Kepprage: How do you de-stress?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Well, I've been taking 1000mg of Keppra three times a day for about 6 weeks. When my dosage was 1500mg twice daily I was miserable and most people were afraid of me and my crankiness. It seems to have helped. It's still not perfect but there is improvement, also my husband has been on strike for 5 weeks so there are other stresses on in my life...if he ever gets back to work, the weather improves, whatever, it will be just fine! Keep your fingers crossed!!

Hi maureen,

I have been taking Keppra for a while now. I am taking 5 a day. I am on 2500mg a day. That is to much for me. It makes me sleep a lot. I am trying to spread them out so I will not sleep as much. I am not changing my dosage. I will wait to see the neurologist for that. I am taking 2 just before I go to bed.

The weather is not going to change here until September. Right now, we are in the 100's for the summer. It is going to be 103 today. I can only go out in the morning. I hope Canada is cooler.

My third neurologist said not to have any stress. That is impossible in life. Soft music helps me. I need to wear sunglasses when I watch TV or the computer. I am photosenstive. Maybe those will help you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was beginning to wonder if the computer and the tv were a little bright. I may try the sunglasses suggestion!

Hi maureen,

You can get sunglasses at Walmart. Do they have Walmart in Canada? If not, get polarized sunglasses in a cheap store where they sell sunglasses. I use the polarized ones. They work the best.

I am taking 1000 keppra XR at night and it seems to help with the seizures but I have noticed I have been getting more panic attacks so now I am up to 100mg of Zoloft. We'll see what happens. I also take B Complex. If my moods dont feel better by next week I am going to see the Dr again. What a PITA this whole thing is.........................................................:ponder:

Good luck , hope you work it out.

Keppra

I'm @ 3000mg Keppra w/trileptal chaser, but also on a veritable buffet of nerve damage drugs, narcotics, and depression meds. I have lost my last 2 jobs due to outbursts at work, the drywall at my house is bedecked with wholes, and my wife left me about a month ago due to fear of me. My neurologist has dismissed any suggestion that this could be drug-related, so I wanted to see if this was going on with anybody else. I really don't know what to do anymore, b/c Keppra is the first drug that managed the seizures. I'm starting to feel like my choice is misery with a car or sezures without.:bigmouth:

You know, I really don't get that mad any more. Exept durring that time. When I try and mellow. I like to listen to listen to string music , and if my mind won't quit and I will not sleep, I go through the alphabet and say things I'm thankful for or count from 1000 back,I usually mess up on that one so it puts me to sleep.I guess the secret is when you blow up is talk about it, and then focus on something else.Tell me if you know of something better that works for you. Teresa

I've just started back on Keppra I'm on 500MG AM and PM.
my neuro wants to get m up to 1500MG but I'm not crazy about that I became allergic last time at 1500MG.He seems to have a problem with me not developing rashes I just itch like crazy when I become allergic.
Belinda:ponder:

Not only do I have anger issues with 2000mg Keppra but I have developed horrible shakes, stiffness of the neck and back, and also a feeling that I have absolutly no blood in my arms and legs. Anybody else get the same effects?

I also feel abnormally slow, like my brain isn't as fast as a year ago. Is this Keppra or is it a blonde thing?lol

Anger issues are more of what I am familiar with. But if I were you I would go to the doc. I am on 750mlgs in the morning and 2250 at night.I am a little airy. But no siezures.Royal, tell your Dr. exactly how you feel. There are some good meds out there now that could probably help you. Good luck, Teresa

Medication Meltdown

I've been on Keppra for 3 weeks now, and had my first medication meltdown yesterday. I cried pretty much for 24 hours straight, called my doctor's office demanding detailed answers about the reasons behind his treatment choices, called my family members on the phone and got them all upset... sheesh.

But beyond that, the Keppra has been great. The seizures are now very few and far inbetween.

I've gotta believe this is going to get better. Either that, or any minute now I'll discover that I've been kidnapped by aliens. Because this is my body, but it's definitely not my mind.

