Issues with meds and scared to rejoin the workforce.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Beanogirl

New
Reaction score
I have focal seizures. I've been on lamictal, Keppra and now trileptal. Lamictal worked but I had a few break through auras, would drop things all the time and couldn't remember words or they would come out wrong. I also had no memory. It gave me horrible acne. I tried every medication the dermatologist gave me and nothing worked. My doctor switched me to Keppra. I had horrible mood swings. I was mean. I have 3 young kids and it wasn't fair to them to have a mom that yells all the time. Trileptal is working but I'm a zombie. I sleep all day. I have no memory. I forget my phone number, my kids birthdays. I'm constipated and just not living my life to the fullest. I tried to talk to my dr. She lowered my dose but no change. Now the kicker. I have been a stay at home mom for 7 years. My husband is laid off and I need to go back to work. Just thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach. I have horrible anxiety, always have. I can't remember simple things. I have a hard time organizing my thoughts now. I almost feel like someone suffering from ADD. I'm scared and I don't think I can do it. I'm so depressed. I just feel lost and needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

Shoot! For what its worth, I have medication for clinical depression as well as epilepsy. I think you sound like a great mom and I hope you can find the right med and right amount to work out for you. I have disability for living expenses and meds etc. I am not saying that is right for you but have you been able to explore all your options? Hope it goes smoothly.

I've never been on keppra, but have been on trileptal (d/c'd because of an allergic reaction), and I'm currently on lamotrigine. I hear ya about the cognitive issues. I have the "wording up my mixes" problem lol. Forgetful as all hell. I'm about to have the dosage increased, so I can only imagine how bad my "stupids" are going to get. I can say, it's not as bad as when I was on topiramate (topamax... they call it dopamax for a very good reason!) I forgot what the washing machine was called. "That thing... you know. The thing that washes clothes...?" LOL. I got so much crap from my daughter for that one.

As Janus said, I take a med for clinical depression, too. Along with 3000 mgs. of Keppra and a low dosage of Topomax. Some of the AED's do make the depression worse and some are actually used as mood stabilizers. Have you spoken to your neuro about your anxiety/depression?

Back
Top Bottom