So I was stupid...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am new here but need to share my experience.

I've been a regular smoker for several decades and was just diagosed with epilepsy after I had a tonic clonic seizure when taking a 2 week break from smoking.

In my case, I wonder if the break from mj triggered my seizure.

I've read that mj can help some epileptics. But obviously not with you if it made you feel so bad. Sorry you had to go thru that.

I smoked bud off n on for a couple years, pretty much whenever my buddies had it, and only once did I have anything similar to what you described. I don't know what it was, (can you have a bad high like people who have bad trips?). I thought it was kinda fun actually *L*

Now, I don't condone smoking weed nor do I want it banned, but just from the way you described your experience with it and the fact it bothered you so much, I think it probably would be a good idea you don't try it again.

In my case, I wonder if the break from mj triggered my seizure.
I would think that to be very possible. I know when I smoked as a kid I NEVER had a seizure when high but often had worse ones the next day.

MJ effects the brain by slowing the firing of neurons (as do AED's). My theory is that if someones body (or should I say brain) is too used to that effect, having that removed could increase the chances of a neuron(s) misfiring.

I think your brain was used to toxins. You know how you get off meds or I started massage therapy, toxins were released into my brain and I had a grand mal. After that it stopped.

I smoked bud off n on for a couple years, pretty much whenever my buddies had it, and only once did I have anything similar to what you described. I don't know what it was, (can you have a bad high like people who have bad trips?). I thought it was kinda fun actually *L*

Now, I don't condone smoking weed nor do I want it banned, but just from the way you described your experience with it and the fact it bothered you so much, I think it probably would be a good idea you don't try it again.

Well...haha, that post was back in March and I've been a regular smoker now on the weekends. I think it was just the high I wasn't use to, because now the forgetfulness and disorientation is just the high creeping up on me before it peaks. Moderation is the key though. MJ stays in your system for a while, unlike alcohol which has always been an aura producing substance the next day for me. But again, I make sure I don't smoke during the week and become a pot head.

As for auras and weed....I really haven't noticed an increase. Sometimes the next day I will feel like a complete space cadet. But could that be a hangover? My auras and seizures were always brought on by a bad night or irregular night of sleep so perhaps the weed just making me tired can bring on auras? I don't know, but I wish they would just legalize the damn stuff but I don't want to get started on that. :soap:

Oh yea, I ran this by my neuro since by law they can't report it. He said he's not going to "tell" me it's ok (liability) but that he won't tell me I should stop either (with a slight twinkle in his eye).

I don't know, but I wish they would just legalize the damn stuff but I don't want to get started on that. :soap:

Oh yea, I ran this by my neuro since by law they can't report it. He said he's not going to "tell" me it's ok (liability) but that he won't tell me I should stop either (with a slight twinkle in his eye).

My Dr yesterday told me he would never get after me for my mj use, and that he said he's never heard of mj causing a seizure.

And did you know medical mj is legal in 13 of the 50 states? Maybe you could move to Colorado, Calif, Montana, or even Michigan just to name a few. ;)

The problem with mj is that because it's illegal, you can never be sure of the quality you'll get (and whether it's been doused in something like formaldehyde), unless you have a dealer you trust, or have been prescribed medical mj. Also, most street mj is bred to be high in THC and low in CBD (cannabidiol).

Studies seem to show that THC has both seizure triggering (only in some people with epilepsy) and seizure suppressing qualities. It all depends on your body chemistry how you might react to it (that's something you can never tell ahead of time, so be forewarned).

Studies of CBD, on the other hand, seem to show that it has neuroprotective qualities, and can relieve convulsions, nausea and may fight cancer. So far as I know, medical grade mj tends to have a higher CBD content than many of the kinds sold on the street.

It appears that the two chemical agents work best to relieve medical problems when used in conjunction with each other. Additionally, organic mj, doesn't put a strain on the liver the way a lot of prescription meds do.

I've had to learn more about mj, because my partner (who I suspect has E) has been smoking it since his teenage years, because it made him more able to focus, keep track of time and conversations, relieved his chronic nausea and dizziness, and eased his unexplainable behaviours (his doctor was the first to recommend it to him). In other words, it made him able to function in the world. I often wonder if more serious seizures have been kept at bay in part because of his chronic use of it. I know if he goes without for too long, all those symptoms re-emerge with a vengeance.

Last edited:
^ yea so that's the thing....you have to make sure you don't run out. I guess it also depends on the epilepsy type as well. I suspect I have a milder TLE, although my neuro said it was safe to say I was "idiopathic" since my recent MRI was completely normal and all three of my past EEG's have been normal.

Too bad my additional insurance doesn't cover the cost of the mj.

I suspect my b/f has a milder form of tle as well, judging by the things he's told me. We'll have to wait and see for the EEG if anything shows. Just in case, I'll come prepared with an optical illusion which will be sure to set him off ;)

Does anyone else in your family have any symptoms of E?

To me anyways, it sounds like you were stoned! In my experience cannabis is anti convulsant, its the rebound to watch out for the next day thats the problem, like valium or alcohol, hence its better to avoid. One time between meds, I smoked cannabis leaf 3-4 times a week for a month and had no fits! But the side effects of it as a medication dont make it a practical solution for me. (actually my neuro said I wasnt smoking enough anyway!) Of illicit drugs, I had a nasty complex partial when i tried xtc, really avoid that stuff, its a seizure in a pill! But don't be too hard on yourself, experimentation is natural and how we learn, of all drugs cannabis especially, wont do long term harm.
Cannabis will just make you lazy,stupid,boring and an inept lover!

