Today in Rock n Roll history

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

local heros

I like your rock trivia thread. Do you have local heros that have contributed to the music scene, and improved it?

Today in the History of Rock.......

Lester Flatt (guitar) and Earl Scruggs (banjo) join Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys. After a three-year stint, they leave in 1948 to form their own group, the Foggy Mountain Boys.

Fats Domino releases "Ain't That a Shame," previously popularized by Gene Autry and Glenn Miller. Domino's version tops the R&B chart for 11 weeks, eventually entering the pop charts in mid-July. It is the first in a string of 37 crossover hits for Domino during the next eight years.

Frankie Avalon teams up with Annette Funicello to star in 'Beach Party' movies through the 1960s.

Etta James hits #4 on the R&B chart and #39 on the pop chart with "Something's Got A Hold On Me".

Melanie hits #36 with "Bitter Bad".

Roxy Music hits #10 in the UK with 'For Your Pleasure'.

Anne Murray hits #7 with "Danny's Song".

TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia) (MFSB featuring The Three Degrees) was a hit.

Kansas hits #6 with "Dust in the Wind".

OMD hits #5 in the UK with "Locomotion".

no more history?

I like the rock history more than the country history. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks. I don't have anything on local heros that have contributed to the music scene.

Heartbreak Hotel (Elvis Presley) was a hit.

Twilight Time (The Platters) was a hit.

Good Luck Charm (Elvis Presley) was a hit.

Rounded out by drummer Dewey Martin, Buffalo Springfield makes their stage debut as the opening act for the Byrds on a run of dates at colleges in Southern California.

Over 100,000 people march on the UN headquarters in NYC in protest of the Vietnam War.

"Jimmy Mack," by Martha and the Vandellas, tops the R&B chart and becomes the girl group's sixth Top Ten pop hit.

Led Zeppelin hits #47 with "Rock and Roll".

Dennis Coffey hits #18 with "Taurus".

Yes hits #13 in the US with "Roundabout."

Robera Flack hits #1 with "The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face."

Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree (Dawn featuring Tony Orlando) was a hit.

Knock On Wood (Ami Stewart) was a hit.

Billy Joel is hospitalized for a month after the motorcycle he's riding is broadsided by a car on Long Island. Despite multiple fractures of the left hand, the pianist returns to work on 'The Nylon Curtain'. The lushly produced concept album about America's "diminishing horizons" is released in July.

Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now) (Phil Collins) was a hit.

Nick of Time, Bonnie Raitt's first album for Capitol Records, enters the album chart. Produced by Don Was, it is one of the major success stories of the year, rising to #1 and minor hits in "Have a Heart" and "Nick of Time."

Poison hits #10 with "Your Mama Don't Dance"

MTV Asia launches its MTV News service in Singapore.

The Complete Stax-Volt Singles, Vol. 2: 1968-1971, a nine-CD box set, is released.

Tricky hits #28 in the UK with "Black Steel".

King Crimson releases 'Thrak'.

Joey Ramone dies of lymphatic cancer in New York.

Mary Isabel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien (a.k.a. Dusty Springfield) is born in London.

Chet Atkins plays guitar on “Heartbreak Hotel,” Elvis Presley’s RCA debut single.

Koko Taylor’s recording of “Wang Dang Doodle,” written and produced by Willie Dixon, enters the R&B chart, where it will peak at #4.

The Move becomes ELO.

The Ramones’ self-titled first album, the initial volley in the punk-rock movement, is released. By contrast to all the big-budget pomp-rock albums of the mid-Seventies, 'The Ramones' cost only $6,000 to make.

10cc hits #5 in the US "The Things We Do For Love".

Heaven 17 hits #2 in the UK with "Temptation".

Like a Prayer (Madonna) was a hit.

'Rumours', by Fleetwood Mac, is certified by the RIAA for sales of 18 million copies.

Willie Dixon forms the Big Three Trio with pianist/singer Leonard “Baby Doo” Caston and guitarist Bernardo Dennis (replaced a year later by Ollie Crawford). They sing blues and standards and travel widely.

Eddie Cochran is killed and Gene Vincent is injured when their speeding taxi runs off the road en route to London's Heathrow Airport.

