Today in Rock n Roll history

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Today in the History of Rock.......

Ben E. King hits #4 with "Stand By Me".

Ben E. King hits #1 on the R&B chart and #4 (6/12) on the pop chart with "Stand By Me" and #10 on the R&B chart and #18 (9/04) on the pop chart with "Amor".

"Back In My Arms Again" tops the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, making the Supremes the only American group to release five Number One hits in a row.

Yes is formed.

Janis Joplin debuts a new band, Full-Tilt Boogie, at Freedom Hall in Louisville, Kentucky.

'Some Time in New York City,' a double album by John Lennon backed by the New York rock group Elephant’s Memory is released.

Suzi Quatro tours Britain in support of Slade.

Queen hits #16 with "You're My Best Friend".

Dreams (Fleetwood Mac) was a hit.

13 of the 23 #1 songs are disco, including Rod Stewart's "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?", Blondie's "Heart Of Glass", and Michael Jackson's "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"; "Disco Demolition Night" at Chicago's Comiskey Park, hosted by Steve Dahl, spearheads "Disco Sucks" movement

Van Halen hits #15 with "Dance the Night Away".

Together Forever (Rick Astley) was a hit.

The CD version of Rod Stewart’s “Unplugged” session, entitled 'Unplugged...And Seated,' hits #2 for the first of five weeks.

Johnny Ace hits #1 on the R&B chart with "My Song".

Bobby Darin hits #2 with "Dream Lover".

Etta James hits #2 on the R&B chart and #33 on the pop chart with the Modern single "All I Could Do Was Cry."

Carla Thomas hits #9 on the R&B chart with "I'll Bring It Home To You".

Gene Pitney’s “(The Man Who Shot) Liberty Valance,” written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David for a Western starring John Wayne and James Stewart, reaches #4.

Barry and Greenwich's "Chapel of Love," recorded by the Dixie Cups, and "Leader of the Pack," recorded by the Shangri-Las, reach #1.

Dionne Warwick hits #6 with "Walk On By".

Solomon Burke hits #33 with "Goodbye Baby (Baby Goodbye)".

I Can't Help Myself (The Four Tops) was a hit.

Buffalo Springfield appears at the Monterey Pop Festival, with the temporarily departed Neil Young replaced by guitarist Doug Hastings and joined onstage by David Crosby of the Byrds.

Mountain hits #21 with "Mississippi Queen".

Moody Blues hits #21 in the US with "Question".

It's Too Late (Carole King) was a hit.

Clyde McPhatter died on June 13, 1972 in Teaneck, NJ.

Lemmy is fired from Hawkwind.

Depeche Mode hits #11 in the UK with "New Life".

Chicago house releases include "Phuture Trax" by Phuture, Sleazy D's "I've Lost Control, and Maurice's "This is Acid".

MTV's "Choose of Lose" political awareness campaign covers the Democratic National Convention direct from Madison Square Garden in New York City. Tabitha Soren is joined by guest reporters Dave Mustaine of Megadeath and rapper MC Lyte.

MTV broadcasts "The 1996 MTV Movie Awards," co-hosted by Janeane Garofalo and Ben Stiller. The Best Movie Award goes to "Seven."

'The City of Angels' soundtrack, featuring Peter Gabriel's "Grieve", hits #1 in the US.

Renaldo "Obie" Benson was born.

The rock and roll classic "Johnny B. Goode," written by Chuck Berry about pianist/sidekick Johnnie Johnson, makes the Top Ten.

The Coasters hits #14 on the R&B chart with the Atlantic Records single "Wake Me, Shake Me."

'Workingman’s Dead,' a landmark album by the Grateful Dead, is released. It is followed only five months later by 'American Beauty,' another classic studio album.

Roxy Music is formed.

America hits #1 with "Sister Golden Hair".

Stars on 45 (Stars on 45) was a hit.

Head to Toe (Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam) was a hit.

MTV Brazil premieres "MTV a Go Go," a Brazilian version of "House of Style."

Lead Belly performs his last concert.

Lloyd Price hits #2 with "Personality".

