Epilepsy and Handwriting

Epilepsy and Handwriting

• AEDs has improved my handwriting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Surgery / VNS with or without AEDs have improved my handwriting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

just out of curiosity what medications do you guys think would most likely cause problems in handwriting or drawing?

I would think any med that effects perception or coordination would also effect handwriting. I think that's why mine is so bad (from tegretol)

I worked as a mechanical, electrical and plumbing designer and penmenship is something important, and in those industry you can tell a good designer by there print, ie: if they have been around the block. I could tell before I was laid off of work, when I must leave because I could not write and or type on the keyboard, I would lose control... I don't write much any more but I do notice a big difference in my handwritting.

Evil Lefties?

Yeah, I remember those times. We were told that if we were left handed, we were evil. Supposedly, our epilepsy proved it. Even tho' I am a righty, I remember my mom screaming at me if I picked up anything with my left hand.
(Actually, I switched back and forth). She yelled at me and said it is a good thing I 'finally' picked something up and use my right hand, cuz then I wasn't going to hell.
Looking back, I had all the hell I could handle. While every so often, I try to do something left handed, those painful memories come back, and I begin hurting.

Rats, now I am determined to try my left hand more. After all, How else do we type, except for using our left hand.

Hi Shelley

I am left handed, is that why when we move our mouse, by our left hand. It is the cursor that shows up on the screen. I never thought of that before. We are still being cursed, by the cursor. It must have been a left handed person who invented the mouse and the cursor.

I was never told I was going to hell, though. That must bring some painful memories back. I am truly sorry, you had to go through that.

matchu,

If you are able to use both hands, you are using your left and right part of your brain. You are ambidextrous.

Last edited:
cool, I do art with both hands as well. The oracle is here. lol

That is probably why you are so good at what you do. However, left handed people are also great at what they do. The same as for right handed people.

I looked up oracle in the dictionary: oracle comes from orare, to speak. Meaning 1. a person (as a priestess of ancient Greece) through whom a deity is to speak.

I did not know you believed that a deity is speaking to you. lol

Hi Shelley

I was not wrong. You are very intelligent. A left or right handness means nothing as far as intelligence. That is my point. The mouse inventor was very intelligent and brilliant.

Yeppers

He was. Now I'm off to work where I set the mouse to lefty.:rock:

Yeah, I remember those times. We were told that if we were left handed, we were evil. Supposedly, our epilepsy proved it. Even tho' I am a righty, I remember my mom screaming at me if I picked up anything with my left hand.
(Actually, I switched back and forth). She yelled at me and said it is a good thing I 'finally' picked something up and use my right hand, cuz then I wasn't going to hell.
Looking back, I had all the hell I could handle. While every so often, I try to do something left handed, those painful memories come back, and I begin hurting.

Rats, now I am determined to try my left hand more. After all, How else do we type, except for using our left hand.

I am known as "Southie" - it is my nickname, and
it has nothing to do with "Boston", but rather being
"southpaw" aka "lefty or left-handed" as well as
being a southerner.

In a somewhat similar situation as yours, but it was
a Private Pre-Kindergartner Catholic School (this was
decades ago, before segregation was enforced) - while
it was "okay" for boys to use left hands, but surely it
was not so with girls. I was forced to write with my
right hand. Obviously due to this invocation, I have
the abilities to write with both hands as well as using
both hands - I am not a true ambidextrous.

Unfortunately, this had created some havoc with the
neuropsych testings. While it's a handy thing to be
able to use both stimulatory; however, it can make
things complicated when it comes across with dealing
with Neuroscience. For as the Epileptologist had told
me bluntly, he would rather that I had been left or
right without any of the abilities to use both.

In the natural realm, I use my left more than right;
which is relatively easy to see, considering I had a
rotor cuff surgery performed on my left shoulder.
(Being ambidextrous in sports is a blessing to your
team and a curse to the other team.)

However, I am "crippled" when it comes to writing,
while I can write with both hands; I become easily
confused. I am "crippled" when it comes to Medical
Personnel asking me questions to perform tasks
with this specific hand and my brain does not know
which hand is which.

Example: If a Neurologist asks, "Please raise your
"Right" hand." I would be completely lost! Honest!
I have lost count of how many times Medical Doctors
or Nurses or even Neuropsychologists have moved
into that realm dealing with my hands or even feet.
My brain goes "dead" - it has no knowledge of which
hand is right or which foot is left. It's embarrassing
to me because I have to pause and think, that is, if
I can - I would become in dire mass confusion in
this position.

The reason why I implied the word "crippled" is all
because it is "dangerous" for me; I had nearly been
arrested a couple of times in the past when an Officer
who presumed me to be "drunk" when I was not (had
seizure, then was in postictal state) - then was actually
performing the traditional alcoholic procedures per
regulations (and I am allergic to alcohol!) and mind
you - I flunked! It was a good thing when the Officer
summoned for a back-up and the other Officer
recognized who I was and had me to the Emergency
Room after scolding the fellow Officer. I mean I carry
an ID card on me all the time. (Which I learned very
early-on that having an ID card meant nothing to them
in those days - for "Epileptic" people, there was such
a strong stigma attached in those days; I've had my
anti-convulsants taken away - which you know it today
as anti-epileptic drugs. Times have changed.)

Nonetheless, I still stumble on this area and I try
to joke my way around by clowning around because
I am just too embarrassed not knowing which is my
right or left. I've had people give me tons of suggestions
while they're all awesome, but try to tell my brain that
is another story! My brain somehow just refuses to
grasp the concept that "human beings have a right
hand and a left hand as well as a right foot and a
left foot!" (Ok, I am ready now for some wisecracks
and banterings as usual... Give it your best shot!)

:?

don't know if it's because of the epilepsy or not though but even i find it hard to read!

Hi tabbycat,
You are having problems with reading on the internet? It might be you are photosensitve to the computer. If you are, try reading with polarized sun glasses. You can get them cheap at WalMart. Wether you are right handed or left handed has nothing to do with your epilepsy.

people complain but I think it's more because I'm a lefty and I "don't hold a pen/pencil the 'right' " but that's just me.

tremor has made my handwriting hard to read.,My bank asked me to re-endorse a check as my signature was illegible.Not to mention I have been using that bank for ages.Well I am happy they are so careful.

Hi libbyl

That is good that your bank adjusted it so you can still write checks. I have tremors, too, I am on Mysoline for it.
Ruth

we have to help and support each other---today I needed help to get from one place to another by car---after several people "offered their services" ---well I am still at square one.I hate having to depend on others for rides,etc...it really makes my situation so difficult.

Back
Top Bottom