Hot or Cold Weather / Climate - Seizure triggers?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I feel the need for fresh air at night to ameliorate nocturnal seizures. Temperature isn't that much of a factor as long as I can get air.

Hi Folks,

Every yr. when fall starts the seizures increase and then I have even more in the winter. According to my Epileptologist it's do to the lack of serotonin in the fall and winter and that's what's triggering the seizures. My Dr. calls them "seasonal seizure" because I have a lot in the fall and winter but very few in the spring and summer. Wishing all of you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Porkette,
I find that interesting b/c my seizures (although mostly controlled) mostly occur in the summer.
IN MY CASE most of my medication is lost through perspiration.(I perspire heavy on my head and abdomon due to another condition I have)
This affects the seizure threshold and the "unbound balance" (amount of medication actually in the blood stream v/s the amount actually taken)

Randy

Hi Ranman,

I'm sorry to here that you have more seizures do to perspiration. You may want
to try cold water therapy like I had to do when I was in a medical study. They found
that if I took my temperature 3 times a day at the same time along with any time I
felt a seizure coming my temperature was higher and I would have a seizure. I then
had to put cold water on my face and the back of my neck 3 times a day along with
any warning of a seizure and it reduced my seizures because it calmed the neurons
down stopping the seizures.
My Epileptologist also told me that a lack of serotonin could trigger seizures for me
and I've had to deal with epilepsy for 44 yrs. and every fall and winter I have more seizures. I guess you can say I'm a weird one : ) Wishing you only the best of luck
and May God Bless You!

Sue

Man, You guys live where it's hot! I would be having seizures all the time in the heat. But the rain here in Washington state we just deal with the rain. Hi RanMan. I have had Epilepsy for 41 years. And I have a son who has epilepsy to. Along with a teenage attitude. LOL

Every yr. when fall starts the seizures increase and then I have even more in the winter. According to my Epileptologist it's do to the lack of serotonin in the fall and winter and that's what's triggering the seizures. My Dr. calls them "seasonal seizure".
Interesting. Maybe this is one of the reasons why my seizures have improved since moving to Hawaii. The seasonal variations in temp and daylight hours are not as extreme this close to the equator.

Perhaps you could get your insurance to pay for a mid winter trip to the islands, purely for medicinal purposes of course ;)

Hi there,

For some reason I feel much better in the air conditioning vs. the hot summer sun. I can tell a difference in my anxiety and overall feeling in general. Most of my seizures have happened in 60+ degree weather; it's usually in spring and summer. Not so much in the winter . . .

Also, I've noticed I feel better when it's sunny out vs. a front moving through. Maybe it has something to do with pressure. It's a possibility as silly as it sounds. When a front moves through and it's stormy all of a sudden, I sometimes think I'm getting auras or my anxiety will increase somewhat.

I've talked to ppl who say the systems of weather and fronts cause them to have seizures or cause them to have some sort of "neur o - attack". I have a friend with epilepsy as well, and she claims winter is her worst season for seizures.

It's interesting that weather can effect epilepsy, and it's very possible it could. Not unless it's all happenstance, which I somehow doubt.

I've found that a lot of people with seizures come from hot area's. I'll take cold weather anytime as I do better in it. Now if it's really hot I usually do bad seizure wise. So I love the winter because of it.

Since I live in Phoenix AZ. Heat better not cause mine!
Really temperature seems to make no difference to me.

Heat seems to cause some to have terrible seizures.
Others it doesn't. Assume it's just how they are made.

I wish I knew what caused mine. Temperature/weather has no effect--it doesn't matter how hot or cold it is.

I live in a tropical climate. Hot days are my worst seizure days. I try to stay in AC or at the very least in front of a fan of I have no other option. I'm not sure if it's the heat or the fatigue heat causes, but either way UGH

Back
Top Bottom