Hot or Cold Weather / Climate - Seizure triggers?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brain

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
This Poll is Open Forum and Public; I notice the
original poll (which was one of CWE's earliest Polls)
apparently vanished and most likely due to the change
of servers that CWE has progressed - because
CWE HAS GROWN!

:tup:

HERE WAS THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:

Does Hot Weather or Cold Weather trigger seizures?

You are more than welcomed to post and make comments,
and don't forget to put in your vote! Every vote counts!

So once again ... we've restored one of the earliest polls
and it's all BRAND NEW, if you voted before - that's OKAY,
you can vote again - for we are starting this all over again
and giving our newcomers and new friends on the block an
opportunity to vote some of the old favorites from the early
days.

We are being watched....

This poll will be closely observed and monitored! As
this has been a "hot issue" and of debate! Not by "US" but by
Researchers, Medical Professions, Neuroscience, etc ...

;)

Hot weather has always been a problem for me, even before my seizures. But a sight change in temperature can also effect me. IE: I'm sitting comfortable in a room, and a light cool breeze hits me. That could trigger a seizure, but doesn't always. If it was possible I'd love to have a constant temperature between 40 to 60 degrees year round. Some rain occasionally would be fine, but no snow at all.

Hi everyone.

Have you noticed that most seizures or psycotic episodes seem to happen in the Fall? It's due to lack of sunlight.

If you think about it ~ the sun and moon control the tides and other weather conditions and your body consists mostly of water, isn't it only logical that it would effect your body, IE: seizures and bipolar disorder. All my seizures and/or auras have been in the Fall.

Randy
diagnosed with epilepsy and Ulcerative Colitis in 1979
- current meds are:

275mg dilantin/day
120mg pheonobarb/day
3,000mg Mesasol/day

When I had my semi-annual appt with my neorologist last summer, I mentioned that this extreme heat that we were having at the time was causing me to perspire more than usual and have more auras and post ictal feelings.

I found his response very interesting. He said that because of all the very hot weather we were having and all the perspiation, it can have a negative effect on your meds and cause you to act like you're drunk because you lose so much of your medication though your perspiration (I sweat ALOT) bringing your blood syrum level down. If my medication level were to be increased, the meds could go toxic in my system causing a whole new set of problems. also increased because I also take meds for ulcerative colitis. Before he changes any of my meds he ordered a special type of blood test that most labs won't do because it's so expensive, "Blood Syrum Unbound Fraction" to see how much of my medication is being lost through perspiration. I'm not totally sure but I think he explained that it shows how much of the medication is actually in the blood and how much is being stored, that's the "unbound fraction". It's a very rare type of test and the tech. that took my blood has never seen this done before. In my 28 yrs. with epilepsy, I've never heard of this before and find it quite interesting. I always knew that you lost some of your medication though perspiration, but not that much, (maybe it's because I perspire more than most people).

Randy

Diagnosed with epilepsy and ulcerative colitis in 1979,
Been on meds ever since.

275mg-dilantin/day
120mg-pheonobarb/day
3,000mg-Mesasol/day

Well in Washington state it is mostly cool. So all of a sudden we get a warm day to us 75 to 80%. Not really that hot. We drink lots of water. Don't drive. So my son and I spent the whole weekend outside. We both ended up having seizures. I feel all icky. He went to school late this morning because he was having myoclonics.

I have

never noticed any particular time of year that I have more seizures than another. I have had them at all different times of year. My body just doesn't care. Mine are all nocturnal--I'm usually in bed, sound asleep. Some nights totally buried under the covers, some nights without covers when it's too hot, so it doesn't matter....

I wish there were a pattern.........

Hot weather and seizures

I think hot weather + caffeine can trigger seizures.

YES ~ That is a big trigger for a lot of us.
I had that just yesterday but in my case it was the sun and coffee withdrawal.

Randy

See for me, and this is like clockwork, It is Fall and Spring when I have my seizures. The change in the climate and my sinuses acting up make me most vunerable. In fact I would say 90% of all my seizures are during this transition from warm to cold and cold to warm. Like that first day in September that is gray and chilly, that messes with me bad, and I have to take it easy.

When I lived in Floriday I had 2 seizures in over 3 years, and both of those were drinking/late night induced. The instant, and I mean, the instant I moved back to Illinois, my seizure frequency went through the roof. Now I average 2 grand mal's a year during this time. Of course it is usually coupled with late nights or high amounts of stress.

But for sure, season transition is a huge factor for me. Once I get stable in a season, I seem to be alright, however still more proan in the late fall and winter compared to summer.

It would be interesting if I moved back to someplace warm if my seizure rate would drop. I have thought about that.

Triathlon4life

Have you ever noticed that some seizures can be triggered by season changes (changes in the amount of sunlight).

In my own case, I've noticed that over the past 28 yrs, all my GM or pettit mal seizures happened in October.

Consider this ~ All tides and ocean waves are partially controlled by the sun and/or the moon. The human body is composed mostly of water so it only seems logical that the sun (or moon) will have at least some effect on your brain (especially those with a psycotic condition like epilepsy, bipolar, schitzophrania, etc)

Randy

Please do not take any offence to my question but it is my dog that suffers from seizers and I have noticed more and more siezures now that the weather is colder. It is the only real change in his life. He averages 2 a day now. I am interested in knowing if there is any routines that helps in lessing them in humans. It is getting colder in India everyday and I am very worried about him.

Hi, my name is Teresa. I have seizures more from stress and heat.I have seen dogs have different animals have seizures , it is so sad. I am sorry for for you and your doggy.Does he take any meds. I would try to keep him at an even temperature.

Okay, I don't think i really have a climate trigger. my climate is pretty extreme all year round. but i do know o a few times i had seizures from being way too hot and dehydrated (heat stroke?) and a few from being so cold. The last time I was cold *Jan 1st or 2nd can't remember, those too merge currently in my brain* I was snowmobiling and got so cold my lips turned blue and I completely stopped shivering. within a minute of the shivers stopping i had a T/C.

so who knows...

Thanks everyone. I am going to look into the dehydration. It is very cold here and I forget how dry the cold can be. As for meds... its actually difficult to get seizure medications for dogs in india but I will ask my vet to look into it. I know that worms causes seizures in dogs frequently but he has been dewormed. Also tick can also cause them. But again he is tick-free. Anyway. Thanks for the quick replies.

I never noticed any change in seizure pattern due to seasons. The only problem I had was a med and sunlight combination, and I don't think the heat helped either.
When I was taking Carbatrol to much sunlight seemed to be a trigger.
Maybee it's possible others have the same kind of problem' weather plus med trigger. Just a thought.

Duke

Given the strong reactions in here, it would seem logical for public transportation companies to provide shelter and shading at all highly used bus stops.

I didn't vote because my partner isn't diagnosed E, but he's discovered when we have a crackling cold day and he goes outside, he will get a lot of spells where he gets strong whiffs of some awful, awful odour.

Topamax is one that I have heard a lot of animals taking. But also make sure his food is good.Full of vitamens.

Back
Top Bottom