Has anyone actually done the G.A.R.D. diet?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pain

I could not really give you an answer to that question. Im trying to be free of the same things, but am a hard time to. As long as im not around it, then I have no problem with it. I also have a nagging head ach and also a sudden sharp head ach. I can not yet say or pinpoint if they have anything to do with the food that I eat.

I had found the GARD diet at dogtorj site a month or so ago when looking for glutamate information. I have tried to follow some of it but having a hard time giving up the legumes and seeds as I use them for magnesium in my diet. In my searching last night for support groups it seemed this group might be my best help although I found some other places to look.

support

Hi,

I already know what foods contain glutamate. Almost all the processed foods. So thats out. Going out to eat is difficult to do, since you really dont know what they used in seasonings, or sauces. I mainly cook at home.

I am not eating processed foods except for things like rice cakes and peanut butter. I stopped eating salad dressing, baked beans, spaghetti sauce and like a couple months ago. I am fairly aware of what contains MSG and its cousins but it is the free glutamates that occur naturally I am now trying to lessen by food choice.

My diet is fairly simple and no eating out lately.

foods

peanutbutter contains alot of natural glutamic acid, doesnt it? Are you also avoiding soy, corn, dairy, beans, flour?

By the food choices, I ead all veggies except corn and wheat. I eat all fruits.

Im assuming you have epilepsy too?

no epilepsy but there appears to be some nerve damage

peanuts and nuts and seeds have a lot of natural glutamates - I wish I could find an extensive chart of it and know what is free and what is bound -

I have to try to give up peanut butter and pumpkin seeds for a while which will be hard - I am working on giving up beans and peas and that is hard as peas are a staple for us

but no wheat, no corn except for fillers in meds, no prewashed salads as I wasn't sure it wasn't making my mouth symptoms worse, and lots more restrictions already in place

Thanks.

I was aware of that information already. That chart isn't very extensive.

no results yet

im starting to feel that this GARD diet isnt worth doing. Its also very difficult to do. No change in seiz. number yet. so any support you can give me?

How long have you been on it? It can take a few months as the body adjusts.

how long on GARD diet

I dont remember when I started the diet, probably october last year. Also, what do you eat when others around eat the forbidden foods?

possible cross contamination

hey,

I read on some of the grain packages that some have written, on the bottom of it, that it is processed on equipment or facility that also processes gluten grains, dairy, nut, or corn products.

Well, then what do you say about that? Should I worry about that , when on the GARD diet?

Another thing, Is oatmeal gluten free?

Im loosing weight. I was 140 pounds, and am now 120 pounds. I have been on this way of eating since about september of last year. Should I get worried?

Im eating right, excersize by walking my dog 1/2 hr everyday, and avoiding the forbidden foods. Maybe im not eating enouph protein. Someone tell me.

What I eat, is oatmeal in morning, grains, vegetables, and fish two times a week, fruit for snack, and dessert for dessert 1x week. I dont like much meat. Im now trying to eat some eggs every other day in morning to try to get more protein. Thanks.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Unless you are allergic to gluten (or dairy, nut or corn products) or have celiac disease, you don't need to worry about cross-contamination. The amount of gluten is too small to affect your gluten-free diet. Oatmeal is gluten-free, but may also be exposed to some cross-contamination during processing. If you aren't sure if you might be sensitive, try a very small portion and see how you feel.

As far as weight loss goes, if you are otherwise healthy, the weight loss is due to not getting enough calories (regardless of whether those calories are from protein or something else). Do a calorie-count on what you are eating on a daily basis -- if it comes in low for your height/age/metabolism, etc. then you just need to up your calories. If you are getting plenty of calories, then check with your doctor to see if something else might be going on. If your diet is currently low in protein, you might consider supplementing with a B-complex vitamin, and/or by adding more protein-rich foods to your diet. Have you tried quinoa? It's grain-like (it seems like barley or rice) but it's actually a seed relate to spinach, and it's high in protein.

I want to change my diet, in hopes it will help (need to lose weight too.) I have started soy yogurt and milk goats milk was good too. I need to know what is allowed and what is not. I have tired to look into the gerd and ketogenic diets but can not find much information. I have also read to drink distilled water, not tap nor spring. Most breads and cerals have to many grains in them. Any help would be great. THANXS:ponder:

Charwa,

The ketogenic diet is pretty tough for adults (imagine a diet of bacon and mayonnaise), but the GARD is more do-able. Here's a good place for info about it http://dogtorj.com/?page_id=533

You might want to look into the MAD (Modified Atkins Diet) --- it also can help.

This thread has got me googling and the GARD seems to me to be the same thing as a Paleo diet. This is great because that is the way I already eat.
To Nakamova: a keto diet is not all mayo and bacon, seriously. If you are following a paleo keto protocol, both of those would be off the table unless you made your own mayo with good oils and had a good source of non-sugar cured bacon.

I've been looking at both GARD and paleo, and please correct me if I am wrong, but are they both high (or semi-high) in protein/meat consumption? I personally don't like meat and very rarely eat it-- I am the queen of a PBJ. I would like to try this or at least look into it and I would was just wondering if someone more knowledgeable could give me some of their own personal input in either diet.

Thanks!

That is a popular misconception about paleo, that it involves huge slabs of dead animals at every meal. You do need to get adequate protein but if you take in excess protein your body will only convert it to sugar and knock you out of ketosis (a process called gluconeogenesis).

The problem with the PB&J would be the bread and the sugar in the J.

Back
Top Bottom