Today in Rock n Roll history

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Today in the History of Rock.......

Billy J. Kramer & the Dakotas reach #7 with "Little Children".

The Yardbirds' "For Your Love" enters the Billboard Hot 100 at Number 84. Soon after, Eric Clapton leaves the band and is replaced by Jimmy Page. The song stays on the charts for twelve weeks, peaking at Number Six.

Welcome Back (John Sebastian) was a hit.

Human League hits #12 in the UK with "The Sound of the Crowd".

Tony Bennett unveils MTV's multi-million dollar consumer advertising campaign "Tv...Or MTV?"

Ugly Kid Joe hits #9 with "Everything About You".

MTV Networks announces that it will launch wholly owned and operated channels for the Asian market. The network includes an encrypted Mandarin language service to reach young people on Mandarin-speaking countries including Taiwan, Singapore and China and an English-language service directed primary at young people in South Asia, the Philippines and other countries.

"I Want You Back" by 'N Sync hits #13 in the US.

James Brown is born in Barnwell, South Carolina. He is raised in poverty in Augusta, Georgia, 40 miles away.

Frankie Valli was born.

Booker T. and the M.G.s hit #6 with "Time Is Tight".

The Edwin Hawkins Singers hit #4 with "Oh Happy Day".

The Isley Brothers hit #2 with "It's Your Thing".

American Woman (The Guess Who) was a hit.

Kraftwerk hits US #25 with "Autobahn".

Bruce Springsteen auditions for Columbia Records A&R man John Hammond at his office in New York. He signs with the label a month later.

"Old Man," by Neil Young, peaks at #31 on the pop chart. It is the third and last time Young will crack the Top Forty

Led Zeppelin launches their Swan Song label, which releases their albums and ones by handpicked artists like Bad Company and the Pretty Things.

Kraftwerk hits #25 with "Autobahn".

Conservative Party leader Margaret Thatcher becomes Prime Minister of Britain.

Def Leppard makes its US debut with 'On the Night'.

MTV announces it will launch MTV Productions to produce projects for theatrical release, network syndication and the international marketplace.

'Tellin' Stories' by Charlatans reaches #1.

James Brown turns 70 years old.

"New Spanish Two Step," a vocal version of Bob Willis' 1935 instrumental "Spanish Two Step," enters the country chart, which it will top for 16 weeks.

Gene Vincent and His Blue Caps record "Be-Bop-A-Lula" in Nashville. It is released as the B-side of the single "Woman Love."

Chuck Berry hits #3 on the R&B chart and #32 (5/04) on the pop chart with the Chess single "Almost Grown."

The Chantays hit #4 with "Pipeline".

"I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel to Be Free)" enters the R&B chart, where it will peak at #32. It is Solomon Burke's last solo hit for Atlantic.

Four students are killed as the National Guard fires on a Vietnam War protest at Kent State University.

Grand Funk Railroad hits #1 with "The Loco-Motion"

West End Girls (Pet Shop Boys) was a hit.

Paul Wilson of the Flamingos dies.

MTV announces presentation of Madonna's "1990 Blond Ambition World Tour," and airs live on-air coverage from the U.S. opening weekend in Houston on May 4 and 5.

Four students are killed as the National Guard fires on a Vietnam War protest at Kent State University.

Without getting into the politics of the day, it was a sad day on both sides of the issue that day. Kent State is here in Ohio and this happened on my ninth birthday. Never understood it at the time.

This also inspired the song "Four dead in O-hi-o"

The Happy Organ (Dave "Baby" Cortez) was a hit.

The Shirelles' "Soldier Boy" becomes their first #1 hit, topping the charts for three weeks.

Alan Price announces he is leaving the Animals at the peak of their popularity. He is replaced by Dave Rowberry.

Buffalo Springfield performs its final concert in Long Beach, California.

David Bowie releases 'Aladdin Sane' ("a lad insane"), a further elaboration upon his hard-rocking spaceman persona. It yields the singles "Jean Genie" (#2 UK, #71 US) and "Drive-In Saturday" (#3 UK),

Sweet hits #3 in the US with "Little Willy."

Canadian trio Triumph hits the US charts with its second album, 'Just A Game'.

Peaches & Herb hits #1 with "Reunited".

Human League hits #11 in the UK with "The Lebanon".

Crazy For You (Madonna) was a hit.

Aerosmith hits #9 with "What It Takes".

