Noob here justs wondering what people think. All opinions welcome.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey all.
This is just a topic to see if anybody shares similar symptoms, feelings or opinions about this. I'm 18 years old and have suffered from Idiopathic Generalised Epilepsy all my life. My epilepsy is something I've always put up with but recently its been driving me mad. For four years I was fit free, then in 2007 i went through an awful year having at least one fit every 2 months. The weird thing was that all of those fits seemed to be triggered by physical exercise so i went to get an ECG done but my heart was in perfect condition. I was happy because after August of 2007 I was once again fit free for a year and so was looking forward to learning to drive (DVLA states that any sufferer of epilepsy must be fit free for a year before being able to learn to drive) however my excitement was short lived. In November 2008 I suffered yet another fit, with another different trigger and this time it was a different kind of seizure also. Instead of my normal kind of seizure in which I seize violently, I was told by my friend (who witnessed it) that I in fact seized up, collapsed and didn't move much but was solid and foaming at the mouth. Also he told me that I was hitting kitchen tiles in a sequence for a long time and didn't respond to his calling to me. I dont know if they're getting worse or better. The reason my doctor gave for this kind of seizure was and I quote "possibly because the Keppra drugs are making it more controlled." But surely it could be the exact opposite? Is anyone else on the Keppra or had similar symptoms? Also, I'm rather worried that I may be suffering some side effects because I suffer badly from bi-polar disorder (a mild form of manic depression). Any help or responses would be much appreciated. Many thanks for listening to my rant.

skaboss628,
welcome to the forum,

I've had seizures since before I was 2 and I'm now 47,I've never had a license.
I was seizure free 8 months 1990-91.Since than I've never gone 1 month seizure free.Medications don't control me and I'm med resistant to a lot of drugs allergic to about 5.If I have a seizure that's life and I just live my life go where I can do things , I won't sit at home waiting for my next seizure, if I have one in public so be it.It doesn't embarass me.
Epilepsy what u make of it.

Belinda

... For four years I was fit free, then in 2007 i went through an awful year having at least one fit every 2 months. The weird thing was that all of those fits seemed to be triggered by physical exercise ... In November 2008 I suffered yet another fit, with another different trigger and this time it was a different kind of seizure also. ... I dont know if they're getting worse or better. ... Is anyone else on the Keppra or had similar symptoms? Also, I'm rather worried that I may be suffering some side effects because I suffer badly from bi-polar disorder (a mild form of manic depression). ...

1. Breakthrough seizures suck. Exercise as a trigger is not uncommon (many possible reasons including blood oxygen [depletion], dehydration, etc.).

2. The Keppra might be controlling your original seizure condition, but it appears your brain has learned a new trick which Keppra is not controlling.

3. Have you had your blood syrum levels of Keppra checked to make sure you aren't on a toxic dose? Keppra is metabolized in the kidneys (not liver), so if you have any problems with your kidneys, it can affect your Keppra metabolism.

4. Vitamin B6 can help with Kepprage

5. Maybe something in here will help: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

Hi SkaBoss,

Keppra is a miracle drug for many, but not all. It seems to surprise people when they are not controlled by Keppra because so many are now being prescribed the medication.
I had the same results as you, but more frequent. I had not had a generalized seizure for 13 years. The Trileptal seemed to be losing it's potency after 10 years so we decided to try Keppra. Ha. Not only was I having horrible Keppra Rage, but I had generalized seizures every 10 days.
We kept at it for 2 months, hoping my body would adjust, to no avail.

I happily put that event behind me and switched to Lamictal, which is working great.

Just because you have been prescribed a medication doesn't mean you can't ask to switch. You have control of your own medical issues, and don't let a doctor tell you otherwise.

Best of luck.

Welcome SKaBoss628 to CWE. We are here to support each other. You were not ranting or raving. You were just telling us your epilepsy history and how you felt and some questions.

I am on Keppra. I was told by my neurologist to take Vitamin B6 with it. I decided to take the B complex Vitamin. My other medicines are starting to wear off. That is why my neurologist is slowly changing my medicines. I am not having too many problems with the changes. One change every 3 months.

My neurologist is doing it real slow because of my 2 Status epilepsy seizure attacks. I am 66 and have never driven a car. I have had seizures since I was 6 years old. In CA you have to be several years seizure free before you can drive a car again. I have the bus, walking and Dial-A-Ride. Dial-A-Ride is where you call up and they come and take you by car, and take you where you want to go.

Walking is the best exercize for me. It relaxes me. I walk slow, not fast. I also do aerobics and have no problem with it. Each of us is different as what we can and cannot do.

We are glad to have you here.

Hi Ska ! Welcome to CWE. :) Feel free to ask questions, chime in, or just rant in the padded room. :)

As for your seizures changing. Very possibly. I went over 10 years with no seizures and then bam, they started up again and changed a bit. They were every month or two. Usually around my period. Do as Bernard said, and get your levels tested. Also, it may be time to change or add meds. Believe it or not, it's not that unusual to have to change meds. As for the seizures happening after exercising, you might be triggered by fast shallow breathing....if that's the case, just try to remember to take long deep breaths. No fast shallowing breathing for you.

Welcome!
I am on Keppra and so far so good! But my neuroglist has told me if it stops working, he would be the first to try another seizure med. I am a newbie when it comes to E...got diagnosed April 2008. But I have noticed I have to keep on top of triggers...in the past year, I have seen my triggers changing. But if I work with my known triggers and take the Keppra, I am doing good.
Has the doctor checked your blood level to see if your Keppra is the proper dose...he may need to adjust the amount. How much are you taking?

To relax me, I listen to melody music and music from the 1950's and 60's.

I have to wear polarized sun glasses in front of the computer or the TV. They can be triggers for me.

Back
Top Bottom