Drinking With Seizures & On Keppra?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I've never been one to get drunk. I like a glass of wine once or twice a week. I can only have one. I get way too sleepy because of the Keppra. I also put an ice cube in my white wine. I've been doing that for years, since before all the medications . It helps keep it cold, it dilutes it so it doesn't hit me as fast and it makes it last longer.

I had lots of seizure activity when drinking for years (pre-diagnosis) and thought it was just being drunk. But lots of LSD was bad for that too. Now I don't touch the stuff. I am also in recovery if this sounds slanted. But also i found myself curious the other day if pot would help me now. Its been 17 years? So maybe i would be nicer this time. But with my brain injury and all i believe i can not afford to loose any more brain cells. And that shit always made me paranoid big time.

i have 3 to 4 beers a day.. and i noticed if i dont drink at all i end up getting seizures.. its weird! =-0

There's a million things you can do to make sure you can have a drink, but if you're too sensitive, there might be nothing you can do. However, if you're on the edge of being sensitive what I do is to make sure I don't drink alcohols that might act as uppers, which I find tend to bring me closer to seizure, hence stay away from Gin and Tequila (natural uppers, serious stimulants). I also really stay away from sugary drinks (any mixed anything really)! That messes me up completely.

Wine (without sulphites especially, or natural ones only) and vodka (triple distilled or through your brita filter) keeps me at bay, I stay hydrated (vodka sodas, hydrates while you dehydrate) and well fed, make sure not to miss your meds, take them many hours befor and later after your drinks, if you can split your nightly intake in half I suggest you take half before drinking and half after.

I also have been experimenting with high doses of B12 (you should always take this), Magnesium (most seizure meds reduce the intake of magnesium, you should take it either way), C (lessens the morning impact of alcohol), and D (1000 UIs per 25lbs of weight), check your blood test if you go over 4000UIs , which I find really help my general focus and oddly enough, makes it that alcohol impacts me less.

I was trying out different types of positively charge charcoal to lessen the impact of alcohol but I found that charcoal absorbs medication too, that's dangerous, especially women on the pill. I noticed that when I exercise a lot, I'm virtually not impacted by alcohol too.

I have generalized tonic clonic seizures, in the left temporal lobe, in the speech part, which makes it that when I notice that I don't take my meds, say twice in a row, I'll notice that my speech gets slurred. When I notice that it comes up when I'm drinking, I'll just go home and drink water and fall asleep instead of trying to push throughout the night.

I very rarely have seizures though, and I only take 400 mg of CR Tegretol, and I'm switching to Keppra (in the coming weeks actually), and the reason why I'm switching to Keppra is because it's apparently much better for my mental capacity and it is supposed to impact you dramatically less when you drink (doctor's words). Doing all the things I do above will certainly help.

Contrary to what the above might seem, I don't drink that much, say 3-4 glasses of wine or drinks 3 or so times a week (might seem like a lot to others I suppose). I think it's essential if you're always attending cocktails or social events, it's almost unavoidable in my life. I did stop drinking for almost 2 months (a tonic clonic nearly killed me, I hadn't drank in a bit when the seizure happened, I doubt it's related), and I realize very quickly that I don't need to drink to have fun, but I certainly socialize less actively.

I'm certainly not a health professional hence I'd be very careful to follow any of my experiments, but it does work for me when I follow the above.

I just wouldn't take a drink on the drugs I used to and got drunk and sick on 1 bottle lol
Now I hate drink!

Is there a reason why you haven't switched completely to Keppra and stayed on Tegretol?

Back
Top Bottom