MTV announces the launch of its seventh international network, MTV Asia. The customized 24-hour English-language channel is targeted to 12-34 year-old audiences in Indonesia, India, the Philippines, Hong Kong and Singapore. With MTV Asia's launch, the service is distributed to more than 5 million television homes in 11 countries.

All I Have to Do Is Dream (The Everly Brothers) was a hit.

"Got to Get You Off of My Mind," written by Solomon Burke about the late Sam Cooke - in whose company he'd been shortly before Cooke was shot to death under mysterious circumstances - is released. It becomes Burke's biggest hit, topping the R&B chart and hitting #22 on the pop chart.

Paul Simon's first solo album, T'he Paul Simon Songbook,' is released in the U.K. on CBS Records. It never sees the light of day in the U.S.

"Somebody to Love," by Jefferson Airplane, enter the Top Forty. It will remain there well into the Summer of Love, peaking at #5.

Jethro Tull hits #3 in the UK with "Living in the Past".

Jackson Browne hits #8 with "Doctor My Eyes".

Joe Tex hits #2 with "I Gotcha".

Iggy Pop and the Stooges release 'Raw Power' which peaks at #184.

Paul Simon's second album, 'There Goes Rhymin' Simon,' is released. It is his best-selling album until 1986's 'Graceland,' producing a pair of singles that each hit #2: "Kodachrome" and "Loves Me Like a Rock."

Hello (Lionel Richie) was a hit.

Winger hits #26 with "Seventeen."

James Taylor inducts Crosby, Stills and Nash into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at a ceremony in Cleveland.

The Bee Gees are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the twelfth annual induction dinner. Brian Wilson is their presenter.

The Rascals are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the twelfth annual induction dinner. Steve Van Zant is their presenter.

Parliament-Funkadelic is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the twelfth annual induction dinner. Prince is their presenter.

Mahalia Jackson is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the twelfth annual induction dinner. Mavis Staples is her presenter.

Bill Monroe is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the twelfth annual induction dinner. Ricky Skaggs and Emmylou Harris are his presenters.

Syd Nathan is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the twelfth annual induction dinner. Seymour Stein is the presenter.

Crosby, Stills & Nash are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Joni Mitchell inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the twelfth annual induction dinner. Shawn Colvin is her presenter.

Buffalo Springfield is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the twelfth annual induction dinner. Tom Petty is their presenter.

The Jackson 5 are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the twelfth annual induction dinner. Diana Ross is their presenter.

Bill Kreutzmann, drummer for the Grateful Dead, is born in Palo Alto, California.

"Just a Little," by the Beau Brummels, becomes a Top Ten hit. It is the second biggest single released on the San Francisco-based Autumn Records, cofounded by legendary deejay Tom Donahue.

"Monday, Monday" hits #1, where it remains for three weeks. It is, according to 'The Billboard Book of Number One Hits', "the first song recorded by a fully sexually integrated group to go to Number One."

If I Can't Have You (Yvonne Elliman) was a hit.

I'll Be There for You (Bon Jovi) was a hit.

MTV Network and HutchVision Limited announces plans to develop and launch an Asian version of MTV to reach 31 countries and more than 2 billion people.

Blur's album 'Parklife' reaches #1.

Allen Toussaint releases 'Connected', his first full-length national release in nearly two decades. It appears on his new label, NYNO Records, which specializes in New Orleans music.

Robert Johnson was born.

Ricky Nelson was born.

Paul Samwell-Smith was born.

Chris Frantz of Talking Heads is born in Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

Brenda Lee records with producer Owen Bradley at his Nashville studio for the first time. He will remain her producer for the next 18 years.

Sound Orchestral hits #10 with "Cast You Fate to the Wind"

The Miracles hit #16 with "Ooh Baby Baby".

Betty Wright hits #6 with "Clean-Up Woman".

The Grateful Dead perform at Barton Hall, at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. Of the 2000+ concerts performed by the group in its lifetime, this one is ranked #1 by Deadheads.

Vangelis hits #1 with "Chariots of Fire - Titles".

Mike Post hits #25 with "Theme from 'Magnum P.I.'".

Huey Lewis plays for the winner of the "MTV House Party" contest at the winner's home in Mt. Clemons, Detroit.

Associates hit #13 in the UK with "Country Club".

Depeche Mode hits #12 in the UK with "The Meaning of Love".

Genesis hits #40 with "Man on the Corner".

Anything For You (Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine) was a hit.

'Get a Grip,' Aerosmith's 11th studio album, debuts at #1. It goes on to sell 7 million copies in the U.S. and more than 10 million worldwide. It also ushers forth another quartet of hits: "Livin' On the Edge" (#18), "Cryin'" (#12), "Amazing" (#24) and "Crazy" (#17).