James Brown hits #18 with "Prisoner of Love".

Aretha Franklin hits #7 with "Think".

Stylistics hit #2 with "You Make Me Feel Brand New".

Love Will Keep Us Together (The Captain & Tennile) was a hit.

Hot Chocolate hits #3 with "You Sexy Thing".

L.T.D. hits #4 with "(Every Time I Turn Around) Back in Love Again".

MTV broadcasts the entire Amnesty International concert from Giants Stadium in New York.

MTV premieres its first ever action/adventure series "Dead at 21." The show follows the lives of two 20 year olds, Ed and Maria, who are framed for murder and are running for their lives. Furthermore, Ed believes the government has planted microchips in his brain, and that he will self-destruct on his 21st birthday.

"The 1995 MTV Movie Awards" airs from the Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, California. Hosted by Courtney Cox and Jon Lovitz, the show receives a 3.7 rating, the highest in the show's history.

George Martin is knighted in his British homeland by Queen Elizabeth II.

Lamont Dozier was born.

"Zorro" by the Chordettes hits #17.

Two months after the car crash that devastated rock and roll fans, Gene Vincent's "Pistol Packin' Mama," enters the British singles chart. Rising to #16, it becomes his highest-charting U.K. hit.

Ben E. King hits #2 on the R&B chart and #11 on the pop chart with "Don't Play That Song (You Lied)".

The Monterey Pop Festival opens, introducing Janis Joplin, the Who and the Jimi Hendrix Experience to the American mainstream.

This Guy's In Love With You (Herb Albert) was a hit.

'Trout Mask Replica,' by Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band, is released. This avant-garde classic is produced by Frank Zappa and released on his Straight record label.

Suzi Quatro hits #1 in the UK with "Can the Can."

Supertramp hits #6 in the US with "The Logical Song".

OMD hits #11 in the UK with "Talking Loud and Clear".

Heaven (Bryan Adams) was a hit.

ELP reforms (with Cozy Powell on drums to replace Carl Palmer) and releases 'Emerson, Lake & Powell' which reaches #23 in the US.

MTV holds the first in a series of individual "Choose of Lose" forums with Arkansas Governor and Presidential candidate Bill Clinton. MTV's Tabitha Soren and CNN's Catherine Crier are the moderators. Governor Clinton takes questions from a group of two hundred 18 to 24 year olds in Los Angeles who ask the governor about his positions on the issues that matter most to them. Invitations are also extended to President Bush and Ross Perot.

The "Free Your Mind" campaign continues with "Hate Rock: An MTV News Special Report. The second special in the two-year series, "Hate Rock," takes a look at "Oi!" music and its link to a growing movement of racial hatred and violence throughout the world. The special is hosted by Kurt Loder.

Russian electronics genius Leon Theremin develops the first synthesizer.

Gregg Rolie was born.

Too Young (Nat "King" Cole) was a hit.

Big Brother and the Holding Company perform a show-stopping set on the second day of the Monterey International Pop Festival. Vocalist Janis Joplin becomes an overnight sensation.

Jefferson Airplane performs at the Monterey International Pop Festival as its second album, 'Surrealistic Pillow,' is peaking at #3.

Graham Nash and David Crosby release "Immigration Man."

“Big Four Poster Bed,” the latest in a growing string of country hits, is released. Since 1957, Lee has charted hit singles in nearly every year – and is not yet 30 years old.

Van der Graaf Generator's Pete Hammill releases solo project under the name Rikki Nadir, Nadir's Big Chance, which is cited by Johnny Rotten as inspiration for punk rock.

Heart hits #24 with "Heartless".

"Shadow Dancing" by Andy Gibb hits #42 on the UK charts.

Brian Eno releases Before and After Science.

Pink Floyd gives its 24th and final performance of 'The Wall,' in Dortmund, Germany.

The Reflex (Duran Duran) was a hit.

