Strange Dreams - post yours!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

masterjen

New
Reaction score
Everyone has strange dreams every so often, or maybe even very often. Often our memories of dreams are gone as soon as we fully awaken in the morning, but others seem very clear and as if our minds wrote a novel in the night.

Post your strange dream or novel your mind wrote in the night. It can be funny, sad, scary, etc.

I dreamt that none of this is real...

Well, I'll break the ice...
I dreamt that I was some professional kick boxer, I remember I was like feeling and doing the moves but I did not know who exactly I was kickboxing with...I was just kickboxing.

In my reality?
Well I've never kick boxed .... :)
Or felt the need to do so...
Strange.... What that brain is about....

I dreamt that a Blonde Angel named masterjen thanked me for...and now I can't remember

Last edited:
My mom died when I was in my 20s and my dad just a couple of years ago.
In my dream my mom was still alive but refusing to admit/realize that Dad had died. Keeping all his stuff just like he left it as if he was going to walk in any minute.
In the dream my mom was the age that I remember her which means we were about the same age, 50 something.

As I was trying to get her to let go of the past and clean out the house it felt like I was doing some mental house cleaning of my own. Letting go of the pain. Moving on.

I think our dreams are often our subconscious telling us what we need to hear even if it's not what we want to hear.

I agree with AlohaBird on this; our subconscious is working something out and/or trying to tell us something.

I have a recurring dream that I have come to call my "life is passing me by" dream. It almost always takes place in London or NYC. I wake up (in the dream) and realize that I had been there for week's but didn't know it, and now I only have a few hours before I have to leave. I try to get out and see all I can, but I just walk in circles or just can't seem to get where I want to go. I get so frustrated thinking that I had all this time that I had wasted just sitting in the hotel room when I could have been out exploring; now time was running out and I can't even manage to see a few things.

I know that my mind is saying "you're not getting any younger, you have to get out there and live your life!" When I actually did get out there and lived the life I wanted the dreams went away. But now that circumstances have changed and I have fewer choices, the dreams have crept back. But because I'm doing what I know to be right (at least for me) they have changed a little: now when I can't get where I want to go, I try to enjoy where I am, appreciating the fact that at least I'm in London or NYC.

It's just strange that it's almost always those two cities. I would love to go to NYC but it's not on the top of my list. I've been to London and greatly enjoyed it but it's not my favorite city. I think it's just that they both offer so much to see and do, and that they are both large and a little overwhelming.

Now, as for my dream where I find the "lost Kennedy photo album" in a pile of fabric and wallpaper samples then drive away sitting on the floorboard, pushing the pedals with my hands, all the while sticking my head out the sunroof... :p Your guess is as good as mine. :D

I was trying to correct my autocorrect's mistake of week's to weeks. What happened here?

BTW- do your antiseizure meds affect your dreams? My dreams are almost always very detailed and often pretty bizarre, but Keppra really turned things up to 11. :D

I dreamt that a Blonde Angel named masterjen thanked me for...and now I can't remember

I thanked you because I thought you were meaning that you dreamed none of all our seizure issues were real and that when we woke up everything would be fine. But, I'm now guessing that is not what you meant(?)

BTW- do your antiseizure meds affect your dreams? My dreams are almost always very detailed and often pretty bizarre, but Keppra really turned things up to 11. :D

I have occasionally had detailed dreams before, but since the seizure medications I am now on they are more frequent and even more detailed.

So, I started this thread last night and wouldn't you know it: I had one of those nights where I know I dreamed but can't remember anything at all about them.

Rarely do I remember a dream. But when I do, it's as a deja vu! I will get that deja vu feeling, then remember that it's not a deja vu, but that I dreamed it recently.

The first time I remember this happening was in 1981. My father had died in November of 1980 after a few years of cancer. My mother was exhausted from running the triangle of going to work, going home and caring for her father and changing clothes, then going to the hospital and being with my father and making the decisions that had to be made. This took a toll on her, and this was during my senior year of college.

As my "graduation from college" present I was going to Europe (we had relatives there). Because my mother had been through so much, and my father had passed, she was going to come with me. I got to the office where we would apply for passports and had a huge deja vu. The big space was familiar, the lights were familiar, the smell and the desks were familiar. I had dreamed of this place, and I'd never been there or anywhere else like it.

Since then, I can think of many many times this has happened. Don't remember dreams, but some place/people/scene will be familiar and I'll suddenly remember the dream associated with it.

Blame it on the phenobarb? :noevil:

I had a bunch of dreams just now but as I went to bed I had this pain in the left side of my chest...and still have it after sleeping 8 hours...it's nothing big...just a little sharp poking sensation when I breathe...(doctors have said before that it's just muscle spasms or gas)...well whatever it is...I've had it several times before and in different locations...anyways...I dreamt about it this time...it was actually my last dream right before I woke up...very odd ending to this dream...at first I was running from a cop (for reasons I can't remember) then I suddenly became the cop...or it was like I was both...like I was chasing myself (here comes the symbolism...oh yay)...but yeah as I was running from the cop (myself)...I decided to turn around and pull out this knife or screwdriver I had in my pocket and allow him to impale himself in the chest with it (the cop)...and where he (me) got stabbed was/is in the same spot as my chest pain...except in the dream he died...and then I woke up...

The ramp-up phase of lamictal produced a lot of nightmares for me. But since then my dreams have become more tame and more fleeting. I definitely remembered my dreams better before going on anti-seizure meds (there's a dream journal to prove it). Now I tend to remember just the odd detail, and if I don't write it down, it quickly evanesces.

I like to think that our dreams (or at least my dreams) are produced by the mischievous, drunken librarians on the "nightshift". They run around idiosyncratically misfiling the memories/words/impressions that have seeped in both consciously and unconsciously during the waking hours. The resulting dream-narrative is my retrospective attempt to make order out of the juxtapositions, puns, and mash-ups that the dream librarians have left behind in their wake: "What is this children's book doing filed next to a jar of peanut butter? Where did the parrot come from? Who let my ex-boyfriend in here?" etc.

I definitely remembered my dreams better before going on anti-seizure meds (there's a dream journal to prove it). Now I tend to remember just the odd detail, and if I don't write it down, it quickly evanesces.

I tend to find that with the neurotransmitter medications I am on I remember dreams better than when I was only on seizure medications. Rather odd. As a side-light unrelated to this discussion, the neurotransmitter medications have turned my hair from slightly wavy to curly. No complaints from me there! But anyway, I also can lose a dream extremely quickly once I wake up fully. If I am still drowsy and barely out of sleep, I remember most if not all details.

I had a dream last night where my alter ego must have surfaced, or the mood side effects of Fycompa (somewhat like Keppra) was invading my sleep lol. I generally don't swear unless I am by myself or alone in my car, and even then it is under my breath as if someone might here me. Last night I was dreaming that everywhere I went I was very audibly swearing about almost everything and in public places like the grocery store, park etc. People just ignored me, which shocked me that they could ignore someone being so blatantly rude and that made me worse :paperbag:

Hmmm. Do you have a lot of repressed anger? :)

Back
Top Bottom