Jackie Wilson #20 "Please Tell Me Why".

Etta James hits #30 with "Trust In Me".

The Bay of Pigs invasion ends in a defeat for the Cuban exiles who had attempted to invade Cuba and overthrow Castro's regime.

Duane Eddy hits #39 with "Theme From Dixie".

Paul Revere & the Raiders hit #38 with "Like, Long Hair".

Etta James hits #2 on the R&B chart with "At Last", #4 on the R&B chart and #30 (4/17) on the pop chart with "Trust In Me" and #6 on the R&B chart and #39 (9/04) on the pop chart with "Don't Cry, Baby".

'McCartney' on which the ex-Beatle played all the parts, is released.

'First Step,' the first album by the re-formed Small Faces, with Rod Stewart and Ron Wood having replaced vocalist/guitarist Steve Marriott, is released.

George Martin enters the studio to begin work on 'Holiday', the first of seven albums he produces for America.

Kiss hits #31 with "Shout It Out Loud".

Kiss hits #31 in the US with "Shout It Out Loud."

Don't Leave Me This Way (Thelma Houston) was a hit.

Van Halen hits #12 with "(Oh) Pretty Woman".

Iron Maiden's 'The Number of the Beast' enters the UK charts at #1.

Come On Eileen (Dexys Midnight Runners) was a hit.

Felix Pappalardi of Mountain and Cream, is shot and killed by his wife.

Where Do Broken Hearts Go (Whitney Houston) was a hit.

Ugly Kid Joe hits #7 with "Cat's In the Cradle".

MTV presents "MTV Unplugged Premiere Week," featuring debut performances by the Cranberries, Hole and live. Also included is an exclusive interview with Courtney Love, front woman of Hole, and "MTV News: Inside Unplugged," a behind-the-scenes look at the series from its inception through the present.

MTV launches a national television advertising campaign featuring "Jimmy the Cab Driver." The campaign is composed of ten spots which look at different elements of the wonderful world of MTV from Jimmy's perspective.

Linda McCartney dies of breast cancer at age 56.

Louis Jordan hits #1 on the R&B chart and #6 on the pop chart with "Caldonia."

Ivory Joe Hunter hits #4 on the R&B chart with "I Quit My Pretty Mama".

The Moonglows hit #5 on the R&B chart with "Please Send Me Someone To Love" on Chess records.

Barrett Strong hits #23 with "Money (That's What I Want)".

'Lawrence of Arabia', directed by David Lean and starring Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif, is released.

Shelley Fabares, know for her role on 'The Donna Reed Show' goes to #1 with her debut single, "Johnny Angel."

Game Of Love (Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders) was a hit.

The first major rock musical, 'Hair', opens in New York, bringing hippies (and nudity) to Broadway.

U.S. troops in Vietnam peak at 550,000.

Norman Greenbaum hits #3 with "Spirit In the Sky".

"Get Up I Feel Like Being Like a Sex..." by James Brown hit #15.

James Brown hits #15 with "Hot Pants".

Echo & the Bunnymen hits #37 in the UK with "Crocodiles".

MTV premieres the "Hands Across America" video, the theme song for the May 25 fundraising project to combat homeless and hunger in America.

MTV premieres the weekly series devoted to heavy metal music and news, "Headbanger's Ball."

A four CD box set documenting the first quarter century of Eric Clapton's career, Crossroads, is released. The 73-track retrospective, which includes rare and previously unreleased material, reaches #34 and goes on to sell more than two million copies.

'Human Touch' and 'Lucky Town', two simultaneously released studio albums by Bruce Springsteen, debut at #2 and #3, respectively.

'The Wall Live: 1980-81,' culled from Pink Floyd's London performances of their all-time favorite work, is released.

April 19th

Alan Price, keyboardist for the Animals, is born.

Bernie Worrel was born.

Charles Brown hits #4 on the R&B chart with "In the Evening When the Sun Goes Down".

Amos Milburn hits #3 on the R&B chart with "Let's Make Christmas Merry, Baby".

Fabian hits #9 with "Turn Me Loose".

Pete Seeger leaves the Weavers after they record a commercial for Lucky Strikes cigarettes over his objections.