Culled from roughly 100 songs recorded over the previous year and a half, Bruce Springsteen's 'Born in the U.S.A.' is released. It becomes one of the biggest albums of the Eighties, remaining at #1 for seven weeks and selling more than 15 million copies. It also launches seven Top Ten singles: "Dancing in the Dark" (#2), "Cover Me" (#7), "Born in the U.S.A." (#9), "I'm On Fire" (#6), "Glory Days" (#5), "I'm Goin' Down" (#9) and "My Hometown" (#6).

"I'll Be Loving You (Forever)" by New Kids on the Block hits #1.

Lita Ford & Ozzy Osbourne hit #8 with "Close My Eyes Forever".

Chemical Brothers hit #17 in the UK with "Leave Home".

Morganfield receives the nickname "Muddy Waters" as a result of his grandmother calling him "little muddy baby" because he like to play in dirty water puddles and a muddy creek. "Waters" was added later, thus resulting in the moniker Muddy Waters.

Tommy Hunt of the Flamingos is born.

James Paul McCartney is born in Liverpool, England.

Britain's war minister, Lord John Profumo, resigns his post in the wake of scandal due to his relationship with Christine Keeler, a call girl involved with a known Soviet spy.

Number of British singles in Billboard's Top 100: 14

Jimi Hendrix performs at the Monterey International Pop Festival. Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones introduces him as "the most exciting performer I've ever heard." At the end of his performance, he burns his Fender Stratocaster. "The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice," Jimi said. "You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar. I'd just finished painting it that day and was really into it." Literally overnight, the Jimi Hendrix Experience become one of the most popular acts in rock music.

The Mamas and the Papas close the final evening of the Monterey International Pop Festival.

Foreigner hits #4 with "Feels Like the First Time".

Lita Ford hits #12 with "Kiss Me Deadly".

Van Halen hits #34 with "Black and Blue".

Satisfied (Richard Marx) was a hit.

Lech Walesa is elected President of Poland in the country's first free election since the Second World War.

The Complete Stax-Volt Singles, Vol. 3: 1972-1975, a ten-CD box set, is released.

Tom DeVito was born.

Ruth Brown hits #4 with the Atlantic Records release "So Long."

Nat King Cole Trio w/Nellie Lutcher hits #8 on the R&B chart with "For You, My Love".

The Rolling Stones score their first #1 on the American charts with "Satisfaction".

Paperback Writer (The Beatles) was a hit.

Carole King hits #1 with "I Feel the Earth Move."

Almost exactly a year to the day after the appearance of 'Gasoline Alley', Rod Stewart releases his self-produced masterpiece, 'Every Picture Tells a Story.' It tops the Billboard album chart for four weeks.

Rainbow hits #40 with "Stone Cold."

Gary Numan hits #9 in the UK with "We Take Mystery (to Bed)".

Genesis hits #3 in the US with 'Invisible Touch'.

Foolish Beat (Debbie Gibson) was a hit.

The Allman Brothers Band release 'Shades of Two Worlds,' one of the strongest albums of their career.

Chet Atkins is born in Luttrell, Tennessee.

Billy Guy was born.

Brian Wilson was born.

The Byrds' folk-rock version of Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man" will spend a week at the top of the charts.

Rod Stewart’s second album, 'Gasoline Alley,' enters the U.S. charts, where it will peak at #27. The album contains the favorites “It’s All Over Now,” “Cut Across, Shorty” and the title track.

'Before the Flood,' a live double album by Bob Dylan and The Band, is released.

Slave hits #32 with "Slide".

The film The Blues Brothers, which features Ray Charles in the role of a streetwise storeowner, opens across America.

MTV and Fox Broadcasting Company co-present "The MTV/Fox Guide to Summer '92." Cindy Crawford and :In Living Colour" star Tommy Davidson host.

Orb hits #8 in the UK with "Blue Room".

Ray Davies was born.

Joey Kramer of Aerosmith is born.

"Goin' Home" becomes the first of nine #1 hits for Fats Domino on the R&B chart. It is released on Imperial records. Those nine singles will top the R&B chart for a combined 51 weeks between 1952-59, amounting to nearly a full year's worth of chart supremacy!

