List of bad foods

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Living Fruity....
You advice to shop the outside of the market is a good easy one to remember. But I am curious why no dairy? I have bad oestroposis and cannot take any of the meds due to problems I had when I tried them. So for now, I am trying to add a lot of dairy to my diet. Boy, it hard when I have to make a decision...eat for my oestro or eat for my seizures!

RobinN did an excellent job of answering your question. Here's some more information from Dr. Robert Fried:

I hold milk products to be absolute poison for anyone with a neurological disorder. Not only is milk not the good source of calcium everybody holds it to be, it actually depletes calcium because the calcium in the milk is used up in the acid-base balance caused by metabolic acidosis from milk consumption. Acidosis [reduced alkalinity of the blood] is a calamity for seizure sufferers because the kidneys can do only about 35 percent of acid-base balance correction, and the lungs do the rest. And that means hyperventilation-just what we taught you with biofeedback not to do.

In the presence of metabolic acidosis you have to hyperventilate to restore the balance of hydrogen ions in the blood; this is caught up in the pulmonary carbon dioxide expulsion cycle. Hyperventilation, however, causes significant blood-vessel constriction in the body and brain, and thus it jeopardizes oxygen delivery to the brain, which is more sensitive to it than the rest of the body. That is why it is used in neurological examinations to produce theta EEG seizure patterns-because it (dairy) can trigger seizures.

I don't consume dairy products or take supplements. I get my calcium from dark leafy greens and veggies. Spinach is an excellent source of calcium.

Other food triggers that I have heard of are citrus fruits and, a more recent connection has been made with pork. This makes sense to me because I have noticed seizure activity within 24hrs of consuming pork. This tends to make a traditional breakfast the most difficult meal to make. Milk, pork, breads/wheats and citrus tend to be triggers. Apparently, there has been a connection established with artificial colors, specifically yellow.

I agree with the notion of keeping a diary. These triggers are as individual as peoples' allergies, not everyone reacts to the same thing. I've started to pay more attention to what I am eating. At least as a starting point, I have come to a simply conclusion as to what to eat. When reading the ingredients on the package, if I cannot pronounce it or if it takes more than one breath to read all of the ingredients listed out loud, than chances are there is some sort of trigger ingredient in that food. It appears that the more basic the diet is the better off we are.

MSG <--- even the most healthiest person can
be allergic or have reactions to it in some shape
or form.

CANOLA OIL <-- you might as well buy engine
oil and drink that <sarcastic>

TOMATOES :eek: What? You have to be
joking here! See if this has any impact upon you,
even I had to cut back on this big time myself
after both a Neurologist in the past and the
Epileptologist not too long ago - both had remarked
it - I love tomatoes but I had to cut way back on it.

PEPPERS - it can be a seizure provocation itself.
(Not for me it isn't) The Peppers I am speaking of
ranges from Bell Peppers to the hottest Peppers
that a "nutcase" would love (and that would be me
of course - LOL)! Chili-heads!

SALT - has a 50/50 coin toss (some is due to
medication itself, the craving for it) - but people
have to be careful with this. If you are a salt lover,
and eating a lot of salty snacks and uses a lot of
salt - try to cut back and see if it reduces your
seizures. Even if it does not, at least it will do
you good health wise anyway.

AGED PRODUCTS - this includes Meat & Cheese;
which can trigger both seizures and migraines.
Make note of this as well. Yellow cheese tends
to be more provoking than White. Aged Sausage
(hard) tends to be higher than aged meat as a
whole - such as prosciutto for example, which is
aged meat.