Stuck On You (Elvis Presley) was a hit.

Brook Benton hits #1 on the R&B charts and #7 on the pop charts with the Mercury release of "Kiddio."

Tommy James and the Shondells hits #4 with "I Think We're Alone Now".

Jerry Butler hits #4 with "Only the Strong Survive".

ABC (The Jackson Five) was a hit.

Jud Strunk hits #14 with "Daisy A Day".

Al Stewart hits #30 in the US with 'Modern Times'.

AC/DC announces that Brian Johnson will replace Bon Scott.

Judas Priest hits #4 in the UK with 'British Steel'.

Billy Preston & Syreeta hits #4 with "With You I'm Born Again".

President Clinton returns to MTV for "MTV's Enough is Enough Forum With the President." The President talks with an audience of two hundred of 16 to 20 year-old and answers questions about the growing problem of violence in society.

Terrorism strikes in Oklahoma City when a truck bomb destroys the Murrah Federal Building.

The Winans release 'Tomorrow'.

Buddy Johnson hits #6 on the R&B chart with "I'm Just Your Fool".

Duane Eddy hits #30 with "Yep!"

"Foolish Little Girl," the last big hit by the Shirelles, enters the Top Forty, where it will peak at #4.

Van der Graaf Generator releases their debut album, 'The Aerosol Grey Machine'.

Simon and Garfunkel hit #1 with "Mrs. Robinson."

Simon & Garfunkel hit #11 with "Scarborough Fair".

Raymond Lefevre hits #37 with "Ame Caline (Soul Coaxing)".

MFSB/Three Degrees hit #1 with "TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)".

Mike Oldfield hits #3 in the US with 'Tubular Bells'.

Roxy Music reaches #20 in the UK with 'Greatest Hits.'

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ 'Let Me Up (I’ve Had Enough)' is released. It includes “Jammin’ Me” (#18).

MTV and Fox present "A Concert for Life," an AIDS benefit from London's Wembley Stadium held in tribute to the late Queen vocalist Freddie Mercury who died of AIDS in November 1991. Organized by the surviving members of Queen, it features appearances by Elton John, Guns ‘n Roses, Def Leppard, Metallica and George Michael. Proceeds from the concert go to AIDS charities nationwide.

Roy Brown hits #1 on the R&B chart with the Deluxe release of "Long About Midnight."

The Platters hit #1 on the R&B chart and #1 on the pop chart with "Twilight Time" and #3 on the R&B chart and #1 (1/19/59) on the pop chart with "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes." Both singles are released on Mercury Records.

Arthur Alexander hits #24 with "You Better Move On".

I Will Follow Him (Little Peggy March) was a hit.

Tom Paxton's 'Ramblin' Boy' is released.

Dusty Springfield hosts a British TV special entitled "The Sound of Motown." She duets with Martha Reeves (of Martha and the Vandellas) on "Wishin' and Hopin'," an American hit for Dusty Springfield the previous year.

Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention release 'Uncle Meat,' a sprawling and largely instrumental double-album masterwork.

Peter Gabriel hits #68 with "Solsbury Hill".

Bon Jovi hits #39 with "Runaway".

Echo & the Bunnymen hit #30 in the UK with "Silver".

Marking his return to Reprise Record, Neil Young releases 'This Note's for You,' a bluesy, swinging album featuring a full horn section.

Kiss hits #8 with "Forever".

MTV presents the nominations for the second annual "MTV Movie Awards" on a "MTV Movies Award Nomination Special." Chris Connelly of MTV is joined by special guest Demi Moore to host the show.

MTV announces the launch of its sixth international network, MTV Mandarin. The channel is targeted to 12-34 year-old Chinese audiences in Taiwan, China, Singapore and Honk Kong. The 24-hour service will be distributed to more than 2.5 million cable television homes in Taiwan.

James Jamerson moves to Detroit and takes up the bass.

Bobby "Blue" Bland hits #1 on the R&B chart with "That's the Way Love Is".

John officially changes his name to John Ono Lennon.

'Osmium', the first album by Parliament, is released.

Kiss hits #39 with "Rocket Ride".

Heart of Glass (Blondie) was a hit.