Dave Prater was born.

Mahalia Jackson popularizes one of Thomas Dorsey's greatest compositions, "There Will Be Peace In the Valley."

Richie Furay was born.

Chet Atkins makes his first recording, “Guitar Blues,” for Bullet Records.

William Martin Joel is born in The Bronx, New York.

Odetta's debut album, 'The Tin Angel', is released.

Jackie Wilson hits #4 on pop and #3 on R&B with "Night".

Jackie Wilson hits #15 on pop and #1 on R&B with "Doggin' Around".

Boogie Fever (Sylvers) was a hit.

'You’re Gonna Get It!,' Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ second album, is released. It climbs to #55 and spins off two singles that just miss the Top Forty: “I Need to Know” (#41) and “Listen to Her Heart” (#59).

The Who hit #18 with "You Better You Bet"

Adam & the Ants hit #1 in the UK with "Stand and Deliver".

Duran Duran hits #37 in the UK with "Careless Memories".

Ebony and Ivory (Paul McCartney with Stevie Wonder) was a hit.

MTV presents coverage of the premiere parties for Madonna's new film "Truth or Dare: On the Road, Behind the Scenes, and In Bed with Madonna." MTV also airs a new interview with Madonna conducted by MTV News anchor Kurt Loder.

Def Leppard hits #15 with "Let's Get Rocked".

Johnny Ace hits #1 on the R&B chart and #17(3/19) on the pop chart with "Pledging My Love" and #7 on the R&B chart with "Anymore".

Paul Hewson (a.k.a. Bono of U2) was born.

My Guy (Mary Wells) was a hit.

The first edition of Frank Zappa's long-running group, the Mothers, performs in Pomona, California.

The Ventures hit #4 with "Hawaii Five-0".

Gary Glitter hits #10 in the UK with "Love Like You and Me."

Lobo hits #27 with "Don't Tell Me Goodnight."

Though Bob Marley has been recording prolifically in his native Jamaica since 1962, Natty Dread is the first album by Marley and the Wailers to make the U.S. charts, reaching #92.

Orchestral Manoeuvres In the Dark hits #13 in the UK with "Messages".

Bette Davis Eyes (Kim Carnes) was a hit.

With Or Without You (U2) was a hit.

Eric Burdon, vocalist for the Animals, is born in Newcastle, England.

Claude Hudson "Butch" Trucks, of the Allman Brothers Band, is born in Jacksonville, Florida.

Dion and the Belmonts hit #5 with "A Teenager In Love".

Solomon Burke's biggest hit to date - "If You Need Me," written by Wilson Pickett - competes with Pickett's own version for chart supremacy. Burke wins, as his version hits #2 on the R&B chart and remains there for five weeks.

The Stooges release their self-titled debut. It peaks at #106.

Willie Mitchell hits #23 with "Soul Serenade".

Arthur Conley hits #14 with "Funky Street".

Melanie hits #31 with "Ring the Living Bell".

Mike Oldfield hits #7 with "Tubular Bells".

Iggy Pop releases 'The Idiot' and it hits #30 in the UK and #32 in the US. The album is produced by David Bowie.

Bob Marley dies of brain, lung and stomach cancer at 11:45 a.m. in Miami, Florida.

Frank Zappa releases four albums in one day: 'Tinseltown Rebellion' (a double album), 'Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar,' 'Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar Some More,' and 'Return of the Son of Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar.'

Alan Parsons Project hits #15 in the US with "Don't Answer Me".

Greatest Love of All (Whitney Houston) was a hit.

Nelson hits #14 with "More Than Ever".

Nelson Mandela is inaugurated as President of South Africa.

'Blood on the Dance Floor: HIStory in the Mix,' by Michael Jackson, is released. Containing eight remixes from 1995's 'HIStory: Past, Present, and Future, Book 1' and five new songs, it sells only one million copies.

The only single of Billie Holiday's ever to chart, "Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be), enters Billboard's R&B chart, rising to #5.

Wynonie Harris hit #6 on the R&B chart with "Bloodshot Eyes".

"Born to Be With You" by the Chordettes hits #5.

Kansas City (Wilbert Harrison) was a hit.

Elvis guest-stars on a Frank Sinatra-hosted TV special, Welcome Home Elvis, and cuts his first post-Army recordings in Nashville. They yield the hit album Elvis Is Back and such million-selling singles as "It's Now or Never" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight."