Joe Turner hits #2 on the R&B chart with the Atlantic single "Corinne Corrina."

Little Willie John hits #11 on the R&B chart with the Kind records single "Let Them Talk."

A World Without Love (Peter & Gordon) was a hit.

Traffic's 'Last Exit' hits #19 in the US.

The Love You Save (Jackson Five) was a hit.

Gary Glitter hits #2 in the UK with "Rock and Roll."

Alice Cooper hits #12 with "Only Women".

Major Harris hits #5 with "Love Won't Let Me Wait".

Michael Murphey hits #3 with "Wildfire".

Carly Simon hits #21 with "Attitude Dancing".

The Brothers Johnson hit #3 with "I'll Be Good to You" and #30 with "Get the Funk Out Ma Face".

'Daylight Again', which contains the Top Ten hit "Wasted on the Way," is released.

Heart hits #10 with "Nothin' At All".

I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) (Whitney Houston) was a hit.

John Lee Hooker dies.

Chris Blackwell is born.

Wynonie Harrie hits #2 on the R&B chart with "Playful Baby."

The Wailers hit #36 with "Tall Cool One".

Barbara Lewis #2 "Hello Stranger".

The Jeff Beck Group, featuring Beck, Rod Stewart, Ron Wood and Mickey Waller, makes its American performance debut at the Fillmore East in New York City.

“Sky Pilot,” by Eric Burdon and the Animals, enters the Top Forty. It is the Animals’ last Top Forty hit in the U.S.

Carly Simon hits #14 "Haven't Got Time For the Pain."

Brian Eno produces the Talking Heads' second album, More Songs About Buildings and Food.

Coming Up (Live at Glasgow) (Paul McCartney & Wings) was a hit.

Billy Joel is the first rock act to perform at New York's Yankee Stadium, selling out the 100,000+ sports venue for back-to-back shows. A concert video, 'Live at Yankee Stadium', is culled from the shows.

MTV Brazil premieres CEP MTV, a daily show with VJ Thunderbird, the most requested by post-card videos show.

Chris Blackwell is born.

Wynonie Harrie hits #2 on the R&B chart with "Playful Baby."

The Wailers hit #36 with "Tall Cool One".

Barbara Lewis #2 "Hello Stranger".

The Jeff Beck Group, featuring Beck, Rod Stewart, Ron Wood and Mickey Waller, makes its American performance debut at the Fillmore East in New York City.

“Sky Pilot,” by Eric Burdon and the Animals, enters the Top Forty. It is the Animals’ last Top Forty hit in the U.S.

Carly Simon hits #14 "Haven't Got Time For the Pain."

Brian Eno produces the Talking Heads' second album, More Songs About Buildings and Food.

Coming Up (Live at Glasgow) (Paul McCartney & Wings) was a hit.

Billy Joel is the first rock act to perform at New York's Yankee Stadium, selling out the 100,000+ sports venue for back-to-back shows. A concert video, 'Live at Yankee Stadium', is culled from the shows.

MTV Brazil premieres CEP MTV, a daily show with VJ Thunderbird, the most requested by post-card videos show.

Bill and Charlie Monroe form the Monroe Brothers, a duet act that plays around the Midwest and Carolinas.

Robert Hunter, lyricist for the Grateful Dead, is born in Arroyo Grande, California.

The record label Exclusive is formed in Los Angeles by New Orleans natives Leon and Otis Rene.

King Records has two #2 R&B hits Bull Moose Jackson's "Little Girl Don't Cry" and "Why Don't You Haul Off and Love Me."

Gene Vincent's "Be-Bop-A-Lula" enters the Top Forty, where it will rise to #7. The song peaks at #16 in the U.K.

One of the great double-sided 45s of the rock and roll era, Sammy Cooke's "Bring It On Home to Me" b/w "Having a Party," is released. Both are huge R&B hits (#2 and #4, respectively), and each also fares well on the pop side (#13, #17).

"Playboy" by the Marvelettes reaches #7.

Elton John answers an ad placed by Liberty Records in Britain’s 'New Musical Express,' thereby setting in motion a chain of events that will result in his teaming up with lyricist Bernie Taupin, his lifetime songwriting collaborator.