The British trio Motorhead debuts on US chart with 'Iron Fist'.

MTV premieres first global series, "Buzz." A collection of lightening fast edits, "Buzz" incorporates international news items with music, media, art, culture and interviews from around the world.

A new album by the Bee Gees, 'Still Waters', is released as the group celebrates the 30th anniversary of its first hit. They undertake an 18-month world tour.

'Love, Janis,' a musical play based on actual letters sent to family members by Janis Joplin, opens off-Broadway at New York's Village Theater.

Roy Orbison was born.

Ivory Joe Hunter releases three singles on King Records: "Waiting In Vain" (R&B #5), "Guess Who" (R&B #2) and "Jealous Heart" (R&B #2).

"Tell Me So," by the Orioles, enters the R&B chart. It will be their second #1 hit in less than a year.

The Isley Brothers hit #12 with "This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You)".

'Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie Together in Concert,' a live collaboration between two generations of folk-music legends, is released. It will be followed by another, 'Precious Friends,' in 1982.

Sweet Forgiveness enters the album chart. It yields a minor hit (Bonnie Raitt's first) with her cover of Del Shannon's "Runaway," and rises to #25. It is her first gold record and remains her best-selling album until Nick of Time.

Spandau Ballet hits #1 in the UK with "True".

Kajagoogoo hits #5 in the US with "Too Shy".

Human League hits #2 in the UK with "(Keep Feeling) Fascination".

"Streets of Philadelphia," Bruce Springsteen's contribution to the film AIDS-themed film 'Philadelphia', becomes his first Top Ten hit since "Tunnel of Love" in 1987.

Oasis' first hit "Supersonic" reaches #31.

Pink Floyd release 'The Division Bell,' the fourth #1 album of their career. The ensuing live album 'Pulse,' which appears a year later, will become the fifth.

April 24th

Doug "Cosmo" Clifford was born.

Joe Liggins hits #1 on the R&B chart and #13 on the pop chart with "The Honeydripper," #2 on the R&B chart with "Left A Good Deal In Mobile," and #2 on the R&B chart and #12 on the pop chart with "Got A Right To Cry." All three songs are Exclusive singles.

Good Lovin' (The Young Rascals) was a hit.

The Move hits #7 in the UK with "Brontosaurus".

Alice Cooper hits #21 with "Eighteen".

'Wings at the Speed of Sound' hits the top of the U.S. album chart, where it will remain for seven weeks.

The Commodores hit #5 with "Sweet Love".

Beat It (Michael Jackson) was a hit.

'Full Moon Fever,' Tom Petty’s first solo album, is released. It sells 3 million copies and yields the hit singles “I Won’t Back Down” (#12), “Runnin’ Down a Dream” (#23), “Free Fallin’” (#7) and “A Face in the Crowd” (#46).

Jerry Leiber was born.

Stu Cook was born.

Bill Black's Combo hits #9 with "White Silver Sands".

Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter (Herman's Hermits) was a hit.

Van Morrison hits #39 with "Come Running".

The Allan Arkush-directed 'Rock ‘n’ Roll High School,' featuring the Ramones on the soundtrack and in the movie, premieres in Los Angeles.

Emperor Hirohto dies.

The reunited Eagles perform live at Warner Burbank Studios for an MTV special that is aired the following November.

Neil Young releases 'Silver & Gold,' one of his most intimate and personal albums.

Duane Eddy is born in Corning, New York.

Traffic makes their US debut at the Fillmore East.

Edwin Starr hits #6 with "Twenty-Five Miles".

Studio 54 opens in New York.

Morning Train (Sheena Easton) was a hit.

(I Just) Died In Your Arms Tonight (Cutting Crew) was a hit.

'Where It All Begins,' another solid album of new material from the Allman Brothers Band, is released.

Syd Nathan is born in Cincinnati, Ohio.

The Virtues hit #5 with "Guitar Boogie Shuffle".

Martha and the Vandellas make the charts with "Come and Get These Memories" (#6 R&B, #29, pop).

"Don't Say Goodnight and Mean Goodbye" by the Shirelles goes to #26.

"Forever Came Today" by Diana Ross and the Supremes peaks at #28.

