Strange Dreams - post yours!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

This past Friday night I was staying in a house in the woods, one that is a bit "rustic". A few hours after falling asleep, I dreamed that someone was arriving at the house late at night. A small girl came into my room and sat on the edge of my bed. I kept asking her who she was but she was silent and then disappeared. Then I heard what sounded like a dog drinking from a water dish in the kitchen outside my bedroom. And then I thought, with a bit of anxiety, what if it's not a dog but a wild animal that has gotten into the house, maybe a raccoon or a bear? I heard sounds of something much closer, right near my bed, and started to wake up. And then I felt something move under my pillow. I bolted upright -- now fully awake, adrenaline flooding my system -- and swatted "it" with the pillow. I could still hear scrabbling noises somewhere in the darkness around me. It took a while to find and turn on the light. And there it was.....a mouse. I had knocked it into a metal trashcan next to the bed, and it was now frantically (and unsuccessfully) trying to get out. I took the trashcan outside, released the poor thing into the woods, and then proceeded to NOT sleep for about an hour....

I think the dream images of the girl, then the dog, then the wild animal was my unconscious brain sensing that I had company and trying figure out a way to wake me up.

I read once that every person in a dream -- at least the dreams with significant emotional content -- represents some aspect of the dreamer.
Interesting^^^^

Also, since my mom died when she was about the age that I am now, in my dream, she was still that age. It was like we were sisters rather than mother and daughter.
People who knew my mom have always told me how much I look like her and even sound like her on the phone. So it was like talking to myself in a way.

Last edited:
I think the dream images of the girl, then the dog, then the wild animal was my unconscious brain sensing that I had company and trying figure out a way to wake me up.
On the rare occasions when I use an alarm clock, I always have dreams that are trying to wake me up. Thinks like ringing phones, fire alarms, my dog barking, etc. Then I wake up telling him to shush and he looks at me rubbing his eyes like, "Huh?"
Tough to have to apologize to a dog for waking him up.

yeah, I get those "ringing phones" too.

Sometimes it can feel like a huge long dream takes place in the fraction between the penultimate tick of the clock and the moment when the alarm begins to buzz. Does this happen for you?

I have all kinds of weird time bends and folds in my dreams. I have had entire alternate reality lifetimes contained in a dream that I know only took a few minutes by the clock.

Maybe because I have always been a sci-fi fan, but i sometimes have dreams where I meet my past or future self and have a talk with them.

Sometimes i dream from another person's POV, looking at me.

I have A LOT of hot and steamy "sex dreams" on a regular basis...but I'll leave the details up to your perverted imagination :D

Pass the brain bleach please!

BrainBleach220110725-22047-l9nu4f-1.gif~original

I constantly get those dreams of things waking me up like the alarm clock or phone ringing! I'll try to figure out where the phone is or how to turn off my alarm, because I'm still half asleep, then I realize it's 3 in the morning and none of these things are actually happening.

One of my weirdest dreams was right after I started the modifie Atkins diet to help (hopefully) with my e. I dreamt that I was eating a cheese sandwich. Just a plain bread and cheese sandwich. If I had dreamt about cake or something really good, that would make some sense, but a cheese sandwich???

Hehehehheh^^^^

I had a weird experience with dreaming recently. My Hawaiian healer has been working on loosening up the adhesions created by my multiple surgical scars. But he also has a really big and fresh scar of his own down his chest from recent open heart surgery to repair a congenital defect in a valve.

In my dream, I was the one working on HIS scar, gently working it over with my hands and then snuggling up on his chest while this brilliant purple light swirled all around us like a cocoon. Then I would sit up and do a little more work, then snuggle back in for some more of the purple light treatment.
In about twenty minutes, there was about twenty years worth of healing to his scar. It flattened out, blended in.
Despite the crush I admit to having on the guy, this dream stayed PG. He had his shirt off but we were otherwise clothed. It was very intimate but not sexual.

So I worked up the nerve to tell him about the dream. He was completely stunned and I thought maybe I had offended him but then he explained that he had just been about to ask me a favor.

There is something he wanted to order off the net, these digestive enzymes that are supposed to break down scar tissue. But his computer is in the shop and so he wanted me to order them for him. He and I have done this before with supplements and such. I pay for them online and then he pays me back in "free" treatments. We are sometime able to get some quantity discounts and save on the shipping costs if we pool our orders.

So there he is about to ask me to order a product for him to break down his scar tissue when I tell him I had a dream about healing his scar tissue.

Hmmm.

^^^Hmmm, indeed!

Anyway, last night I had one of my musical extravaganzas. I swear they are worthy of Broadway with dancing and singing and elaborate sets. I only started having them since being on Keppra. For something that has such a bad reputation for causing anger, it sure does have at least one nice side-effect. I just wish I could remember the dreams better, very entertaining. :D

Last edited:
I could still hear scrabbling noises somewhere in the darkness around me. It took a while to find and turn on the light. And there it was.....a mouse. I had knocked it into a metal trashcan next to the bed, and it was now frantically (and unsuccessfully) trying to get out. I took the trashcan outside, released the poor thing into the woods, and then proceeded to NOT sleep for about an hour....

I can only hope I would be as sensible and calm as you in this situation! I think I would have called for my Dad at first, my saviour from my childhood monster-under-the-bed days until I fully came to and realized I was at my place not may parents' :p

Sometimes I'm awakened by a nightmare and I'm too wired/anxious to fall back asleep (because I'm worried that the nightmare will resume). When that happens, I summon up the friendly faces of my grandparents, aunts and father (folks who are no longer alive). That usually chases away the demons and helps me get back to peaceful sleep.

I used to have a lot of scary dreams as a kid, and taught myself to blink hard while in the dream to wake myself up to stop the dream. As long as I woke up enough to roll to my other side, I would not re-enter the dream but if I didn't roll to my other side more often than not I would end up right back in the same scary dream!

That's interesting about rolling to the other side! I wonder why that worked.

Back
Top Bottom