The only way to know is via trial and error and
keeping a diary / ledger / notes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love blue cheese :paperbag:... you need to eat organic when you can guys and stay away from food dyes "Color additives"

Hey guys,

I've been out of town. I just wanted to thank everyone for the responses. It's been a BIG help. :)

Hey guys,

I've been out of town. I just wanted to thank everyone for the responses. It's been a BIG help. :)

Welcome back! Did you bring us any treats?
:woot::mrt:

Not unless you want fried, southern food...haha! Why/How did I ever eat that stuff?! My body hated me while I was there. I had to hunt down hippy food, which is not easy in lower Alabama. :)

Not unless you want fried, southern food...haha! Why/How did I ever eat that stuff?! My body hated me while I was there. I had to hunt down hippy food, which is not easy in lower Alabama. :)

I've been away from the south for 30+ years and moved to Kentucky last spring. I skip the fried stuff except for hush puppies which was not on the menu in New Mexico or Arizona!
:pop:

The only thing I absolutely can not resist that's fried...FRIED OKRA. It's just so yummy to my tummy. :)

The only thing I absolutely can not resist that's fried...FRIED OKRA. It's just so yummy to my tummy. :)

Fried okra and hush puppies with fish dinner!mmmm...delish!
:mrt:

hi, I am new to this and this is the first time I am posting a message.......I need support from people who understand this.

In answer to your question about what foods to stay away from, I think you will be interested to know that the spices Rosemary and fennel bring on seizures. I didn't kn ow what happened to me two times but traced it back to rosemary chicken and a dish sprinkled with rosemary as a garnish.....so I looked it up and in a aromatherapy book it said that people with epilepsy should not eat rosemary or fennel..... It really was quite drastic when I ate it. I also traced back the fennel to a seizure when I ate in an Indian restaurant.........which uses fennel as a spice.... Supposedly they both excite the nervous system. I have read about this several times now just so i validated what I first read...........I know from my experience..........so I hope that helps

Rosemary and fennel bring on seizures. I didn't kn ow what happened to me two times but traced it back to rosemary chicken and a dish sprinkled with rosemary as a garnish.....so I looked it up and in a aromatherapy book it said that people with epilepsy should not eat rosemary or fennel.....

:hello: Janahlynn!

Welcome to CWE! And you are absolutely correct,
Fennel and Rosemary can be seizure provocative
spices, if they affect you - then shy away from
them. Just like some things do not bother others
and some things do; every one of us are differing.

So whatever it may or may not apply is what it is
so important! So keep in mind just because so and
so down the street is doing this and that does not
necessarily mean it will or would be in application to
you. The ONLY WAY to know is via trial and error!

;)

And of course, by also reading and learning as well.
You, by playing "Street Smart" is the best way
to avoid "future possibilities" of any occurrences for
your health's own sake and dodging the "E-bullets"
that "may or may not" be seizure provoking! Playing
it smart is the best thing to do!

:tup:

Hi janahlynn :hello: Welcome to CWE! Thanks for sharing the information about the rosemary and fennel on this list. It's great to have you here and sharing information with us. This is a wonderful group full of support, encouragement, inspiration, and information. I'm sure it will be even better with you here as well :)

Yeah, goat dairy and spinach...um, I don't see me eating those ever!
So I think I am better off sticking to regular dairy and calcium. I have severe oestro and that's really all I can do as I have terrible reactions to the oestro meds.

Yeah, goat dairy and spinach...um, I don't see me eating those ever!

Regarding eating spinach: I know many people shy away from spinach. I will eat it raw but not cooked.
The tastiest way I have found to consume spinach is to juice it. If you have a good juicer and juice the spinach with carrots and an apple, I promise that it just tastes like great apple juice. Give it a try!

Yeah, I don't like apple juice either...I think it is from years of cleaning up spit up apple juice from the kids. If I even smell it, I throw up! I don't own many kitchen applicances like blenders, juicers, etc just because I am limited in using them due to my arm

Yeah, I don't like apple juice either...I think it is from years of cleaning up spit up apple juice from the kids. If I even smell it, I throw up! I don't own many kitchen applicances like blenders, juicers, etc just because I am limited in using them due to my arm

I used to hate apple juice until someone introduced me to the Unfiltered Apple Juice that comes in the big glass jugs. It tastes more like you're drinking an apple.

Back
Top Bottom