I have been on 1500 mg of Keppra and it has been a struggle. It has helped with the seizures though. It just gave me some serious anxiety issues fcor a while. So Now i AM TAKING 100 MG vitamin B6 , Magnesium 400 mg along with Calcium and Vit D3 and it seems to help a little . I also walk 5 hours a week and do yoga and just started going to massage therapy sessions, Music helps too.I listen to New age, Classical and Blues and even Rock.

Not only do I have anger issues with 2000mg Keppra but I have developed horrible shakes, stiffness of the neck and back, and also a feeling that I have absolutly no blood in my arms and legs. Anybody else get the same effects?

I do not have the anger issues with Keppra. I did get the shakes and my neurologist gave me Mysoline for it. It works. I have pain in my neck and back, but I had that before I was put on Keppra.

Check with your doctor about the feelings you have with your blood.

My neurologist told me to take Vitamin B-Complex, one a day. It works. For your neck and back take Calcium Citrate with D.

I no longer have the bad side effects of Keppra.

Exercise helps

I felt another crying jag coming on today and I almost yelled at my neighbor for parking his car across my driveway.

Until my seizures are under control I've been avoiding swimming, which has always been my main exercise. Today I went anyway. Wow, did it help my attitude. (I don't think I'm one of those people that exercise actually triggers seizures.) I put soothing music on my swimmer's earphones, and did a long stretch of laps. When I climbed out my legs were wobbly in a good way, and so was my brain - in a good way. Then I took my dog for a walk in the rain. It was nice.

Unless exercise (or the dehydration that can come with it) is a trigger, it's a great way to get the endorphins going. A guaranteed upper.

Until my seizures are under control I've been avoiding swimming, which has always been my main exercise. Wow, did it help my attitude. (I don't think I'm one of those people that exercise actually triggers seizures.) I put soothing music on my swimmer's earphones, and did a long stretch of laps. When I climbed out my legs were wobbly in a good way, and so was my brain - in a good way. Then I took my dog for a walk in the rain. It was nice.

I love swimming and it relaxes me. Exercise is good for you. I have done 4 mile hikes as well. Walking, aeobics and any exercise will relax you. Just do half an hour a day of exercise. It calms my seizures down.

Ruth

I am new to this group. My daughter was just diagnosed in July with nocturnal epilepsy with behavioural problems(ADHD, compulsivity). She has never slept properly and she is 6 years old. The first drug we tried was Keppra and it was hell! We lost our daughter for about3 months until we could switch her meds to Tegretol. She had major mood swings, cried all the time, would quake in fear if anyone raised their voice. I wish I had found this site earlier. All of your stories really help. Thanks, Katherine(Kendall's Mom)

Hi Katherine, welcome to CWE. This is a great place!! Bernard made this forum out of love for his wife Stacy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum. There is also a "nursery room" where other mothers and fathers get help for their young children.

Keppra, I have noticed either loves you or hates you. It works for me. It depletes Vitamin B Complex. My neurologist told me the first day he put me on it. I take a supplement everyday. I am allergic to Tegretol. My seizures are pretty much under control now.

I am very sorry that your daughter is having such a tough time. I have twin boys who have epilepsy and they had the same problems when they were that age. It is hard to deal with. I know, I went through it. It got a lot better as they got older. Now, they are in their 40's.

Patience and love are the main things that I did. I love children anyway so that was not hard. That is what your daughter needs.

I was on Keppra XR also and was hostile towards everyone and I MEAN HOSTILE. I explained to my neuro what was going on and he placed me on antildepressants which got me back to a normal state of mind. You may want to try an antidepressant.

They used to think that keppra was a mood stablizier. Can you believe that? And now it is found to be the #1 one drug for epilepsy to cause suicide. They are tapering me off the drug because it hit me to hard.Not a single soul should live that way.Teresa

Back
Top Bottom