Kepprage: How do you de-stress?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

B6 and Keppra

Hi,

How much B6 do you take? I take 2,000mg of Keppra a day. I take a B Complex supplement. If a little more B6 would help that would be GREAT!!!

I only tried keppra for a few days, my neurologist at the time switched me from klonopin to keppra because he said he thought the klonopin may be causing me to have increased myoclonic seizures, it was a horrible experience I felt extremely moody and was full of road rage, and felt nothing for anyone I might of hurt. Though looking back I wonder if that might have been because I was switched off the klonopin to quickly.

Hi Maureen and Abnorml

I am on 2000mg of Keppra. I am being changed over from Neurontin. I have been on Neurontin for I do not know how many years. My seizures are on the increase, so my neurologist thinks it is time for a change. Neurologists over the years have tried to get me off of klonopin and it has always put me in the hospital. The last time I was in the hospital, they cut my klonopin down 2 mg. I was in the hospital for a while.

My system does not like change overs. My neurologist is going to make the change from Neurontin to Keppra, one every three months. My vitamin B6 is 2 mg. I take the Super B-Complex 1 one time a day.

The joys of Kepprage

Hi there, Kepprage!!! love the name, hate the feeling. Started taking Keppra approx 2 years ago, started slowly on 250mgs and have now built up to 1250 x 2. The mood swings came on gradually, dont know about anyone else but I tried to suppress them. Thought I had lost it completely :paperbag: Irrational anger a real red mist. Then the tears, every little thing became HUGE. Absolutely no self worth. So much so that I was even thinking of ways to kill myself and just get it over with!!! As I say, I thought I was going crazy. I was diagnosed at the age of 14 and never ever let it change my life, partied like any teenager would then travelled the world. Epilepsy never a problem. Initially was taking Epilim but then was put onto Tegretol and then Tegretol Retard. Everything fine, down to approx 2 seizures a year!!!! Great. My Neurologist decided two years ago after a particularly nasty siezure, when I fell into a fire, to introduce Keppra. Oh what Joy!! I know it is a wonder drug for some people and that's great. My seizures increased and the Kepprage started. Went to see my doc and he wanted to put me on anti-depressants, I said I would rather not and that I would go and have a word with my Neurologist. Finally two weeks ago, I decided I had to do something. Looked on this forum and saw that other people felt like I do so the next morning I made an appointment. The decision was to come off Keppra and introduce Lamotrogine. I am dropping the pills and going back for a review in another two weeks. A few side effects, clamminess, dizziness, blurred vision, stuff like that. I read on the forum about V B6 so am taking that too to help with the depression. Fingers and toes crossed. Thanks to all on here, your threads have been so informative :ponder: Hey, Epilespsy is something we have all learned to live with and the way I've always looked at it is, I'm Epileptic, I will have seizures, it was just the total personality change and dark depressions that got to me. Hopefully these will change. Great reading about you all, wonderful people with wonderful outlooks :rock:

Welcome to the forum,

A lot of terrific people are involved and are able to give good advice, suggestions or a shoulder to cry on.

I'm on Keppra, not entirely thrilled with the anger, but I just passed 11 months seizure free! So I guess it's working, still trying to work out the kepprage.

Maureen

Hi Maureen, thanks for the reply it's great to know that there is someone 'out there' My Epilepsy nurse is great and I have been with her for about 10 years so a good friend now too, but sometimes you can only explain to people who understand. I still cant believe some peoples attitude to epilepsy in this day and age. Anyone asks then I tell them what they want to know. My GP told me the other day that there is more money spent on Leprosy research than there is on Epilepsy. I have pointed him towards this forum:p

Normally I am a pretty calm person. I have lowered my keppra. It has helped my t/c's a lot. But I get so depressed, I am so tired of it.And I am on my second antideppressant. Just things hit me a lot harder now.I am glad you are here. You will learn a lot here.

Hi Maureen, thanks for the reply it's great to know that there is someone 'out there' ...

Welcome here. You'll see that you are definitively not alone. I have been on Keppra for a few months but my Neurologist moved me over to Trileptal over Christmas see http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/follow-up-keppra-5328/. I do feel much more myself and I rarely have mood swings those days.

My GP told me the other day that there is more money spent on Leprosy research than there is on Epilepsy. I have pointed him towards this forum:p

Its always a shock to be reminded of that, no? You did well to point him to such a support group. It might help others and help him understand better how we feel about things ;-)

So to quote many others, hang in there you will find a way to relax again about all this.