If You Wanna Be Happy (Jimmy Soul) was a hit.

Tighten Up (Archie Bell & The Drells) was a hit.

"Right Place Wrong Time," by Dr. John, enters the singles chart, where it will peak at #9. Allen Toussaint produced, arranged, played and sang on the song, which was Dr. John's commercial zenith.

Sweet hits #2 on the UK charts with "Hellraiser."

Dobie Gray hits #5 with "Drift Away".

'Houses of the Holy,' Led Zeppelin’s fifth album, becomes their third to reach #1.

The Streak (Ray Stevens) was a hit.

Robert Fripp of King Crimson releases solo album, 'Exposure'.

The Allman Brothers Band dissolves acrimoniously, albeit temporarily.

Don't You (Forget About Me) (Simple Minds) was a hit.

Faster Pussycat hits #28 with "House of Pain".

MTV Europe takes second Astra transponder to increase reach in Southern Europe.

'So Goes Love', the last studio album of Charles Brown's career, is released on the Verve label.

Richard Steven Valenzuela, better known as Ritchie Valens, is born in Los Angeles.

Bull Moose Jackson hits #10 on the R&B chart with "Sneaky Pete," #3 on the R&B chart with "All My Love Belongs To You," #5 on the R&B chart with "I Want A Bowlegged Woman" and #1 on the R&B chart with "I Can't Go On Without You." All four singles are released on King Records.

Stevie Wonder was born.

Danny Kirwan is born.

Dinah Washington's Mercury single "Cold, Cold Heart" hits #3 on the R&B chart.

For their first recording, the Staples cut a 78 rpm single ("These They Are" b/w "Faith and Grace") and pressed it up on their own Royal label.

Chuck Berry hits #1 on the R&B chart and #3 on the pop chart with "School Day" and #6 on the R&B chart and #8 (12/23) on the pop chart with "Rock and Roll Music." Both singles are released on Chess Records.

The Platters hit #5 on the R&B chart and #16 on the pop chart with the Mercury Records single "He's Mine."

The Four Seasons reach #3 with "Let's Hang On".

"The Happening" by the Supremes hits #1.

Arthur Conley hits 32 with "Sweet Soul Music."

'ABC,' the Jackson 5's second album, is released. Two more -- 'Third Album' and 'The Jackson 5 Christmas Album' -- are released before the year is over.

Bowie declares his bisexuality in the British Magazine 'Melody Maker.' In later years, he distances himself from such statements.

Don McLean hits #12 with "Vincent".

You Are the Sunshine of My Life (Stevie Wonder) was a hit.

Bob Wills dies of pneumonia at a Fort Worth, Texas, nursing home.

Slade hits #7 in the UK with "Thanks For the Memory (Wham Bam Thank You Mam)."

'Rastaman Vibration,' by Bob Marley and the Wailers – and featuring an American, Don Kinsey, on lead guitar – is released. It becomes Marley’s highest-charting album, reaching #8 in the U.S. and #15 in the U.K.

Robert Flack & Donnie Hathaway hit #2 with "The Closer I Get To You".

Robert Fripp releases 'God Save the Queen/Heavy Manners', featuring an electronic style dubbed "Frippertronics".

"I'll Be There For You" by Bon Jovi tops the US charts.

Bon Jovi hits #1 with "I'll Be There For You"

May 14th

Bobby Darin was born.

Gene Cornish was born.

Dinah Washington's Mercury single "It's Too Soon To Know" hits #2 on the R&B chart.

Jackie Jackson was born.

David Byrne of Talking Heads is born in Dumbarton, Scotland.

Fabian hits #5 with "Hold That Tiger". It will say there for five months.

Groovin' (The Young Rascals) was a hit.

The Strawbs form.

Keith Relf of the Yardbirds dies of electrocution in his London home.

Talking Heads perform in London, where they meet Brian Eno, late of Roxy Music. He will subsequently produce three Talking Heads albums and cut an album ('My Life in the Bush of Ghosts') with David Byrne.

With a Little Luck (Wings) was a hit.

ABC hits #4 in the UK with "The Look of Love".

Duran Duran hits #14 in the US with "Rio".

MTV devotes a 45 minutes weekly special to the artists featured on the AMC High Priority album which benefits AMC's public awareness campaign for breast cancer research.

Led Zeppelin reunites, with drummer Jason Bonham (the late John Bonham's son), to perform a few songs at Atlantic Records' 40th anniversary concert at New York's Madison Square Garden.