Leonard Cohen releases 'The Songs of Leonard Cohen'.

The Sweet Inspirations hit #18 with "Sweet Inspiration".

Judy Collins hits #8 with "Both Sides Down".

"Mighty Mighty" becomes Earth, Wind & Fire's first single to crack the pop Top Forty. They'd first entered the R&B Top Forty in July 1973 with "Evil."

Jim Croce hits #9 with "I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song."

He Don't Love You (Like I Love You) (Tony Orlando & Dawn) was a hit.

Addicted to Love (Robert Palmer) was a hit.

Wynonie Harris hits #1 on the R&B chart with the King release of "Good Rockin' Tonight."

Mahalia Jackson's recording of "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" enters Billboard's Top 100 singles chart—an unlikely feat for a gospel song. It peaks at #69.

"Every Night I Pray" by the Chantels hits #39.

King Curtis hits #1 on the R&B chart and #17 on the pop chart with "Soul Twist".

Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsies "The Cry of Love" tour begins at the Forum in Los Angeles. Mitch Mitchell is back on drums.

Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side," produced by David Bowie, hits #16.

Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' hits #1 in the US during a record-breaking 741-week US chart stretch.

The Loco-Motion (Grand Funk) was a hit.

Pioneering FM disk jockey Tom Donahue dies.

Michael Gore hits #84 with "Theme from 'Terms of Endearment'".

Duran Duran hits #1 in the UK with "The Reflex".

Motley Crue hits #8 with "Without You".

Carl Gardner was born.

Bob Dylan, backed by the Hawks (better known as The Band), perform in Stockholm, Sweden. Six more weeks of dates follow across Europe in what will come to be regarded as one of rock’s most historic tours.

Memphis recording studios are generating $30 million a year. Two-thirds of the business is attributed to Stax Records.

ELO hits #17 with "Sweet Talkin' Woman".

Reunited (Peaches & Herb) was a hit.

Def Leppard hits #12 with "Rocket"

MTV premieres "Earth to MTV," an international video music show featuring hit videos from around the world.

Perez "Prez" hits #1 with "Cherry Pink and Blossom White".

Brenda Lee cuts 256 sides for Decca Records by the time she is 21. This includes "Sweet Nothin's" which peaked at #4 on both the US and UK charts.

"Good Lovin'," a spirited remake of a song by the Olympics, becomes the Rascals' first #1 hit.

Friend and Lover hit #10 with "Reach Out of the Darkness".

Al Stewart hits #40 in the UK with 'Zero She Flies'.

Muddy Waters died of a heart attack in Westmont, IL.

McKinley Morganfield "Muddy Waters" dies of a heart attack at the age of sixty-eight in Chicago. Morganfield is buried at the Restvale Cemetery in Alsip, Illinois. The epitaph on the burial marker reads: "McKinley Morganfield, 1915 - 1983, The Mojo is Gone The Master Has Won."

Tears For Fears hits #5 in the UK with "Pale Shelter".

Scorpions' 'Love at First Sting' becomes their first to be certified platinum.

'Southern Accents,' Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers sixth album, is released. Coproduced by Dave Stewart (of Eurythmics), it yields the #13 hit "Don't Come Around Here No More."

Aerosmith hits #3 with "Angel".

Ralph Bass was born.

Jerry Wexler, a former Billboard magazine writer, joins Atlantic. He soon begins producing records with Ertegun.

Chuck Berry signs with Chess Records, landing a contract on the strength of his songwriting. Label head Leonard Chess is particularly impressed with Berry's version of an old country & western song, "Ida Red," which he's rewritten as "Maybellene."

Sun releases John Cash's "I Walk the Line."

Carl Perkins' "Blue Suede Shoes" becomes Sun's first Certified million-seller.

Chuck Berry's first LP, After School Session, is released. It contains such classics as "School Day," "Too Much Monkey Business," "Brown Eyed Handsome Man" and "Havana Moon." Neither it nor its six successors—One Dozen Berrys, Berry Is On Top, Rockin' At the Hops, New Juke Box Hits, Chuck Berry Twist and More Chuck Berry—will make Billboard's album charts, as rock and roll is still largely a singles medium.