The decidedly non-single-oriented Pink Floyd makes their US Top Forty debut with "Money," from 'Dark Side of the Moon.' It reaches #13.

Can releases 'Future Days'.

Sundown (Gordon Lightfoot) was a hit.

Duran Duran hits #1 in the US with "The Reflex".

Slaughter hits #27 with "Up All Night".

“Sacrifice,” from the album 'Sleeping With the Past,' becomes Elton John’s first-ever #1 hit in his British homeland.

"The Real World" premiered its third season. This time, San Francisco became home to the show's seven new cast members, Cory, Pedro, Judd, Mohammed, Puck, Rachel and Pam.

Jeff Beck was born.

Bull Moose Jackson hits #4 on the R&B chart with "I Know Who Threw the Whiskey In the Well."

Mick Fleetwood was born.

John Lennon's second book, 'A Spaniard in the Works', is published.

The Eagles chalk up the first of many hits with "Take It Easy." The song reaches Number Twelve. Three months later, "Witchy Woman" will do even better — Number Nine.

Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) (George Harrison) was a hit.

Having switched labels, James Taylor's first album for Columbia Records, 'JT', is released. It yields hit singles in "Handy Man" and "Your Smiling Face" and becomes Taylor's highest charting album since Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon.

Genesis hits #23 with "Follow You Follow Me".

Peter Gabriel hits #45 in the US with his self-titled second album.

Ring My Bell (Anita Ward) was a hit.

Heaven 17 hits #5 in the UK with "Come Live With Me".

Cinderella hits #20 with "Coming Home".

Johnny Otis has three Savoy hits on the R&B charts. They are "Mambo Boogie" (#4), "Gee Baby" (#2) and "All Nite Long" (#6).

George Michael is born.

"Sweet Talkin' Guy" by the Chiffons charts at #10.

Windy (The Association) was a hit.

Song Sung Blue (Neil Diamond) was a hit.

Marvin Gaye hits #1 with "Got to Give It Up (Pt. I)".

Maynard Ferguson hits #28 with "Gonna Fly Now (Theme From 'Rocky')".

I'm Your Boogie Man (KC & the Sunshine Band) was a hit.

Flock of Seagulls hit #38 in the UK with "Transfer Affection".

Talking Heads’ fifth album, 'Speaking in Tongues,' is released. It becomes their highest-charting album, rising to #15 and launching the Top Ten hit “Burning Down the House.”

Baby Don't Forget My Number (Milli Vanilli) was a hit.

Joining forces as the Other Ones, four surviving members of the Grateful Dead – Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart and Bruce Hornsby – plus four other musicians kick off the “Furthur Festival” tour in Atlanta, Georgia.

Gary U.S. Bonds hits #1 with "Quarter To Three."

Moody Blues forms.

At the height of the "Summer of Love," the Mothers of Invention release 'Absolutely Free,' a dark-themed album from the anti-establishment mind of bandleader Frank Zappa.

Pete Seeger launches the restored sloop 'Clearwater,' which serves as his podium for advancing environmental issues over the next several decades. Among his pet causes is the cleanup of the Hudson River, and to this end General Electric is hauled into court for contaminating the river with PCBs.

Brass Construction hits #14 with "Movin'".

Gonna Fly Now (Billy Conti) was a hit.

Elvis Presley delivers his last live performance, at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Visage hits #12 in the UK with "Night Train".

MTV chooses Kevin Seal as an MTV VJ from more than 1250 college students who entered MTV's nationwide campus VJ search.

Dirty Diana (Michael Jackson) was a hit.

William Orbit hits #59 in the UK with "Water From a Vine Leaf".

The Rock trivia was Very interesting (Thanks!!) I saw That Heather Mentioned All of favorites too However I would like to say a little something. on Elton John's CD "The One" I love the CD but there is one song on it that hits me to the core "The Last Song " reminds me of a family member who played it all the time (And died of AIDS too) I also love Bruce Springsteen too

Back
Top Bottom