I see the subject has been covered a lot here. I definitely urge caution for anyone considering trying it (whether legally or illegally, but especially illegally), because it doesn't work for everybody, and can cause worse side-effects for some.

That's a stereotype based on how some users behave. I've known several chronics who were extremely interesting and successful in their lives, and I've known some chronics who behaved how you described. It's not for everybody.

Well I hate to tell you...but I'm already an inept lover on Depakote lol. I gotta switch to different meds. Anyways, but I kind of disagree. I'm a musician songwriter and my body calms down and relaxes so I can play more freely. I also can write poems out the wazoo. I just can't stop writing when I smoke!

I suspect my b/f has a milder form of tle as well, judging by the things he's told me. We'll have to wait and see for the EEG if anything shows. Just in case, I'll come prepared with an optical illusion which will be sure to set him off ;)

Does anyone else in your family have any symptoms of E?

What kind of symptoms has he had? I always remember feeling "different" as a kid before my seizures started. Like, I could sense things and the atmosphere of a room for example would really alter my mood.

And while no one suffers from seizure symptoms in my family, my grandfather told me he use to have fever seizures until he was 14. My uncle also did and so did my cousin when they were infants. They all grew out of it though. Also, my mother has Psychotic Depression and my father and his side of the family suffer from alcoholism. So, a lot of mental disorders in my roots ;)

What kind of symptoms has he had? I always remember feeling "different" as a kid before my seizures started. Like, I could sense things and the atmosphere of a room for example would really alter my mood.

Sunlight has always made him feel disgusting, bold patterns make his brain hurt. He's always space-out and had aural and olfacory hallucinations. When he hit his teens, he began running away to the woods, but he didn't know why, he just started running and couldn't stop. He also began to see flashing lights, felt dizzy and nauseous on a regular basis. He also has problems following conversation or saying what's on his mind, and loses time. Moods, moods, moods. There's more, but it would take a loooooooooooong time to cover it all.

What I discovered is that his father and grandfather both have space-outs, sudden rages out of the blue, OCD like cleanliness and mysterious abdominal pain. His father also hates sunlight, and his grandfather was known for having a very strict moral code (to the point of ending a 30+ year friendship because his friend hunted one day into the off-season) These may be milder symptoms of a kind of TLE.

And while no one suffers from seizure symptoms in my family, my grandfather told me he use to have fever seizures until he was 14. My uncle also did and so did my cousin when they were infants. They all grew out of it though. Also, my mother has Psychotic Depression and my father and his side of the family suffer from alcoholism. So, a lot of mental disorders in my roots ;)
Your grandfather, your uncle and your cousin? Maybe you just have a new gene combination that changed your epilepsy just enough to outlast puberty?

HHHEEEYYY now, I am lazy, (wife would kill me for saying this) stupid, boring AND an inept lover before, during and after smoking weed :D :D :D

Weed just made those more fun and giggleicious :D *LMAO*

Sunlight has always made him feel disgusting, bold patterns make his brain hurt. He's always space-out and had aural and olfacory hallucinations. When he hit his teens, he began running away to the woods, but he didn't know why, he just started running and couldn't stop. He also began to see flashing lights, felt dizzy and nauseous on a regular basis. He also has problems following conversation or saying what's on his mind, and loses time. Moods, moods, moods. There's more, but it would take a loooooooooooong time to cover it all.

What I discovered is that his father and grandfather both have space-outs, sudden rages out of the blue, OCD like cleanliness and mysterious abdominal pain. His father also hates sunlight, and his grandfather was known for having a very strict moral code (to the point of ending a 30+ year friendship because his friend hunted one day into the off-season) These may be milder symptoms of a kind of TLE.

Sounds a lot like me...I've been trying to adhere to this gluten free diet but it's difficult. It has definitely improved my brain fog and intensity of the auras I still on occasion get. Perhaps he should try that? But yea, I still see spots sometimes, get stomach pains and I remember in 8th and 9th grade I use to get vertigo on occasion really bad! But I'm stumped since my MRI is clear.

Sounds a lot like me...I've been trying to adhere to this gluten free diet but it's difficult. It has definitely improved my brain fog and intensity of the auras I still on occasion get. Perhaps he should try that? But yea, I still see spots sometimes, get stomach pains and I remember in 8th and 9th grade I use to get vertigo on occasion really bad! But I'm stumped since my MRI is clear.

A gluten free diet is our next step. ;)

If you don't have a brain injury, malformation or atrophy, I would guess that nothing would show up on the MRI (I'm no expert though). There are hereditary forms of epilepsy that appear to be linked to mutated ion channels in the nerves, which wouldn't show up on an MRI.

You're also a musician, right? My partner is too -- it's the thing that always makes him feel better.

Remember that Epilepsy is only a label. There are perhaps genetic forms of the causes of Epilepsy. Some might say that is more rare than not, but surely the causes could run in families. I have read that where your ancestral roots are from, can actually affect the food sensitivities that you might have.

Remember that Epilepsy is only a label. There are perhaps genetic forms of the causes of Epilepsy. Some might say that is more rare than not, but surely the causes could run in families. I have read that where your ancestral roots are from, can actually affect the food sensitivities that you might have.

Really? Well, I guess I have heard about Native Americans and milk allergies. I'll have to look into my history. I just hope genetic doesn't mean hopeless as far as alternative treatments go!

Back
Top Bottom