Cheers,

Hi Guys I'm new here :) Yes Im feeling the Kepprage as we speak! Its become much worse since I've been taken off my antidepressant. I'm gonna look into the Vit B6 thing. Either that or go back on citalopram (which as I'm sure u all know increases seizures!) Bah!! Why does it have to be so complicated? :(

Last edited:
Hey

Hi Guys I'm new here :) Yes Im feeling the Kepprage as we speak! Its become much worse since I've been taken off my antidepressant. I'm gonna look into the Vit B6 thing. Either that or go back on citalopram (which as I'm sure u all know increases seizures!) Bah!! Why does it have to be so complicated? :(

Hello,

Try the B6 before adding back. Give yourself a chance to adapt. The less you mix meds the better you should stay in the long term. Its not like if you're looking at a temporary situation.

Cheers,

The way I cope with the Kepprage is three fold:

B6 (probably need more of this)

Linkin Park & Metallica - Hey, its an outlet. Great workout music too!

Time with my horse - the zen of this for me cannot be understated. There's something about a relationship with an 1100 pound animal that keeps me in the moment, and keeps any anger far away. If I can bottle that outside of my time at the farm, my serenity would likely be limitless.

Hello! My Kepprage isn't as bad as it used to be when I first started the Keppra a year and a half ago, but it still comes, especially when I'm already stressed. I'm a teacher, and sometimes it pops up at the worst times. What's this vitamin B6 thing? Where do I find it, and how much do I take? I'm on 3000 mg (1500 2x a day) of the Keppra.

hi, you can get it from a health food store such as holland and barrett. the other name for it is pyridoxine

I am getting mesage therapy now for all of that stress. I don't know if I can spell it, but I can feel it. LOL My epileptologist wrote a referral for me and after I got the first rub down, it through me in to a 2 hour seizure last week. Now I have a bad case of epilepsy so for the newbies don't worry. I go back tomorrow. I think we hit something that could work.

I am getting mesage therapy now for all of that stress. I don't know if I can spell it, but I can feel it. LOL My epileptologist wrote a referral for me and after I got the first rub down, it through me in to a 2 hour seizure last week. Now I have a bad case of epilepsy so for the newbies don't worry. I go back tomorrow. I think we hit something that could work.

When I was in massage college I was wondering if I'd get more seizures because it's a VERY stressful course. What I noticed was that the more massages I got a week (we used to learn the practical aspect of the course on each other) the less my seizures bothered me.

Hope it really helps your seizures. Keep track to see if there's any difference.

Good luck.

Yes, plus I went to a little cabin on the hood canal after the epilepsy walk on Saturday. It was so quiet. I learned I really need to be good to my body. Live where its good for me, take time away. I used to be able to do more. It's a whole life change for me. I'm cleaning out my house and giving away what I don't need. I'm giving myself and my son room to breathe. I am going to take another meditation class to.

2 quick notes

The vitamin B6 is good and needs to be taken in conjunction with B12 to work properly. BUT, be careful because you can get too much of it even on off the shelf doses. Last year my levels were way over the top.

To cope with Kepprage, my theory was always to vent it out. Don't keep it in. Just make sure it is at an inanimate object, not a person or something harmful. (I vent at the politicians on TV a lot and while watching sports).

Keppra

Hi,

I've been taking Keppra for over a year now. I was taking 1000mg twice daily. I had a seizure on May 14 and my neurologist upped it to 1500mg twice daily. I noticed an increase in irritability, wanting to cry etc etc almost immediately. I asked him if I could change to taking 1000mg three times daily - get the same dose just spread out and maybe smooth out those rough spots. He said ok. I have been doing this for a week now, it is waaaayyy worse! That also might be because I'm in the middle of my menstrual cycle. I know that Keppra is usually taken twice a day. I also know that some people take it 3 or 4 times daily. Has anyone tried this, have you had success? failure?

Please respond, I'm going nuts and my poor husband is afraid of me (not really)

Thanks

Oh man, I am so sorry. My menses are the worse for me. I scare the world. I just take my quiet time now and be alone when I am able to. Its the worst seizure time for me and my periods are pre meno. I am suppose to be getting a very week hormone therapy to help this. An insert. Maybe you can talk to your gyno about it.

I take my Keppra twice a day. In the morning I was taking 2 pills. I cut it back to one because it was making me sleep to much.

I use soft melody music and a short nap to relax. Doclotus, when I was young I had a horse until I was 18 years old. That relaxed me greatly. I wish I had a horse now. I am post meno and that cuts down on my seizures. When I was having periods, I had lots of seizures. I take Vitamin B complex. My neurologist says it is in the normal range. He tests me every 6 months on my main medicines as well.

Back
Top Bottom