Forever Your Girl (Paula Abdul) was a hit.

'Dreams,' the Allman Brothers Band's career-spanning box set, is released.

Joe Liggins hits #3 on the R&B chart with the Exclusive release of "Blow Mr. Jackson."

Frank Zappa's film, '200 Motels', premieres.

The Mothers of Invention perform with the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Zubin Mehta. Frank Zappa cues the esteemed conductor with the command, "Hit it, Zuben!"

Bread hits #4 with "If".

Stevie Wonder hits #3 with "Boogie on Reggae Woman".

Sir Duke (Stevie Wonder) was a hit.

Duran Duran hits #5 in the UK with "Hungry Like the Wolf".

"Let's Dance", featuring Stevie Ray Vaughn on guitar, is David Bowie's first #1 hit in both the US and UK.

MTV officially launches first licensed line of clothing and accessories with products including clothing, sunglasses, footwear, hats, bags, watches, beach chairs and beach towels.

MTV pays tribute to the music of Nirvana in the wake of the recent suicide of the band's composer and lead singer Kurt Cobain. The two-hour special, hosted by Kurt Loder, features rare performances and videos from throughout the band's career, as well as exclusive interviews with the bands members and people who had the chance to work with them.

Suede's 'Head Music' reaches #1.

Joe Liggins hits #2 on the R&B chart with "Left A Good Deal In Mobile."

Classical composer Karlheinz Stockhausen proposes his theory of electronic music.

"(The Best Part of) Breaking Up" by the Ronettes charts at #39.

Ticket to Ride (The Beatles) was a hit.

Silly Love Songs (Wings) was a hit.

Bad Company hits #13 with "Rock and Roll Fantasy".

Jethro Tull hits #19 in the US with 'Broadsword and the Beast'.

Poison hits #9 with "Talk Dirty to Me".

Thanks to Willie Dixon’s Blues Heaven Foundation, the former Chess Records Office and Studio at 2120 S. Michigan Avenue in Chicago is officially recognized as a protected Chicago Landmark.

MTV presents the networks; inaugural MTV Sports Festival, a free, MTV-style sports event which travels to 10 cities nationwide. Pepsi in the presenting sponsor and Reebok International Ltd. is the associate sponsor.

Britney Spears releases her sophomore album, 'Oops...I Did It Again'. The first single is the title track.

Little Richard hits #4 on the R&B chart and #10 on the pop chart with the Specialty release "Good Golly, Miss Molly".

The Flamingos hit #11 with "I Only Have Eyes For You".

Cathy's Clown (The Everly Brothers) was a hit.

Muddy Waters records Willie Dixon’s “You Shook Me,” a classic blues that will later be covered by Led Zeppelin on their self-titled debut album.

Moog introduces the first analog synthesizer.

Bob Dylan and the Hawks (a.k.a. The Band) perform at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester, England. Dylan is booed by folk purists who object to his appearing with an electric band. This widely bootlegged concert, often misidentified as having been performed at London’s Royal Albert Hall, is officially released 22 years later as 'Live 1966.'

The Grateful Dead’s self-titled first album, a potpourri of blues, bluegrass and psychedelic rock, is released on Warner Bros. Records.

Simon and Garfunkel hit #7 with "The Boxer."

Having worked their way up from the street, the Santana Blues Band performs at San Francisco's storied Avalon Ballroom. They soon become regulars at the Fillmore West, and Bill Graham himself manages the band.

After unsuccessfully negotiating a new contract with Atlantic Records, Jim Stewart sells Stax Records to Gulf + Western.

Rock artists such as Pink Floyd, the Who, and Yes incorporate synthesizers into their work.

Kraftwerk forms.

The U.S. Senate begins the Watergate hearings, investigating the Nixon Administration's involvement in illegal campaign activities.

Led Zeppelin hits #38 with "Trampled Under Foot".

Queen hits #12 in the US with "Killer Queen."

Echo & the Bunnymen hit #62 in the UK with "Rescue".

Van Halen hits #3 with "Why Can't This Be Love".

After nine years of fighting, Soviet troops begin withdrawing from Afghanistan.

The Traveling Wilburys – a low-key supergroup comprising Tom Petty, George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Jeff Lynne and Roy Orbison – come together to record their first album, which is released in October.

Big Joe Turner was born in Kansas City, MO.

Amos Milburn hits #1 on the R&B chart with the Aladdin single "Bewildered."

The Vibranaires, a vocal group from Baltimore, Maryland, change their name to the Orioles at the suggestion of record executive Jerry Blaine.

