So I was stupid...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm in agreement with Robin. Further, from what you mentioned about your uncles & grandfather experiencing febrile seizures makes me think that there is a prior history of E. in your family.

Canada is different from the U.S. with respect to medical use of mj. They haven't really permitted its use UNLESS all other means of Rx to control the seizures & surgery have been tried and are undussessful. Even then, the mj is strictly monitored by the Narcotics Control Act here and the pharmacists & pharmacologists are under strict obligations. Most recently, there has been a case here where a person has been charged criminally for the use of mj, when he finds that it is the ONLY drug which will help him. Still, he has a criminal record, even though he's fighting for the Rx use of mj.

Really? Well, I guess I have heard about Native Americans and milk allergies. I'll have to look into my history. I just hope genetic doesn't mean hopeless as far as alternative treatments go!
If I understand correctly, diet changes can help with genetic forms of E too.

If you are Aboriginal, maybe trying something closer to a traditional Native diet would work better for you -- a somewhat higher protein (certain seafoods, wild meats), lower carb (especially simple carbs like flour- based foods and potatoes), no dairy, with more raw fruits, berries and veggies could help you.

I know processed foods and simple carbs and sugar have lead to a drastic increase of diabetes and other health-related issues in Native populations. It stands to reason that your health problems could perhaps be helped with a change in diet.

Maybe find out what area your ancestors are from and research what their diet was like before European intervention.

If you are Aboriginal, maybe trying something closer to a traditional Native diet would work better for you -- a somewhat higher protein (certain seafoods, wild meats), lower carb (especially simple carbs like flour- based foods and potatoes), no dairy, with more raw fruits, berries and veggies could help you.

I know processed foods and simple carbs and sugar have lead to a drastic increase of diabetes and other health-related issues in Native populations. It stands to reason that your health problems could perhaps be helped with a change in diet.

Maybe find out what area your ancestors are from and research what their diet was like before European intervention.

Very helpful! But my family tree is so clustered with various cultures and different European backgrounds that I don't know where to begin! Suggestions? I don't really want to shell out 20 bucks on some Ancestry website unless there are no other options.

Speaking of diabetes, I'm not claiming to have it, but my blood sugar drops a lot! I get shaky and weak sometimes when I'm real hungry. Might be something everyone experiences though...

You can start by getting as much information as you can from your relatives about what they know -- you'd be surprised how far you can get with just that. Plus many places have church wedding records available online, plus US immigration records from before the 1920's (I think?) are also available online for free. Also, the Mormons have extensive records available for free (even if you're not Mormon, a relative may have been)

This isn't a quick project to take on, but you might find it interesting, and your family might too. Don't let the weed de-motivate you ;)

About the blood sugar -- I don't know, but I'm sure someone else might.

Genetics run this way in my family, but my seizures only got crazy after my surgery. I saw flashing lights, my ears are touchy. But my son is so crazy on lights. an hearing. It shows up on a veeg. Depakote and topamax are what he is taking. and Lorazepam on nocturnal mayoclonic.Good luck on this.

Very helpful! But my family tree is so clustered with various cultures and different European backgrounds that I don't know where to begin! ... I don't really want to shell out 20 bucks on some Ancestry website unless there are no other options.

You don't need to research historical diets or genetics. See this discussion: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...tophan-help-prevent-seizures-5183/index2.html

The diets that have been studied for seizure control (ketogenic, modified atkins [aka MAD], low glycemic index treatment [LGIT]) and the GARD diet are all suspected of having the same basic therapeutic mechanism. Aside from eliminating a great many excitoxins from the diet, they stimulate the body to produce its own natural anti-convulsant.

If you are having blood sugar problems (and you don't have to have full blown diabetes to have blood sugar issues), you might consider having smaller, more frequent meals. Make sure you eat complex carbs instead of simple carbs so they digest/metabolize slower and more evenly over time.

I'm a musician songwriter and my body calms down and relaxes so I can play more freely. I also can write poems out the wazoo.

I am glad this subject was brought up. So many people have this problem. My genetics are from my father's side of the family. It goes back hundreds of years.

Marijuana does not give you the gift you have of being an artist the way you are. You have the gift anyway!! People for thousands of years have had the gifts you do without smoking marijuana.

You will still have the gift without smoking marijuana. Not only that, your gift is a relaxing way to prevent seizures. MJ can cause seizures. I hope you stop. Have you considered joining the Creative Writing Page under Social Groups? You can be very creative there. I would like to see some of your artistic work.

I am glad this subject was brought up. So many people have this problem. My genetics are from my father's side of the family. It goes back hundreds of years.

Marijuana does not give you the gift you have of being an artist the way you are. You have the gift anyway!! People for thousands of years have had the gifts you do without smoking marijuana.

You will still have the gift without smoking marijuana. Not only that, your gift is a relaxing way to prevent seizures. MJ can cause seizures. I hope you stop. Have you considered joining the Creative Writing Page under Social Groups? You can be very creative there. I would like to see some of your artistic work.

Thanks for the encouragement and every one else for that matter. I will look into this creative writer's page when I have a chance. Just worked 12 hours with a bunch of landscaping so I'm pooped!

But anyhow, yea I realize the "gift" to write and sing and play guitar is there, but sometimes is just feels superficial and like I'm not doing it for the soul. With Marijuana, I feel I'm more empathetic maybe? I notice things more and can express myself and take more appreciation for nature and all things blah blah beautiful. But yea, I appreciate the encouragement. I'll post some stuff eventually.

Hi googly,

When you feel likes it superficial, you just need to take a break. You will get inspired shortly thereafter. Marijuana does not help your gift. You have it naturally. You do not have to take anything to be inspired. I believe you have a natural love for nature. I know I do. You may feel that it might be superificial sometimes. It is not when you have a gift like you have. Just ask for encouragement here. You will find inspiration at the Creative Writer's Page. You can be yourself there.

Back
Top Bottom