice with a little
olive oil and butter - you'll be surprised and kids
love it!

======================

PS: my ex misses my beans badly! LOL!

======================

For those who adores Collard Greens / Turnip Greens,
the same application applies on the Green Beans
method above, the only thing is, just add a little
more Red Pepper for a little kick if you want to be
"southern" if you can handle it - the truth is, those
Red Peppers actually "loose" their punch (heat)
while cooking but yet maintains their flavoring.
(I use a lot because I can tolerate the heat, but
peppers are seizure provocation to some people,
if it is to you - don't use it, revert to black pepper
or black & white pepper instead).

=======================

The ONLY time to add Salt, I recommend is at
the serving table where everyone can add salt to
their desire. I prefer mine naturally.

=======================

NOW - for those who wishes to add potatoes to
the above Green Beans to the slow cooker, stick
with the small potatoes - due to the starchy
factor - all because it will sustain the Royal Gas
PITA Factor - the very thing you want to avoid.

Or you can take the potatoes and cut them into
at least 3/4" in size but no bigger than that, and
keep it to the minimum. If you have 6 pounds of
Green Beans in the pot - only use 2 Medium Sized
potatoes or 1 large Idaho Baking potato cut up.
I only add one medium Onion chopped in food
processor and 2 cloves of garlic - that is it.

Hope these tips and tricks help!

:D

Last edited:
There is enough evidence to show that the more food is cooked, the more difficult it is to digest and metabolize. The higher the temperature that food is cooked, the longer it stays in the gut. This makes it more difficult for the food to absorb and work on a cellular level where it needs to work.

When the food cannot work at the cellular level, the cells can become deficient and/or toxic. This leads to deficiency and toxicity of the whole body making the body less able to function optimally. All food deteriorates during commercial food processing and during storage. Three different things happen to food that is overcooked or over-processed:
1. Destruction of essential amino acids.
2. Decrease in digestibility.
3. Production of anti-nutritional and toxic compounds.

http://ahha.org/articles.asp?Id=2

This is an excellent article RobinN!!! Thanks for sharing it here :) I especially liked the quote at the end:

God made food for health. Man made food for shelf life, beauty and profit, and not necessarily in that order.

Fabulous Article

Can always count on you, Robin, to find a great article to back up what we feel is right:clap:.---LMT

Can always count on you, Robin, to find a great article to back up what we feel is right:clap:.---LMT

Agreed!! Thanks Robin!:clap::pop::woot::mrt:

Back
Top Bottom