Having been promoted to RCA’s manager of operations, Chet Atkins persuades the label to build its own office and studio in Nashville. The result is the world-famous RCA Studio B, a.k.a. “the house that Chet built.”

LaVern Baker hits #2 on the R&B chart and #6 (2/23/59) on the pop chart with the Atlantic single "I Cried A Tear."

Little Willie John is imprisoned after being convicted of manslaughter.

Student demonstrations and riots in the streets of Paris, coupled with labor strikes, virtually shut down the city.

Archie Bell & the Drells hit #1 with "Tighten Up".

Get Back (The Beatles) was a hit.

"Dancing Machine," one of the Jackson 5's last big hits for Motown, reaches #1 on the R&B chart and #2 on the pop chart.

Lobo hits #37 with "Standing at the End of the Line."

Shining Star (Earth, Wind & Fire) was a hit.

Peter Gabriel leaves Genesis to pursue a solo career. Drummer Phil Collins eventually replaces Gabriel as lead singer for the group.

Shaun Cassidy, half brother of David Cassidy, releases 'Shaun Cassidy' (which ends up going gold) and "Da Doo Ron Ron" (which tops the charts) at the same time.

The Buddy Holly Story, a popular film biography starring Gary Busey in the title role, is released. Twelve years later, the actor pays a quarter of a million dollars at auction for an acoustic guitar that belonged to Holly.

Mt. St. Helens erupts.

Ian Curtis (Joy Division) takes his own life.

Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes of the Buggles join Yes.

Tom Petty withholds the tapes for Hard Promises, his fourth album, until MCA abandons plans to hike the list price from $8.98 to $9.98.

'The Complete Carnegie Hall Concert,' an unabridged double-CD version of Pete Seeger's historic 'Carnegie Hall concert' from 1963, is released.

Traffic reunites for a US reunion tour.

'1977' by Ash reaches #1.

The Backstreet Boys release their sophomore album, 'Millennium'.

'Honey to the B' by English pop princess Billie is released. "Because We Want To" is her first British single to debut at #1.

Pete Townshend was born.

The Gypsy (The Ink Spots) was a hit.

The Charles Brown Trio releases three singles on Aladdin Records: "Get Yourself Another Foll" (#4 R&B), "Trouble Blues" (#1 R&B) and "In the Evening With the Sun Goes Down" (#4 R&B).

Jeffrey Hyman (a.k.a. Joey Ramone) is born in Forest Hills, Queens, New York.

Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers hits #3 on the R&B chart and #13 on the pop chart with (5/19) "I Want You To Be My Girl", #10 on the R&B chart with "I Promise To Remember", #7 on the R&B chart with "Who Can Explain?" and #8 on the R&B chart with "The ABC's of Love." All four singles are released on Gee Records.

The Platters hit #4 on the R&B chart and #4 on the pop chart with the Mercury Records release "(You've Got) The Magic Touch."

LaVern Baker hits #7 on the R&B chart with the Atlantic single "Jim Dandy Got Married."

Gilbert O'Sullivan #17 with "Out of the Question".

Yes hits #12 in the US with 'Yessongs'.

The Average White Band hits #1 with "Pick Up the Pieces" and #10 with "Cut the Cake".

Everything She Wants (Wham! ) was a hit.

MTV spends the summer at its new Beach House in Malibu, California.

Rod Stewart releases 'When We Were the New Boys,' which contains songs by Oasis, the Waterboys, Elvis Costello, Graham Parker and Nick Lowe – as well as the Faces and Stewart himself.

Milt Gabler was born.

Johnny Moore's Three Blazers, featuring Charles Brown hit #2 on the R&B chart with "Drifting Blues".

The Ravens hit #8 on the R&B chart with "Bye Bye Baby Blues."

Etta and Harvey hit #6 on the R&B charts with the Chess release of "If I Can't Have You."

"Groovin'" becomes the Rascals' second chart-topping single. It holds down the top spot for four weeks, finally giving way to Aretha Franklin's "Respect"—which was also on Atlantic Records.

Gene Pitney cracks the U.S. Top Forty for the last time with “She’s a Heartbreaker,” which reaches #16.

Frankenstein (The Edgar Winter Group) was a hit.

The Michael Zager Band hits #36 with "Let's All Chant".

Let's Hear It for the Boy (Deniece Williams) was a hit.

Hourglass, James Taylor's first studio album in eight years, is released to glowing notices.

Back
Top Bottom