List of bad foods

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I barely notice a smell whereas I do with the other processed stuff (ech). The unfiltered juice is definitely much healthier.

My :twocents: I'm not nearly as knowledgable as most, but I do know that I have read that Grapefruit and Yellow/Vanilla pudding are known seizure triggers in many people. If I am not badly mistaken, I have also read the same thing about sage.

Still learning but thought I'd share. :e:
-Julie

Actually, the truth is:

Grapefruit is a problematic issue with MEDICATIONS
not seizures. Other citrus are fine; it is just the
Grapefruits and the Juices. (When I speak of
Medications - it just doesn't apply to anti-
epileptic drugs only; it impacts other meds
as well .... but being CWE here, we are in
reference and pertaining to anti-epileptic
drugs here --- just so to note this issue.)

Read about it all here:

GRAPEFRUIT

I know I was on Tegretol for over a decade before being told to avoid grapefruit. Both the pharmacist (who told me) & I were shocked at how long it took for me to find out.

Actually, the truth is:

Grapefruit is a problematic issue with MEDICATIONS
not seizures. Other citrus are fine; it is just the
Grapefruits and the Juices. (When I speak of
Medications - it just doesn't apply to anti-
epileptic drugs only; it impacts other meds
as well .... but being CWE here, we are in
reference and pertaining to anti-epileptic
drugs here --- just so to note this issue.)

Read about it all here:

GRAPEFRUIT

Thanks Sharon for clarifying that! ;) I appreciate the insight. :agree:
-Julie

I discovered when I take my vitamins is just as important as what I take. Example: I take all my B vitamins with my breakfast. not before I eat it but during or after. I take C three times a day and my vitamin D3 seems to be more effective if I take it at night. my neuro told me to take my calcium at least 2 hour before or after my medications as it will interfere with absorbtion of one of them, so, I do. No big for me.:twocents:

B vitamins should also not be taken at night time, as they will keep you awake.

The grapefruit has an interaction with liver enzymes.
There's a downside to grapefruit juice. It carries a class of compounds that inhibit the liver enzymes your body needs to eliminate many widely used medications. This grapefruit/ drug interaction increases the risk of drug side effects.
Something new was just discovered though:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20090203/mushrooms-cut-grapefruit-drug-effect

After 2 years seizure free I had 2 grand mal this morning, and I'm struggling to figure out why. I can frequently get away with missing my meds once, which I might have done, and getting too little sleep (I got 6 hours, which isn't too bad), which is a trigger for me.

But I ate lots of ginger yesterday. Is this a common cause of seizures? Does anyone else react badly to it?

Hey Obelia, nice seeing you again. Sorry to hear about the seizures. I looked around, but was unable to find any information/studies on ginger and seizure activity.

I have not read anything about ginger, except that it aids in GI health.
Perhaps if your seizures were due to leaky gut, or GI issues, you might have flared up something that put you over the edge. I just did a quick search and I see that ginger is used for yeast infections. If you have a fungal yeast imbalance in the gut, perhaps the die off from the amount of ginger you ate, MIGHT have triggered something.

Other ideas:
Do you drink diet drinks? Or eat lowfat foods? How is your overall nutrition plan?
Refined food products, bread, crackers, pasta etc?

My son takes a Zinc tablet at dinner (end of the meal). Zinc is very helpful to him and he can't go without it (immune booster). If you take it on a full stomach you should be ok. I am also looking for a good/bad food list. We avoid gluten and casein but, not sure what else to add to the list, specific for the GARD diet.

Yes, this is what my husband found. So we are now Gluten, Casein, Corn, and Soy free. Trying to balance in meats, potatoes, and egg. Still need to purchase the goat cheese and milk. Getting closer.

You are lucky Kimberly to have a husband that is willing to go on this journey with you.

Yes, he does the medical research and I implement the diets and get volunteers to work with my son. We have been a good time for more than 11 years of my son's life. Thank you for sharing about the neurofeedback. I will take some time to work through the new diet and then look into the NF. Thanks again!

Aspartame is a big thing once I got off of it my seizures went away a lot Any thing Diet or Sugar Free, it is hard but aspartame if you put it on an ant trail it kills them so what is it doing to your body. Pamela

Green and some aged tea, I don't know If i shared this one. several Chinese and cleansing teas are bad for some of us.

Went to a tea tasting on a date. The teas basically cleaned the meds out of my system very quickly, and I spent two weeks in the hospital. Not a good thing.

I used to also eat cans of spinach. But they have to be chased by something high in protien or I am liable to have a seizure. I only recently found out.

Also had to quiet eating fake meat when I am hungry, or I am liable to have a seizure.

I know these are older posts, but for DFWTEXAS, don't eat tuna for the omega's especially out of the can, it is extremely high in mercury which for the nervous system big no no. They just had a thing on the news that was warning pregnant women to not eat tuna.

I also heard that fish oil is good for memory too...I had read that eating tuna is as good as taking the fish oil pills, so I just make sure I eat it a couple times a week

I've always ate fish, right from childhood and still do now . But I still have memory loss.

Aspartame is a big thing once I got off of it my seizures went away a lot Any thing Diet or Sugar Free, it is hard but aspartame if you put it on an ant trail it kills them so what is it doing to your body. Pamela

It's also in non-diet drinks, Tango, Fanta, most Dandelion and Burdock brands. I thought I was avoiding it until I read the ingredients on these. I was shocked when I discovered that, I bought the non-diet drinks to avoid it!

It's also in many cordial drinks (the dilute to taste drinks), and not all of them are diet ones. I read everything I buy now. I avoid all artificial sweeteners (except I believe there may be one in Topamax, can't remember), there are some (although not usually aspartame, in many cakes and even chocolate.
I don't eat too much cake and make my own now anyway, tastes much nicer home-made and less artificial - try a home-made one next to a shop bought one and you will see what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom