Suggestion for VEEG, EMU?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
Since a couple of you are, or were, in monitoring, do you have any suggestions or insights for making it comfortable? (Beyond the most obvious stuff.) I'm going in next week.

Bring your electronics (iPad, iPhone, laptop) you can use them on wifi, but not hold them while they are charging. By have all of them, I could charge one and use the other, etc.

Matthew, I have never had a VEEG or EMU. What do they involve? Most tests that I have, you just lie down and relax. The technologist does all of the work.

Wouldn't personal electronics intevere with the test?

I hope all goes well with the test. Let us know what happens.

Hi Matthew74,
I was just in an EMU. I brought my laptop and got the free trial month of Netflix so that helped to pass time. Bring books to read or a little craft to do. They make "grown-up" coloring books that pass the time. See if anyone can come visit you- just an hour of playing cards or talking helps to pass the time. If not, maybe you can Skype or Facetime them.
I do not know where your EMU is but when I went I had neuropsych testing that tok up an entire day.

Wishing you all the best!
Contact me if you need anything else.
Emily

Personally I couldn't use my laptop strapped down to a table. I hated the entire experience.

Matthew, I have never had a VEEG or EMU. What do they involve?

Ruth, That's when they put you on EEG and video in the hospital for a week. They take you off your meds and try to record a seizure. You probably knew that.

Last edited:
Emily: Netflix and coloring books are an awesome idea! I have a huge Crayola set I got from my sister somewhere in a box (I think). Never used it. Now if I only knew where it was... I know where my Dad's slide rule is, but that doesn't seem to help.

TopCat: "Personally I couldn't use my laptop strapped down to a table. I hated the entire experience." LOL. Somehow you manage to express so much, so vividly, in so few words.

Last edited:
Ruth, That's when they put you on EEG and video in the hospital for a week. They take you off your meds and try to record a seizure. You probably knew that.

Actually I did not know that. Thank you for the info. Now, I know why they have never given me a VEEG. I get status seizures. I would go into one. By By Ruth, if I have one.

Since a couple of you are, or were, in monitoring, do you have any suggestions or insights for making it comfortable? (Beyond the most obvious stuff.) I'm going in next week.

*insert dramatic music*
I'm going in next week for a veeg too!!!!! The dread, anxiety, all that is coming forth. good luck! i hope you have activity and your stay is short :)

Pricilla:

I'm starting Friday. We can have a contest to see who has the first full-on seizure (from their start date). :pop:

- Matthew

TopCat, were you really strapped down? That's horrible. In bed, yes I was. padded side rails, and all that. But certainly not strapped down. My goodness. That sounds barbaric.

Personally I couldn't use my laptop strapped down to a table. I hated the entire experience.

I think it was the laptop that was strapped down to a table. I do not think that Topcat was strapped down. They do not do that to patients.

NO I was strapped down to some kind of table. I didn't see the necessity of this at all. Maybe if my neurologist had explained the procedure in advance I would have been more prepared. I don't know why they are so concerned that a person might fall down heck as any one who has Tonic-clonic seizures knows that's just part of life.

Oh, Topcat, I'm so sorry. That really does sound simply barbaric, retro to the 1940's mental health type stuff. How long ago did you have the veeg? At the least I hope the monitoring gave you and your doc some VERY useful data.

Susan

I only needed to be there one night because I kind of freaked out and kept having seizures they got a lot of information.
You might want to ask your neurologist if you can have an in home ambulatory EEG.

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you meant the laptop. Strapped to a table? That's not funny, I'd hate that too.

The Mayo video for Jacksonville shows a belt they put around your waist in bed. I didn't like that, especially coming off of back surgery. I imagine its supposed to keep you from wandering off in a complex partial, but it struck me wrong too. I'll give it a full write up.

NO I was strapped down to some kind of table.

I have never been strapped down for any procedures. My first one was in 1949.

That is barbaric and uncalled for by your doctor.

I am so sorry that you had to go through that.

Back
Top Bottom