While on tour in England, Lewis is attacked by the press, who are outraged by his marriage. The furor carries back to the U.S. where he is blacklisted from radio and bookings are cancelled.

U.S. pilot Gary Powers, flying a reconnaissance mission over the U.S.S.R., is shot down and captured by the Soviets. The U.S. government's initial claim that the U-2 was a civilian craft is contradicted by Powers' confession while in custody. President Eisenhower shortly announces the suspension of spy flights over the U.S.S.R.

Jerry Lee Lewis' last Top Forty hit of the rock and roll era, a blistering version of Ray Charles' "What'd I Say," peaks at #30.

Ray Charles hits #8 with "One Mint Julep".

Herman's Hermits hit Number One in the U.S. with "Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter." "I'm Henry VIII, I Am" reaches Number One in August.

At the height of the British Invasion, 'Del Shannon Sings Hank Williams', a tribute album to the late country & western legend, is released.

Monday, Monday (The Mamas & the Papas) was a hit.

'Two Yanks in England' is recorded in London with eight pseudonymous songs and musical backing from the Hollies, who are among the Everly Brothers' most devoted fans. Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones (later of Led Zeppelin) also participate in the sessions.

Elvis Presley marries Priscilla Beaulieu, who he met eight and a half years earlier during his tour of duty in Germany, at the Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas. Their daughter, Lisa Marie Presley, is born exactly nine months later, on February 1, 1968.

Apple Corps, Ltd. begins operating in London. It is the Beatles' attempt to take control of their own creative and economic destiny. Later that month, John invites Yoko to his house in Weybridge. They make experimental tapes all night.

John Lennon and Yoko Ono exhibit their first official joint venture at the Arts Lab in London. Soon after, they plant acorns outside Coventry Cathedral as a conceptual "living arts sculpture."

Diana Ross leaves the Supremes to go solo.

Aretha Franklin's recording of "Bridge Over Troubled Water," which includes King Curtis on sax, tops the R&B singles chart.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer hit #48 in the US with "Lucky Man".

'The London Chuck Berry Sessions' is released. One side was recorded in a London studio on February 5th with members of the Faces, while the other comprised material from a concert in Lanchester two days earlier, including "My Ding-a-Ling." It became Berry's best-selling album, reaching #8 on the Billboard chart and earning gold-record status.

Pursued by Clive Davis shortly before the latter's firing, Billy Joel signs to Columbia Records. He writes his first album in Malibu that fall.

A drug-free Eric Clapton launches his solo career in earnest, recording 461 Ocean Boulevard in Miami. Both the album and its key single, "I Shot the Sheriff," go to #1. Virtually reinventing himself in the space of one album, Clapton takes few guitar solos and adopts a more laid-back stylistic demeanor.

Willie Nelson teams up with Waylon Jennings to record country's first certified platinum album, 'Wanted: The Outlaws'.

'Turnstiles', Billy Joel's ambitious fourth album, offers a brace of FM radio and concert favorites: "New York State of Mind," "Summer, Highland Falls" and "Say Goodbye to Hollywood."

Al Green becomes the Rev. Al Green with his acquisition of the Full Gospel Tabernacle Church in Memphis.

Hotel California (The Eagles) was a hit.

Eric Clapton's biggest-selling album of the Seventies, Slowhand, finds him recording at London's Olympic Studios for the first time since Fresh Cream, the first Cream album. Slowhand yields Top Forty hits in "Lay Down Sally" (#3) and "Wonderful Tonight" (#16), and an FM favorite and live staple in "Cocaine."

Subterranean Pop, a Xeroxed fanzine devoted to underground American music, publishes its first issue.

'Tug of War', which reunites Paul McCartney with Beatles producer George Martin, is released to glowing reviews and strong sales. A duet with Stevie Wonder, "Ebony and Ivory," tops the singles chart for seven weeks.

Harold Faltermeyer hits #3 with "Axel F".

Wishing Well (Terence Trent D'Arby) was a hit.

'Behind the Mask', which finds Lindsey Buckingham replaced with Rick Vito and Billy Burnette, reaches #33 in the U.S. A month earlier, it entered the U.K. chart at #1.

Hanson hits #1 in the Australia with "MMMBop".

Back
Top Bottom